Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Do you practice one handed ? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/do-you-practice-one-handed-108069/)

Defiant_one 06-22-2014 01:57 PM

Do you practice one handed ?

I am new so sorry if this has been covered.

Recently, after much reading on self-defense tactics and true to life situations, I have begun adding one handed shooting to my practice.

I generally shoot in a normal target shooters stance, two hands, proper grip, seeking accuracy at different distances. But keeping in the back of my mind, I may someday be in a defensive situation. My attacker may not exactly wait for me to get in a good stance or I may be in a position where I cannot do that.

So I have been practicing part of the time from low ready to shooting one handed. With practice I have improved and I note that in that very rapid situation, front blade seems to be my friend.

Anyway, curious is people do this....

Rick1967 06-22-2014 02:12 PM

I practice two handed, one handed, weak handed, firing from behind cover, dropping to a knee behind low cover and a lot of other stuff.

Shooting one handed and weak handed are important skills. If you were actually involved in a real life or death situation there is a good chance that you would end up injured. What if the injury is to your shooting hand? Or even your weak hand?

uanda 06-22-2014 02:18 PM

more importantly, really, is realizing how up close and really swiftly things happen and train for that. Just ask George Z about it.

Defiant_one 06-22-2014 02:39 PM

Very true

I will have to start practicing weak hand ...That might be interesting ! The guys at the range may want to give me room..LOL

bobski 06-22-2014 03:12 PM

anyone who is around guns knows that the german word 'gwhun' means cannon. (gun.)

therefore a hand gun is a hand cannon. not hand(s) gun.
a hand gun is meant to be an extension of your hand.

if you own a hand gun and cant fire it one handed, it defies the reason why they exist.

bobski 06-22-2014 03:15 PM

2 handed proper grip.
sorry, i must giggle.
2 handed shooting came about in the late 50's. it was always one handed before then.

Shoobee 06-22-2014 04:30 PM

The Calif CCW test in my county requires one-handed shooting with each hand, so I have begun practicing this recently, since taking the required class for the permit.

What I have found is that you get the best results on target if your turn completely sideways to the target, as in archery when shooting a bow, for one handed shooting.

Shoobee 06-22-2014 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Defiant_one (Post 1593977)
I will have to start practicing weak hand ...That might be interesting ! The guys at the range may want to give me room..LOL

It is indeed very interesting !!!

But I think you will enjoy it and learn a lot.

The thought being that if your strong hand gets injured in a gun battle, you may need to revert to your weaker hand and also one handed with it.

CardiacColt68 06-22-2014 04:41 PM

I usually do a little one handed and some off hand. Never hurts to at least have some basic off hand skill in case of injury.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Mercator 06-22-2014 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoobee (Post 1594038)
The Calif CCW test in my county requires one-handed shooting with each hand, so I have begun practicing this recently, since taking the required class for the permit.

What I have found is that you get the best results on target if your turn completely sideways to the target, as in archery when shooting a bow, for one handed shooting.

That's a dueling stance. It was de rigueur for 400 years.

Military handguns were mostly pointed rather than aimed. The handgun sights were primitive, or none.

I shoot one handed occasionally, only when bored with making ragged holes two-handed :D