Disarming An Attacker - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Disarming An Attacker

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2009, 05:28 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3179 Times on 1652 Posts
Likes Given: 322

I have taught similar techniques over the years. My primary consideration is always to be sure this is a do or die situation. If you can, continue talking while you work out the details of your plan. Slowly close your distance while trying to appear as a defenseless weasel. When you choose to act, do so with gusto. Speed and surprise are key to making this succeed. Once you start, go full on till the threat is neutralized. When I demo it to a new class, they are pretty amazed how quickly a 6'06" 280 # 40+ year old man to make them feel stupid, weak and dead.

Old 03-15-2009, 03:38 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4222 Times on 2354 Posts
Likes Given: 21223

In my youth,I spent many years in the martial arts,from the age of 17-35 !
I am now 56. Though I remember much of what I learned,I am not the man I once was.Unless I was sure the perp was going to kill me,I would not resist in anyway.Even then,It would be very stressful going from well schooled to just memory.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:07 PM   #13

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Real life isn't a demo. Too many variables to rely on even IF you are ever in that exact situation.

IMO it's not worth the time needed to be proffcient with.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:08 PM   #14

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Personally if someone is pointing a gun at me, I plan on having one pointed at him back, preferably bigger and with more ammo. My disarming would consist of making him **** himself and give up... Then again, no plan survives first contact...
"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Old 03-20-2009, 02:28 AM   #15

This is very very very... extremely dangerous to do... For most situations it is also not an option - look at how the situation is set up and then try to think of all the possible ways/direction/conditions under which you could be held at gunpoint. Dangerous to even let on that you are going to put up a fight.

If I were the guy being held up I would do what my assailant told me to do then when he turns to leave - if possible - I would pursue him with my own gun and shoot him if he didnt give me my shtuff back... of course thats not what I would tell the courts...

Old 03-20-2009, 07:54 PM   #16

Default You guys arent going to like me saying this but:

In my experience with 3 armed home invasion robberys that you can read about (and bump) in the introduction forum I really highly and seriously doubt that anybody can disarm an attacker.

When someone comes into your house they have their guns cocked and pointed right at you, i dont know about you guys, but with a gun pointed at me and a high crook on the other end my ass isnt going anywhere. They will stay 3 feet back from you and they arent gunna stand still like in youtube videos. The guys that robbed me were moving, pointing the gun at my stomach then my legs then head they didnt keep it stationary pointed at somewhere. They arent going to stand like stick figures right in front of you and say please and thank you. They are gunna be wild and out of controll and out of your house in 3 minutes

Seriously, if you go for their gun they are going to shoot your ass.

The main reason anybody is going to break into your house is to get money for drugs, and people stung out on drugs are not people. They dont think they seriously can not control their actions and they will pull the trigger without even thinking to first. And if they dont need money to GET high, they need money to get their NEXT high so they will have been steaking you out for hours sitting in their cars doing drugs and waiting.

Again i swear it, you can plan all you want but you never know how you will react when your in that position, its a fact.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:06 PM   #17

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

It's easy to disarm a bad guy.

Put three or more rounds into center mass. Feel free to use any caliber you wish for this step.

After the bad guy slumps to the ground, walk over and kick the firearm/knife/club/whatever from the bad guy's hand, and POOF, instant disarm...

Old 03-21-2009, 05:42 AM   #18

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER View Post
It's easy to disarm a bad guy.

Put three or more rounds into center mass. Feel free to use any caliber you wish for this step.

After the bad guy slumps to the ground, walk over and kick the firearm/knife/club/whatever from the bad guy's hand, and POOF, instant disarm...

I'd expect better from a CATM guy. Two to the chest, one to the head.
"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Old 03-21-2009, 01:31 PM   #19

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

My waste ammo?

Just put one to the head.

Ammo is getting expensive these days, anyway......

Old 03-21-2009, 01:52 PM   #20

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

I think it's stupid myself. Good technique though but a robber pulling a gun in that close is very unlikely unless they are stupid.

If someone tried that on me I'd probably grab the gun like he did and knife him in the neck or face. Knife is man's best friend.