Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   do you train in bad light sometimes? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/do-you-train-bad-light-sometimes-108114/)

uanda 06-23-2014 08:25 PM

do you train in bad light sometimes?

That's when most attacks occur (statistically). Do you have tritium sight inserts? They are a huge help to fast hitting. I find using them makes my hits come a "hair" faster (.10-20 second) than getting the same hits takes me in daylight. That is, at least to 10 yds, which is all I care about.

Axxe55 06-23-2014 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uanda (Post 1594616)
That's when most attacks occur (statistically). Do you have tritium sight inserts? They are a huge help to fast hitting. I find using them makes my hits come a "hair" faster (.10-20 second) than getting the same hits takes me in daylight. That is, at least to 10 yds, which is all I care about.

i think one of the big rules of proper gun safety is knowing your target.

IOW's, i think a person should identify their target before firing. so being faster may not be the prudent manner of shooting if a person doesn't know what they are shooting at.

7point62 06-26-2014 06:57 PM

The cone cells in your eyes take 10-15 minutes to adjust to total darkness. In a HD situation at night you should be pretty well adjusted to the light/dark conditions in your own home. If you've been in bed with your eyes closed for a few hours, you're there. And some people keep a few small lights on at night.

The only time I actively shoot in low-light conditions, (now that I can't shoot at Communists anymore), is when I hunt pigs after dusk. I use a 30-30 with iron sights, a small dab of white Testors paint on the front sight post. When Porky shows up, my eyes are adjusted.

7point62 06-27-2014 12:05 PM

And BTW, if the BG is standing over you when you open your eyes, have a nice trip. Maybe along with tritium sight inserts, invest in some security devices or even a dog. Forewarned is forearmed.

Axxe55 06-27-2014 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7point62 (Post 1596289)
And BTW, if the BG is standing over you when you open your eyes, have a nice trip. Maybe along with tritium sight inserts, invest in some security devices or even a dog. Forewarned is forearmed.

i agree. a dog, any dog that barks and announces and intruder is worth it's weight in gold.

and if a person lives in an apartment or rent house or can't have a dog, maybe due to allergies, then they should invest is some sort of alarm system.

an alarm system, or a dog warning you of an intruder may buy you the time to save your life, by allowing you to get your gun and your eyes open.

Winchester94 06-27-2014 04:11 PM

I've done some dry fire practice in my house recently in low light and no light recently. It has definitely showed me that I desperately need a more modern handgun with better sights for home defense.

Rentacop 06-28-2014 04:57 AM

I have Tritium night sights on my 1911 . I tried drawing and sighting in a dark bathroom and found I mistook one of the rear dots for the front dot . These sights are worthless as far as I'm concerned .

Makes me sure the OP is a troll .

Shoobee 06-28-2014 05:02 AM

I took a dusk and night tactical pistol class taught by local LEO's.

Most of it involved holding a small tactical flashlight while shooting, using light and shadows to your advantage, etc.

7point62 06-28-2014 01:14 PM

Tactical flashlights are useful, especially in an unfamiliar setting or where there might be innocent bystanders. The disadvantage is that you sacrifice stealth.

JimRau 06-28-2014 03:21 PM

Yes I do. And I consider 'night sights' a necessity on all my carry guns!:) And a 'light' handy to ID the target.;)