Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Did i respond correctly? What would you have done?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2013, 09:58 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts

Default Did i respond correctly? What would you have done?

Just now i thought sombody was trying to steal my motorcycle i live in a condo and i chain my motorcylce down in front of my house, i was watching tv and my mom bursts into my room and says son son! somebody is trying to steal your bike! someone is rattling the chains outside! Its 2:30 am and its not the first time someone has stolen something off my driveway so i grabbed my glock 19 ran outside and chambered a round. My gun was loaded and ready to go There was nobody out there after checking i wrote down a cars license plate i dont usually see in my complex and went back inside i am really shooken up and it all happend so fast my adrenaline was pumping and i wasn't even thinking i don't ever want to shoot anybody unless they are a real threat and they are going to hurt me or my family. did i overreact by chambering a round? Or should i identify the threat and then chamber a round? Where can i go to get proper training? i don't think i would have shot even if there was somebody. but now im questioning myself because of how intense my adrenaline was pumping and how fast i responded i want to be assured i wouldn't shoot unless it was a real danger or threat what kind of drills should i do? Did i respond correctly? What would you have done?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-29-2013, 12:04 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5775 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 10919

I would have done the same.

No offense and none taken

Old 06-29-2013, 12:16 PM   #3

Liked 589 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 1168

I keep a round chambered at all times, and that situation would merit the same reaction for me.

As far as training is concerned, I'm not sure what your skill set is. If you arnt comfortable enough to run drills on your own at the time try to find a shooting school in your area. If you know of any concealed carry instructors in your area, call them. Many CC instructors will do personal classes.

No matter what classes you take or training you have, it is your duty to practice and hone your skills. Maybe start with pickup drills, or multiple target drills.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:37 PM   #4

Liked 1629 Times on 921 Posts
Likes Given: 1086

I don't know that I would have gone outside to confront a theif. My weapon is to protect life. I love my bike. But I would not shoot someone over it. Keep in mind...even a clean shoot will change your life. If I shoot someone I want it to because there was no other alternative. I have insurance to cover the bike. I would not want to have to spend the rest of my life thinking about how I killed someone over a motorcycle.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

People Like This 
Old 06-29-2013, 12:37 PM   #5

Liked 1629 Times on 921 Posts
Likes Given: 1086

By the way, I always have a round in the chamber.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:38 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 756 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

I keep a round chambered all the time. There were times too when I ran outside onto my driveway with firearm in hand and dogs barking thinking someone was by my door at 3 a.m.

If there had been then his next move would have determined his fate (and mine). But I am sure that if I had leverage and control I would not have use firearm. But it would have been the last time he'd ever trespass.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:06 PM   #7

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I'm like you, chamber empty. If there was someone and they were watching you and saw you come out with a gun, they would have to be a fool to come back. I think you handled it well and I wouldn't shoot someone just for stealing. If they are in your home you don't know their intention, somewhat different.

USAF 77-99
MAC trained killer

Old 06-29-2013, 01:14 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1763 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

I would have called the cops unless your state law specifically allows you to use deadly force to protect property outside of your home.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:27 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3720 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402
I would have called the cops unless your state law specifically allows you to use deadly force to protect property outside of your home.
This is a good point.

I would add that a lot of times just the sight of a firearm is a huge deterrent, especially to people whose only intent is to steal something. If they have more nefarious things on their mind, maybe the sight of a firearm would enrage them or push them over the line and actually do what it was they set out to do. However, it is impossible to know his intent beforehand.

I think I am with rick1967 on this one. I have motorcycle insurance for a reason. If he enters my home, though, that's a different story. Now we're in the realm where he could do harm to my family. Or myself.

Always have clean socks.

Mason609 Likes This 
Old 06-29-2013, 02:27 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1563 Times on 932 Posts
Likes Given: 778

Some of the points I make in my classes are:
1. You have every right to intervene if someone is victimizing you to stop the act and/or apprehend the criminal, even if it is a property crime.
2. BUT you can use only reasonable force to stop the act or apprehend the criminal. This would be short of deadly force.
3. BUT you need to be armed because you do not know how the criminal will react. If he retreats you will not need to use force. If he attacks you you will need to defend yourself with whatever force is REQUIRED, up to and including deadly force.
What you did was not wrong, if you did it for the right reasons. If your intent was to shoot the bandit for committing the crime you were wrong. If you were armed as a precaution, to defend yourself if attacked, you were right.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

People Like This