Do you practice one handed ? - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety >

Do you practice one handed ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2014, 06:10 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
Well, maybe I'm just the lucky holdout who wound up at EVERY RANGE

where the RSOs have all had 19+ cups of coffee that day.

But in this area of the country, they won't even let you

shoot standing up, or with a bayonet extended.

If they're not riding you like Seabiscuit, they are charging you for

every target, staple, and breath you take while you're there.

Or, maybe, as I suspected all along, all the public ranges around here

just SUCK...
If I had to shoot a pistol at any range I would sell all of my pistils but a couple and they would not be fired a lot. I am not going to spend my money unless I am having fun. What is FUBAREd is the more a range charges the more hateful they are,

Old 06-30-2014, 11:48 PM   #42

Liked 245 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Shoobee, watch this and tell me I suck terribly. I'm not the greatest shot in the world by any measure, but I think I'm doing semi-OK.
Please ignore the commercial message.

If you hate commercial messages like the above video, try this one.

I am not great, and I am not terrible - I qualify Expert or Distinguished Expert with our Glock 19s every year. Can't stand those things, either.
I am also not afraid to put out what I can/can't do. I think I don't do too bad for a fat old man. I think I will stick to what I know and what works for me.

NOW, back to one handed shooting - did about 200 rounds this morning using the above pictured 1/2 scale IDPA target at 10 yards, weak hand only drills, shooting from simulated "holding the wounded arm" type stances. Dadgum CZ P-01 refused to miss, DA or SA. Used the SP-01 Phantom in weak hand and strong hand only, boringly accurate...until I got cocky, and moved Thugly the Steel Target to 25 yards and tried weak hand with the Phantom...I hit 3 out of 5, but one miss made a nice neat hole in my stand leg...*sigh*...

Last edited by armoredman; 06-30-2014 at 11:51 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-30-2014, 11:56 PM   #43

Or this one, where I, as usual, poke fun at my own abilities. :P

Old 07-01-2014, 12:11 AM   #44

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I was interested in LAGZ gunsmithing I need a new firing pin for my 870 shotgun and I go to that range all the time we ve probably seen each other before

Old 07-01-2014, 12:42 AM   #45

Liked 45 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I prefer shooting one handed. Always shot a bit better that way, especially starting out. No idea why I just do

Old 07-01-2014, 01:12 AM   #46

LAGS is a gunsmith in Mesa, good friend of mine - he comes down one Sunday a month or so to shoot with me on a Sunday. He'd be glad to talk to you.
I might have seen you there, but I normally go when the range is not quite so crowded - it's NUTS on Saturday and Sunday, but it's a great free, well maintained public, FREE range. Elzy Pearson is the official name of it.

Old 07-02-2014, 02:09 AM   #47

Liked 266 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by armoredman View Post
Thanks guys, but all the instructors I've been to for the last 35+ years never had any issue with it, including the Dept. One doesn't cross one's thumbs BEHIND the slide, like on a revolver. My one over the other is better seen here.

Do you practice one handed ? - Training & Safety

As you can see, the bottom thumb is under the beaver tail, and the top thumb laid along over it. The top thumb is over an inch from any moving part, as well

Now I've seen people who try to shoot revolvers try, and fail, with crossing thumbs behind the slide. Ugly mess. Lots of screaming and bleeding, hate it. Blood really ruins a good bluing....
Your grip is safe but Bill Rogers, on his DVD , recommends placing the weak hand thumb lower so your weak hand is able to fill the space left by your strong hand, thereby achieving 360 degree grip on the gun . He and others say that grip is better for accuracy . Makes you wonder how Bullseye competitors ever hit their targets one-handed LOL .

Old 07-02-2014, 08:04 AM   #48

Liked 2611 Times on 1484 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
If I had to shoot a pistol at any range I would sell all of my pistils but a couple and they would not be fired a lot. I am not going to spend my money unless I am having fun. What is FUBAREd is the more a range charges the more hateful they are,
So we continue back to the question of how many of us help others,

by allowing them the opportunity to shoot, using methods which ranges

restrict you from using?

Old 07-02-2014, 09:27 PM   #49
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2292 Times on 1363 Posts
Likes Given: 1231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentacop View Post
Your grip is safe but Bill Rogers, on his DVD , recommends placing the weak hand thumb lower so your weak hand is able to fill the space left by your strong hand, thereby achieving 360 degree grip on the gun . He and others say that grip is better for accuracy . Makes you wonder how Bullseye competitors ever hit their targets one-handed LOL .
I still cross my thumbs when I shoot a revolver, but since I stopped crossing them when I shoot a semi-auto I shoot much better.

Old 07-03-2014, 04:28 PM   #50

Liked 266 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I know I'm old and forgetful but I could swear that I posted some stuff that must have been removed from this thread . I try not to post anything the least bit controversial or disparaging to anyone and humbly apologize if anything I said sounded offensive .

__________________________________________________ ______________ " Bullseye shooters do it with one hand "