Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Defensive Posture: Flashlights

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2009, 01:46 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Defensive Posture: Flashlights

If you don't have the money to purchase a nice flashlight / laser attachment for your sidearm, this thread may be just up your alley.

These pictures are examples of different stances you can take with your flashlight. There are positives, and negatives with each stance, and each stance can be adapted / manipulated to meet your specific needs.

Picture 1 is my preferred stance when using a flashlight. My reasoning for this is it closely resembles the stance I already use whenever I am engaging one-handed.

Picture 2 is the first variation of holding a flashlight. I call this the "hollywood" stance since it is seen in many action movies and television series out there. some people like this, and prefer it over others. I do not like it because it feels unnatural to me, and there is no benefit to having the flashlight wrapped under my strong wrist (i.e. recoil reduction, easier sight alignment, etc...). Everybody is different, and some people swear by this stance. If you find it works for you, then use it.

Picture 3 is different from the first only by the fact that the flashlight is extended out 100%. Some people prefer this to having the flashlight close in.

Picture 4 is a variation based on the assumption that the assailiant will fire at the light, and by holding the flashlight in this manner you will be changing the assailiants point of aim away from your vital areas. This is a good theory, but in all honesty, I view this as an akward way to close a flashlight in close quarters. I would not dismiss this tactic, as I see where this could be used successfully is space allows.

Practice all of the techniques and see what works for you. I also invite you to get out there and find the local tactical instructors closest to your community, and attend some training classes. Open your mind to as many different techinques as you can, then adapt and choose which ones work the best for you.

Stay safe, secure, and informed.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-01-2009, 05:05 AM   #2
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 697 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 729

Excellent write-up. Thanks for taking the time. I've always preferred your "Hollywood" stance. I did a grouping test one day with stances 1 and 2. Found I grouped better with stance 2.

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:08 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Saw that exact same thing on the outdoor channel. 'American Guardian'. Good stuff!!

Old 05-02-2009, 05:46 PM   #4

I was taught perpetrators will shoot at your flashlight. For this reason NEVER hold it in front of you.

Semper Fi

Gun Control...sight alignment, sight picture, squeeze...

Old 05-02-2009, 06:35 PM   #5

I'm going to continue to take some training classes, but it is always great to get some "free pointers". Personally, I really appreciate you taking time to show the different options.

Now, to purchase a proper light.

Old 05-02-2009, 10:19 PM   #6

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I'll give your #1 stance a try. I've practiced the # 2 but have trouble seeing the pistol sights.
Thanks for the info.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:42 AM   #7
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Good info Sgt

Old 05-03-2009, 04:07 PM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

The "hollywood" stance is the only one I was taught. Note: when performing this stance, make sure your weak hand (flashlight), is under your strong hand (firearm). There was a guy on the line who did this opposite. Sucked to be him.

Old 05-30-2009, 03:32 AM   #9

if you don't have a tactical light, all the other urban warriors will laugh at you and make fun of you. You will be branded as an incompetent by the tactical establishment. Black-clad ninja will leap from the shadows at the first opportunity and you will be powerless in the murky darkness. Your family and friends will be forced to live with the shame of your poorly lighted demise.