Defensive Hand Weapon: Cold Steel African Walking Stick
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Defensive Hand Weapon: Cold Steel African Walking Stick

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2010, 03:03 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Defensive Hand Weapon: Cold Steel African Walking Stick

I have been looking for a good defensive hand weapon. I have ultimately decided on a blunt weapon for its lack of maintenance required and its ease of use. I'd never have to worry about a blade dulling or chipping or rusting, and I'd never have to worry about the angle of cut, or cutting myself in use. I don't planning on becoming a hand-to-hand combat master or anything, and probably won't do more than basic stuff to just work on my aim and wrist strength (like hitting thrown balls from different angles, both with swings and thrusts, and other simple things). So, that said, this is most likely what I'd get:
African Walking Stick : Cold Steel

All the reviews are great (including youtube ones). As most know, their polypropylene material is extreme rugged. I like that it has a super long reach compared to my current selection of hand weapons (the longest of which is a simple 20" steel tube with one end wrapped in rope for grip and padding; the shortest of which is a ~14" hatchet). This would give me a large advantage against an aggressive animal or perhaps someone with a knife (if, for whatever reason, my pistol was unavailable). It is light weight, but with much of its weight concentrated in one spot on the end of a long shaft, still seems very effective.

This would likely be something I sheath across my back under a pack, or perhaps on my belt, when in the outdoors (or during the zombie apocalypse).

It is available for probably $30 shipped from various vendors. Do you guys think it would be a worthwhile defensive tool to keep around / on me?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-07-2010, 03:23 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I think it's pretty neat and might not mind having one. But it's 37" long, how will you sheathe it on a belt?

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-07-2010, 03:50 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Heh, I suppose I mean more like carry it like a sword on my belt (hangs down toward the ground), with the ball end coming up maybe 8 or 10" above my waist. A back sheath would probably be better though. Still, however, its strait, bladeless nature would make it easy to figure out some way to carry it!

Old 01-07-2010, 04:01 PM   #4

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

How about a Expandable/Collapsible Baton? It would do the same job as that stick, they are practically indestructible, and the batons are available in 16, 21 and 26 inch sizes, and best of all, they can collapse down and they will fit on your belt, in a nice little holster.

One major benefit of a Expandable baton is that it can be used to strike an assailant from a distance. Which means you can protect yourself from more than two feet away. It takes less than a second to open a baton to its full size, all it takes is a quick flick of the wrist. The segments of the baton lock together, and the tip is a solid steel ball that gives the weapon incredible striking power. The handles of the batons are made of a special molded foam, which gives you a very solid grip so you won't drop it, nor will the person on the other end be able to take it away from you.

They can be found in the same price range you are looking for on-line and there are plenty of on-line video baton defensive tactics, that are easy too pick up and learn.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 01-07-2010, 04:53 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks. I always thought those batons were designed to be less-lethal (at least, not without a lot of effort), and more designed to temporarily disable limbs and such for easier take-downs. I also still doubt they are as durable as the AWS, due to its solid, fixed nature and its material:

Other than my pistol, though, it's been really hard to find a defending hand weapon that is both effective and easy to carry. The batons are great in their compactness, but they don't seem to be as effective as I want.

*edit*

Though, I am beginning to wonder if any hand weapons light enough to readily carry and weild without lots of training will be truely effective as a lethal bludgeon. Watching some of Cold Steel's videos, it seems like it takes a lot more concentrated force to get through a skull or break a bone than we think.

Last edited by Lindenwood; 01-07-2010 at 05:36 PM.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:05 PM   #6

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

And the baton is not legal everywhere ,like here in Califvckinfornia

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 01-13-2010, 10:39 PM   #7

That walking stick is heavy duty and cool.

I hurt my hip once and used a cane temporarily while it healed. It was one of those stylish collapsible walking sticks and while I had it, I had all kinds of weapons ideas with it. Walking Canes, Walking Sticks & Hiking Sticks in hundreds of styles at The Walking Cane Store. - Slim-Line Lilacs & Periwinkle Folding Cane RC-80184 . But, of course the collapsible ones are made out of aluminum and not heavy duty.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:49 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Have any of you guys seen or used the sap cap?
Seems very easy to carry......
But like IGETEVEN said there are advantages to a weapon that would reach longet than arms length.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:08 PM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Consider the Sjambok, I believe CS makes a version.

Kinda long, but light, flexible, will pop the head off of a snake, requires little skill to use, and leaves welts on a 2 legged varmint like you wouldn't believe.

Imagine a stightly rigid bullwhip.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:34 PM   #10

Something you may want to look into is find someone that makes a good hardwood walking stick/ cane and get one of those. they make an effective weapon, are sturdy, and have enough weight to them to put some force behind a strike.