Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Disarming An Attacker

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2009, 11:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Default Disarming An Attacker

I was cruising around YouTube and I found this video

It demonstrates some pretty good techniques to disarm an attacker who is pointing a gun at you. He mentions that by gripping the gun tight enough, you can prevent it from cycling the next round. Can this even be done? Does anyone have any first hand experience with this technique? I'd love to try it, but if its bullsh1t, I don't want to rip my hand up.

On a side note, I suggest watching some videos on Krav Maga. Crazy stuff.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Last edited by dnthmn2004; 02-19-2009 at 12:01 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-19-2009, 12:21 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

The guy's tactics ARE sound.

HOWEVER, you have to factor in that the person holding the weapon is using a single hand grip, and is standing RIGHT NEXT to a black belt martial artist.

Now, try that same "technique" against fellow Forum Member Rob Pincus, founder of I.C.E. Training.

You are going to end up with PROBABLY a kick to the knee, a kick to the groin AND atleast a couple of rounds in your body. Rob Pincus is a bad man.

Krav Maga is taught by the Israeli's to all their troops. It is one bad ass hand to hand martial art. That is NO JOKE....

JD

Old 02-19-2009, 12:27 AM   #3

Liked 210 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yes, you can jam the auto by gripping the slide when it is fired . If you push the slide out of battery, it won't even fire the first time . If it has an exposed SA hammer, you might be able to clamp the hammer in place .
If you get your hand's web in front of a revolver's hammer, it will cushion the hammer blow ( a cop saved his own life by doing this as a gun to his head was snapped 3 or 4 times . I recall the primers were dented ! ) . If you grip the cylinder very tightly, a revolver won't fire .

Old 02-19-2009, 06:08 AM   #4

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Sound technique, however caution to those who would attempt this without training. Speed and strength are involved here although it doesn't seem so by watching the vid. These manipulations take time to master and practice to perfect and I'm talking years.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:01 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Can't stream video at work, but the technique I'm familiar with will have you getting yourself off line of fire as grab the offenders firearm firmly and aggressively rotate it against the thumb. The goal is to defeat the weak thumb, hopefully break the index finger, and strip the gun away. The idea is that action beats reaction, so the offender is surprised may not react, or may only fire one round after the grab (the reason you get off line).

The firm grip will keep a semi-auto from cycling so if you don't get the gun stripped away at least you're fighting over a jammed pistol. Most people who are not anticipating the take-away will lose their gun before they can react.

JD is correct in that this technique would be more difficult against a trained assailant anticipating the takeaway, luckily that doesn't describe most bangers that are likely to surprise you in a parking lot. I think if I encountered Rob Pincus with his firearm already presented I would do what he told me to.

As far as holding the slide to prevent the weapon from cycling, yes this works. If you decide to verify this, be VERY aware of the muzzle & muzzle blast. You can do this by taking a firm grip on the slide at the rear serrations with your off hand. Remember, the energy that you are containing is the recoil impulse, you are just keeping it from cycling the slide.

And you can stop a revolver from firing by grabbing hard onto the cylinder, as long as the gun is firing double action. Double action fire on a revolver rotates the cylinder, bring the round into battery for lack of better terminolgy, and then drops the hammer. If the hammer is cocked, the live round is already under hammer. Best hope with a cocked revolver is getting the meat of your hand in front of the hammer, or taking the gun away with a disarming technique...

...or doing what the nice man tells you to do.

PS: Speaking of Rob Pincus, I notice his sidearm on The Best Defense (Outdoor Channel TV Show) is often what appears to be a Walther P99. I wonder if this is sidearm of choice, and if so what features does he like about the pistol.

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Last edited by Bighead; 02-19-2009 at 09:16 AM.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:00 AM   #6

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

best way to disarm someone in my eyes is shoot their azz first then kick the gun away from the body.

Now look up Natgeo channel and watch Fight Science show. This show shows you what happens when you do this stuff and the mechanics behind it. If you haven't seen this show WATCH IT NOW. If you want to see some BADAZZ MEN watch the Spec ops one. It is amazing what these guys can do and make their bodies do.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:17 AM   #7

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
Sound technique, however caution to those who would attempt this without training. Speed and strength are involved here although it doesn't seem so by watching the vid. These manipulations take time to master and practice to perfect and I'm talking years.
+ 1 dunerunner, watching this on utube then using it in self defense will get you dead!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-19-2009, 02:56 PM   #8

Liked 39 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
best way to disarm someone in my eyes is shoot their azz first then kick the gun away from the body.
+1 on cpttango
In here we say "quieto es quieto" ....like "freeze is freeze"
*the BG in here says "quieto" (freeze) when they catch you...
Most of us are prey of robbers and thieves, not murderers.... if someone make such thing like put a gun in your face is because he have a reason... he want something; If he want to kill you he won't hesitate in talk to you, just pull the trigger and start running...
So if a BG put a handgun in your face the most probable thing that going to happen is that he ask for your wallet, money or watch...give it to him! It’s very improbable that you can do right a maneuver like that; probably the BG is more scarred that you! if he is this scared he could slip the finger and shoot you because he notice your intentions or he scared for any "suspicious" movement... You wallet, watch or money don't worth the risk; jeopardize your life like that for money is not the most intelligent thing that you can do.
The best fight is the one that is avoided. Prevent an incident of that kind, avoid that he put the gun in your face or on the back of your head... once you are in that compromise don't try anything stupid!
All that happens because your awareness level... If you are in a "white state" (or white alarm level)... that is going to happen to you, be "orange state" all the time, if you see any suspicious thing happening around you, become "red state"... put your hand in the grip, start watch all around you (most of the predators don't work alone, like wolves)... If you realized the situation, but it was late to act ... then you got screwed up, don't try nothing stupid... money can't replace you in your family, as a father of you sons, as husband of your wife, as son of your elders parents...
“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that, my dear friend, is the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Dr. Adrian Rogers”

TELL CHAVEZ NOW! CLICK HERE

Old 02-19-2009, 03:14 PM   #9

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighead View Post

PS: Speaking of Rob Pincus, I notice his sidearm on The Best Defense (Outdoor Channel TV Show) is often what appears to be a Walther P99. I wonder if this is sidearm of choice, and if so what features does he like about the pistol.
I actually asked him that in one of the threads he was responding too and he did reply. I will see if I can dig that information up for you BH.

JD

Old 02-19-2009, 04:00 PM   #10

I have A LOT of years in the martial arts, and I think gun disarms are a losing proposition. Too much can go wrong TOO quickly. Obviously when SHTF you do what you must, but if you are at the point where you are grabbing for the other guy's gun, something has already gone horribly wrong.

That being said, if you want to learn this, PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. You need to practice against a resisting opponent, with a realistic training weapon. (Airsoft works...wear goggles).

Practice all day, and see how many times you get shot. It should give you an idea of how tricky this stuff is.