Do you practice one handed ?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Do you practice one handed ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2014, 02:57 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 572 Times on 274 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Default Do you practice one handed ?

I am new so sorry if this has been covered.

Recently, after much reading on self-defense tactics and true to life situations, I have begun adding one handed shooting to my practice.

I generally shoot in a normal target shooters stance, two hands, proper grip, seeking accuracy at different distances. But keeping in the back of my mind, I may someday be in a defensive situation. My attacker may not exactly wait for me to get in a good stance or I may be in a position where I cannot do that.

So I have been practicing part of the time from low ready to shooting one handed. With practice I have improved and I note that in that very rapid situation, front blade seems to be my friend.

Anyway, curious is people do this....

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-22-2014, 03:12 PM   #2

Liked 1981 Times on 1090 Posts
Likes Given: 1311

I practice two handed, one handed, weak handed, firing from behind cover, dropping to a knee behind low cover and a lot of other stuff.

Shooting one handed and weak handed are important skills. If you were actually involved in a real life or death situation there is a good chance that you would end up injured. What if the injury is to your shooting hand? Or even your weak hand?

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

People Like This 
Old 06-22-2014, 03:18 PM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

more importantly, really, is realizing how up close and really swiftly things happen and train for that. Just ask George Z about it.

Old 06-22-2014, 03:39 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 572 Times on 274 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Default Very true

I will have to start practicing weak hand ...That might be interesting ! The guys at the range may want to give me room..LOL

Old 06-22-2014, 04:12 PM   #5

Liked 769 Times on 601 Posts

anyone who is around guns knows that the german word 'gwhun' means cannon. (gun.)

therefore a hand gun is a hand cannon. not hand(s) gun.
a hand gun is meant to be an extension of your hand.

if you own a hand gun and cant fire it one handed, it defies the reason why they exist.

Retired Naval Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
Contact Man for the FTF Shotgun Shoot
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

Old 06-22-2014, 04:15 PM   #6

Liked 769 Times on 601 Posts

2 handed proper grip.
sorry, i must giggle.
2 handed shooting came about in the late 50's. it was always one handed before then.

Retired Naval Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
Contact Man for the FTF Shotgun Shoot
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

People Like This 
Old 06-22-2014, 05:30 PM   #7

Liked 205 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 109

The Calif CCW test in my county requires one-handed shooting with each hand, so I have begun practicing this recently, since taking the required class for the permit.

What I have found is that you get the best results on target if your turn completely sideways to the target, as in archery when shooting a bow, for one handed shooting.

Old 06-22-2014, 05:32 PM   #8

Liked 205 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant_one View Post
I will have to start practicing weak hand ...That might be interesting ! The guys at the range may want to give me room..LOL
It is indeed very interesting !!!

But I think you will enjoy it and learn a lot.

The thought being that if your strong hand gets injured in a gun battle, you may need to revert to your weaker hand and also one handed with it.

Old 06-22-2014, 05:41 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 469 Times on 312 Posts

I usually do a little one handed and some off hand. Never hurts to at least have some basic off hand skill in case of injury.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Old 06-22-2014, 05:45 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2445 Times on 1707 Posts
Likes Given: 1245

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
The Calif CCW test in my county requires one-handed shooting with each hand, so I have begun practicing this recently, since taking the required class for the permit.

What I have found is that you get the best results on target if your turn completely sideways to the target, as in archery when shooting a bow, for one handed shooting.
That's a dueling stance. It was de rigueur for 400 years.

Military handguns were mostly pointed rather than aimed. The handgun sights were primitive, or none.

I shoot one handed occasionally, only when bored with making ragged holes two-handed