Did i respond correctly? What would you have done? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Did i respond correctly? What would you have done?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2013, 02:57 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts

I live in arizona and im 19 i i need to be 21 to to obtain a concealed carried license, gun laws are pretty friendly. my stedpdad works night shifts he is the one that has the concealed carry license but he works night shifts, and its just me my mom the dogs and our glock during the night i chambered a round as soon as i grabbed. it my mom got scared and yelled dont shoot It! i said ok i know what im doing and went outside to look around. the glock was loaded and i do feel confident controlling the gun even though there really isnt a safety except the trigger, i know what im doing with it. im just not confident and not sure how to react if there actually is a threat or somone there trying to steal my motorcycle my intention is to have it just in case the guy does have a knife or a gun i dont want to shoot and kill somone if they are just going to steal something. I only want to kill if my family me or my little dogs are going to be hurt. i think im going to buy my own 12 guage and load the first round with a bean bag and the rest with 00 buckshot for home defense. Is this a good option? What do you guys think as opposed to a lethal only option?

Old 06-29-2013, 03:00 PM   #12
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 974 Times on 639 Posts
Likes Given: 230

If you are carrying empty chamber, racking a round into a unholstered Glock, then running out into the night, gun in hand, sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Leave that gun in the holster until you encounter a situation that requires a gun.

Dedicated holster that only fits your gun, with a level 2 rentention system would be a good goal.

Insure the motorcycle, stay in the house, with the safety that gives you.

Last edited by AR10; 07-10-2013 at 06:56 AM.

Old 06-29-2013, 03:07 PM   #13
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2166 Times on 1180 Posts
Likes Given: 786

You're not wrong for chambering a round. My carry gun has a round chambered at all times.

Now comes the ubiquitous - HOWEVER, local laws vary. What may have been reasonable carry in one location may have been considered brandishing in another... blah, blah, blah.

The important thing is to be educated and get training. Check out this website to find NRA certified training in your area:
http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA
Mason609 Likes This 
Old 06-29-2013, 03:14 PM   #14
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 862 Times on 390 Posts
Likes Given: 389

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq357 View Post
Just now i thought sombody was trying to steal my motorcycle i live in a condo and i chain my motorcylce down in front of my house, i was watching tv and my mom bursts into my room and says son son! somebody is trying to steal your bike! someone is rattling the chains outside! Its 2:30 am and its not the first time someone has stolen something off my driveway so i grabbed my glock 19 ran outside and chambered a round. My gun was loaded and ready to go There was nobody out there after checking i wrote down a cars license plate i dont usually see in my complex and went back inside i am really shooken up and it all happend so fast my adrenaline was pumping and i wasn't even thinking i don't ever want to shoot anybody unless they are a real threat and they are going to hurt me or my family. did i overreact by chambering a round? Or should i identify the threat and then chamber a round? Where can i go to get proper training? i don't think i would have shot even if there was somebody. but now im questioning myself because of how intense my adrenaline was pumping and how fast i responded i want to be assured i wouldn't shoot unless it was a real danger or threat what kind of drills should i do? Did i respond correctly? What would you have done?
I think you did ok if some low life were attempting to steal my bike or anything else I would confront him and the next move would be his!
My firearm would be loaded and in condition-one!
After that whether he leaves horizontally or vertically is his decision to make.
We (free men) have the right to protect life and property and I personally resent the "insure it and walk away option" because now the "perpetrator" gets to steal from all of us! I'm shocked a what wimps we Americans have become!

ps If you had anything but a Glock I would recommend a round in the chamber at all times!

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Last edited by Pasquanel; 06-29-2013 at 03:16 PM. Reason: new thought
People Like This 
Old 06-29-2013, 03:17 PM   #15

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts

I agree but my stepdad dosent use a holster for the glock he just has it by the bed unholstered and chamber empty i will talk to him and recommend a holster the only saftey on a glock is the trigger the holster can act as another safety. Once i realized there was nobody out there i ejected the mag and cleared the chamber and walked back inside, i didnt want to do it inside because i have 5 little dogs and 1 visiting so 6 plus my mom so i cleared it outside. But what if While i was unloading the gun and he was waiting for me and some meth head ran at me with a knife? I do seriously need to get a holster. what do you guys think about a shotgun with the first round being a bean bag and the rest 00 buck?

Old 06-29-2013, 03:26 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2003 Times on 1186 Posts
Likes Given: 958

Quote:
I live in arizona and im 19 i i need to be 21 to to obtain a concealed carried license, gun laws are pretty friendly. my stedpdad works night shifts he is the one that has the concealed carry license but he works night shifts, and its just me my mom the dogs and our glock during the night i chambered a round as soon as i grabbed. it my mom got scared and yelled dont shoot It! i said ok i know what im doing and went outside to look around. the glock was loaded and i do feel confident controlling the gun even though there really isnt a safety except the trigger, i know what im doing with it. im just not confident and not sure how to react if there actually is a threat or somone there trying to steal my motorcycle my intention is to have it just in case the guy does have a knife or a gun i dont want to shoot and kill somone if they are just going to steal something. I only want to kill if my family me or my little dogs are going to be hurt. i think im going to buy my own 12 guage and load the first round with a bean bag and the rest with 00 buckshot for home defense. Is this a good option? What do you guys think as opposed to a lethal only option?
Go to the shotgun forum and read the thread which was just locked about shot size and shotguns.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 07-06-2013, 07:56 AM   #17
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1583 Times on 968 Posts
Likes Given: 8250

Quote:
I agree but my stepdad dosent use a holster for the glock he just has it by the bed unholstered and chamber empty i will talk to him and recommend a holster the only saftey on a glock is the trigger the holster can act as another safety. Once i realized there was nobody out there i ejected the mag and cleared the chamber and walked back inside, i didnt want to do it inside because i have 5 little dogs and 1 visiting so 6 plus my mom so i cleared it outside. But what if While i was unloading the gun and he was waiting for me and some meth head ran at me with a knife? I do seriously need to get a holster. what do you guys think about a shotgun with the first round being a bean bag and the rest 00 buck?
Hq, chambering a round before going out to asess the threat is the right choice. a BG is not going to give you the chance to chamber before attacking you. Condition 1 or don't even bother carrying.

As to the going out part, i don't know the laws in AZ, but here in NY we don't have a stand your ground or make my day law. here we are required to retreat if possible, and to some degree, even if it is not. Call the cops, wait inside, and try to get a good look at the perp so you can give the info needed for IDing him. If they try to break into your home, use force accordingly. that is the safest way to go. I know how pizzed I would be if some moron was messing with my bike, but it is nothing more than plastic, glass, metal, and rubber. is it worth risking your life over? Insurance exists for a reason.

As to using less than lethal rounds and fireing warning shots. Doing either of the above will get you in much more trouble than just putting a load of OO Buck into the scumbag when you are threatened. Less lethal and warning shots imply that you could have retreated, and you were not in a situation where your life was threatened. This can turn a case od self defense into a charge of manslaughter in a hurry. My definition of a warning shot is this:

Warning shot: What BG 2 &3 hear when that first load of OO Buck hit BG #1.

If they are dumb enough to stick around when #1 hits the ground, then they will meet up with him when he is holding open the gates of He!! when they get there.

Disclaimer: the above statements are mostly the opinion of the poster. I am not a lawyer, (but I did stay at a Holiday Inn ) and as such I do not give legal advice that is intended for use by anybody. learn your local laws and follow them. Just my $0.02. Use it as you will.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Mason609 Likes This 
Old 07-08-2013, 03:28 AM   #18

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts

I have done the same thing before. In Texas deadly force can be used to prevent burglary. However.... that can still be a sticky situation.

When I was a kid, a neighbor shot a man as he was breaking into his truck. He yelled from his 2nd story balcony to stop and leave his truck alone, the perp continued and as he opened the door and got in the man shot him. He wasnt charged with anything. Now of course I'm not saying to do this, or that its that easy to do - just sharing.

Here is a part of the Castle Law for Texas:

(C)**was committing or attempting to commit*aggravated kidnapping, murder, sexual assault, aggravated sexual*assault, robbery, or aggravated robbery;

Old 07-08-2013, 03:52 AM   #19

Liked 276 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I think you did the right thing.

Be ready to defend yourself.
But, keep in mind adrenaline can make you do/say crazy things, and you don't even realize till later when you're off that adrenaline "high".

Old 08-05-2013, 04:07 AM   #20

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
I would have called the cops unless your state law specifically allows you to use deadly force to protect property outside of your home.
Exactly. The first thing you need to do, and should do before or immediately upon purchasing a deadly weapon, is to read and FULLY understand your city and state's laws on protection of property. In this case, outside of an occupied dwelling. What someone else would do is no defense to you if you commit a crime with a deadly weapon (aggravates the crime to a felony).

And training - from whatever level you are - which raises your level of training to a higher or safer one, is always encouraged.

Steve

Doc3402 Likes This