Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Defensive strategy while offensive (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/defensive-strategy-while-offensive-39292/)

TNEFF 03-04-2011 07:02 AM

Defensive strategy while offensive

Hope this is the right spot for this, looking for some input from those with higher training or thinking.

Our store is laid out with doors at 9 and 12 o'clock for public entry, my desk is at 6 and the other is at 4 o'clock with a door behind each of either leading outside or to a storage room. Basicly, we are facing head on to whomever enters the shop.
When I practice shooting, I place a target in these perspective areas as well as to the left and right of the door to simulate hiding spots a no gooder could kneel and peel through the doors (glass). Generally I sweep left to right, with 3 or 4 shot engagements to each target. Maintaining what I feel/think is control of my visual range, without giving ground or careless advancement as needed depending on what we are faced with.
The chance of someone catching us off guard is very minimal with our layout, and procedures. I am not gungho or Ramboic, but also wanna be as prepared as can be if the situation ever shows. We don't have a good tactical range to go to currently, so trying to sharpen the edge is up to us.

Any suggestions ?? We have cameras etc, where do you draw the line in preparedness without signing up for Rambo 47 Attack of the Geriatrics :)

Car54 03-04-2011 11:53 AM

I would reduce your target shots to two shots each, reason being on a multiple gunman situation firing 4 shots at one would give time for the other(s) to line up on you.

Your interior layout sounds pretty good so the only thing I can think of is to watch who comes in to buy/browse. Most often the person(s) intent on doing bad will show some form of nervousness, they'll look around to see who's watching them or where other people are, they might fidget with their clothing maybe adjusting a slipping gun in their pants or getting it ready to show. Unfortunately the rules are the bad guy gets the first draw so be ready for it.

IGETEVEN 03-05-2011 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Car54 (Post 457383)
I would reduce your target shots to two shots each, reason being on a multiple gunman situation firing 4 shots at one would give time for the other(s) to line up on you.

Your interior layout sounds pretty good so the only thing I can think of is to watch who comes in to buy/browse. Most often the person(s) intent on doing bad will show some form of nervousness, they'll look around to see who's watching them or where other people are, they might fidget with their clothing maybe adjusting a slipping gun in their pants or getting it ready to show. Unfortunately the rules are the bad guy gets the first draw so be ready for it.

Indeed, I concur with the above.

In addition, I would mount security mirrors above all dead areas and corridors for your continued visual on all persons while anywhere in the store, as well as the cameras. The mirrors need to placed so they are still visible from a crouching position, while utilizing your handguns, when you drop down behind them counters for cover and utilize that strategically placed and loaded, shotty or two, hidden, but accessible, behind the counter, preferably at both ends, along with a remote electric, entrance/exit door lock.

Practice several different scenarios and modes of attack and defense, and do it regularly, so when the time ever comes, there is no hesitation.

pandamonium 03-06-2011 04:35 AM

Your layout sounds effective, car54 and Igeteven offered top-notch advice,the first thing that I thought of is, in a confrontation, and you are firing towards the door(s), what's behind the doors? Street front? Are there large glass storefront windows? Be aware of where bullets may go if you miss your target! Would hate to see sidewalk pedestrians caught in the line of fire.

Unless of course, the Westboro ****e-bags happen to be out on the sidewalk!!

TNEFF 03-06-2011 05:58 AM

Thanks for the input, minimal glass on either side. The doors are glass, windows are 4' from the floor with wood and sheetrock walls. We are set back off of a busy street, which does play into the scenario. The building is not very big, approx 50' x 50'. Containment area is small, which makes us do our part in paying attention. Cross fire is not an issue, but surrounding incidental casualties are. Biggest issues would be a rush in robbery, or multiple no gooders from each entry point. Obvious best play, is give them what they want and get them out of the building. Worse case, well you never know and pray it never comes about.