Do you practice one handed ? - Page 7
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Do you practice one handed ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2014, 11:08 AM   #61
I used to play keyboards, but now ...
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3039 Times on 1841 Posts
Likes Given: 2942

Playing piano forces you to develop some dexterity in both hands.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.
People Like This 
Old 07-11-2014, 11:36 AM   #62
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8165 Times on 4211 Posts
Likes Given: 9379

My Right eye sucks bad even corrected, always has and I learned to improvise and overcome starting the day I got my first Red Rider. I shoot Lefty and Righty but Im a more accurate lefty even though Im a Righty for almost everything else. I hate that most weapons arent built for me but have dealt with that pretty successfully for all of my life, its NBD. That has also helped with my career as an electronics Tech because Im nearly ambidextrous. Injuries to my dominant appendage have forced me to situation-ally become a lefty and other than writing, I can do OK with it if I must (hell you cnt read my writing when I write with my Right hand either). Probably not a bad idea for those that do anything as a right handed person to try lefty here and there just to get a feel for how that will work if they absolutely have no choice. Otherwise you might just end up like a one legged man in an ass kicking contest, useless!

Old 07-11-2014, 02:43 PM   #63

Liked 266 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post
My Right eye sucks bad even corrected, always has and I learned to improvise and overcome starting the day I got my first Red Rider. I shoot Lefty and Righty but Im a more accurate lefty even though Im a Righty for almost everything else. I hate that most weapons arent built for me but have dealt with that pretty successfully for all of my life, its NBD. That has also helped with my career as an electronics Tech because Im nearly ambidextrous. Injuries to my dominant appendage have forced me to situation-ally become a lefty and other than writing, I can do OK with it if I must (hell you cnt read my writing when I write with my Right hand either). Probably not a bad idea for those that do anything as a right handed person to try lefty here and there just to get a feel for how that will work if they absolutely have no choice. Otherwise you might just end up like a one legged man in an ass kicking contest, useless!
No two shooters are exactly alike . Some pistol shooters who are weak side eye dominant move their heads over a little and shoot with their dominant eyes. Some learn to shoot with their weak side hands . Some close the dominant eye and shoot with the strong-side eye .

With rifles, this is more of a problem , especially if one has better vision in one eye than the other .
YMMV

Old 07-11-2014, 07:23 PM   #64
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 746 Times on 498 Posts

I grouped better with my offhand ( left) than my strong hand(right) today while practicing one handed. I do write lefty so that may explain it. Or maybe I just am not a good shooter? 😕

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Old 07-12-2014, 03:36 AM   #65

Liked 154 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Very rarely do i shoot with two hands on the gun, even the hot loaded .44. If i have to use it I don't take time to drop whatever may be in my other hand. A flashlight in my other hand, after dark is pretty necessary.
If you are expecting trouble, you don't wear rings or watches and i don't occupy both hand with the gun. I think I'm as accurate with one hand as stiff arming with two especially at anything under 30 yards or any range. Shooting deer with .357 I've never used both hands. Getting older I might consder using both hands as age has taken some things but don't really see the need now. I shot a few days ago, at some targets, on my property and other than needing to shoot more did good.

Old 07-12-2014, 05:29 AM   #66

Liked 266 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinbucket View Post
Very rarely do i shoot with two hands on the gun, even the hot loaded .44. If i have to use it I don't take time to drop whatever may be in my other hand. A flashlight in my other hand, after dark is pretty necessary.
If you are expecting trouble, you don't wear rings or watches and i don't occupy both hand with the gun. I think I'm as accurate with one hand as stiff arming with two especially at anything under 30 yards or any range. Shooting deer with .357 I've never used both hands. Getting older I might consder using both hands as age has taken some things but don't really see the need now. I shot a few days ago, at some targets, on my property and other than needing to shoot more did good.
Two handed shooting is not done simply to improve accuracy . It is possible to shoot accurately one-handed .
As Jeff Cooper said, two-handed shooting gives you better burst control, allowing a higher rate of fire .

Old 07-12-2014, 11:49 AM   #67

Liked 355 Times on 261 Posts
Likes Given: 358

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacColt68 View Post
I grouped better with my offhand ( left) than my strong hand(right) today while practicing one handed. I do write lefty so that may explain it. Or maybe I just am not a good shooter? ��

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk
Same is true of me.

I was born left handed and they made me switch in kindergarten.

I can write with both now.

My left handed shooting is better, although I am right eyed.