Defeat a sniper quickly? - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Defeat a sniper quickly?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2014, 03:42 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
I would classify the heavy modern military sniper guns as 5th tier. These are crew served weapons, same as the old M60 machine gun.

One guy alone could not operate them alone.

Just like one guy alone could not operate a tank.

Btw, upon edit, I added "etc." to the Remington. I always need to re-read my posts a few times to get everything down.

I've seen plenty of guys operate a Barrett or any other "heavy, modern military sniper guns" by themselves. The only real crew served weapons are usually belt feds.. Also, a "sniper gun" is just a scoped rifle.. It's the person looking through the scope that makes it a "sniper gun". Other than that, it's an expensive rifle. I could have all the money in the world and own a M107 with some expensive optics but just because I have one, doesn't make me a sniper. Just like you having a high caliber Remington doesn't make you a sniper. Unless of course you've been to either the Army school or have came through our Marine program

America doesn't need a Marine Corps, they want one
Old 04-17-2014, 04:18 AM   #42

Liked 158 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShagNasty1001 View Post
I've seen plenty of guys operate a Barrett or any other "heavy, modern military sniper guns" by themselves. The only real crew served weapons are usually belt feds.. Also, a "sniper gun" is just a scoped rifle.. It's the person looking through the scope that makes it a "sniper gun". Other than that, it's an expensive rifle. I could have all the money in the world and own a M107 with some expensive optics but just because I have one, doesn't make me a sniper. Just like you having a high caliber Remington doesn't make you a sniper. Unless of course you've been to either the Army school or have came through our Marine program

Feel free to hump a Barrett all by your lonesome then. And the spotting scope. And the range finder. And the ammo. And your pistol. And the ammo for your pistol. And your pack. And your gear.

Last edited by Shoobee; 04-17-2014 at 06:32 AM.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:21 AM   #43
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 1157 Times on 795 Posts
Likes Given: 161

Posts deleted, please keep it civil, beneficial and on topic

Thanks
G30USMC

Old 04-17-2014, 05:01 PM   #44

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
Feel free to hump a Barrett all by your lonesome then. And the spotting scope. And the range finder. And the ammo. And your pistol. And the ammo for your pistol. And your pack. And your gear.

I'd rather hump a Barrett rather than a 240B black bag of death or a mortar.. Oh and here's a definition of crew served weapons.. Where it takes two or more people to operate a weapon, such as a gunner and A-gunner on a 240B, not just needing more than one grunt to carry everything. A Barrett doesn't have a high complexity to operate and you don't necessarily need a spotting scope or range finder to shoot one of them..you need someone who knows ballistics and all of that jazz and boom, sniper..

http://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/crew-served_weapon

Old 04-19-2014, 07:25 PM   #45

Liked 72 Times on 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
what if you are beyond a 1000-1200 yards from that sniper. do you have any idea as to what the ballistics are of the 308 round at those distances? do you have any understanding of ballistics in general?
The. 308 would still be effective but not a viable option. The 338 would be the better choice but that wasnt listed.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:32 PM   #46
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21273 Times on 12076 Posts
Likes Given: 53062

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1Victor View Post
The. 308 would still be effective but not a viable option. The 338 would be the better choice but that wasnt listed.
exactly. it has done the job at those distances in the past, but as you said, which i agree, there are much better choices available today than using a 308. even the 300 W.M. would be a better choice as well. and still just as portable as the rifle in 308.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:39 PM   #47
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1357 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post

Scorched Earth is a defensive method for sniper attack, but there is still the problem of detecting him. If he does his job, the first sign of him is a dead body, and probably an important one. While cooking him after the fact is somewhat satisfying, his mission is still accomplished. I think the question on thermal imaging was in conjunction with finding him before he tags and bags his target.

The problem is precision counter-sniper assets--like sniper teams and thermal-imaging or whatever--aren't always available the moment they're needed. But arty, helo or fixed-wing gunship support is often on-call for immediate or at least quick response.

If your conducting a squad-size combat patrol or other small-unit op--which most of them are--and come up against a sniper sometimes your option is blanket his suspected position with organics and call-in whatever heavier firepower is available to quiet the AO down, (obviously depending on terrain and proximity of civilian areas.) If my men are getting shot, I don't always have time to request up the chain for release of a specialized team that requires transport into my position. And even if I have a designated marksman with me, there's no guarantee that he will have the time to invest trying to pinpoint the shooter.

As far as our enemy snipers having a "mission" to engage "important" targets, very few generals are on the sharp edge and most NCOs and junior officers don't advertise their "importance." Considering that most often it's the "unimportant" guys that get hit, I'd guess that most sniper "missions" against us are meant to be disruptive, demoralizing or diversionary without a pre-planned high-value target. Just my 2c.

Stay smart, stay motivated, stay dangerous

Old 04-28-2014, 01:45 PM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1833 Times on 1308 Posts
Likes Given: 2070

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986 View Post
I wasn't sure where to put this and it might be a stupid question, but could snipers be "obsolete"(not really the right word?)? Say a sniper had to take out a well guarded and important target. Couldn't he easily be spotted and killed if someone had a thermal scope since they pick up heat? I know they have there place in the field because not everyone has thermal scopes and what not but if someone does, they could easily be spotted and taken out right?

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk
As momma would say, stupid is as stupid does. You gave away Your position and now you're dead..................Are you ganna torch the whole house because of one cockroach...............Reach out and touch someone..............

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 04-28-2014, 01:47 PM   #49
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 753 Times on 504 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7point62 View Post
The problem is precision counter-sniper assets--like sniper teams and thermal-imaging or whatever--aren't always available the moment they're needed. But arty, helo or fixed-wing gunship support is often on-call for immediate or at least quick response.

If your conducting a squad-size combat patrol or other small-unit op--which most of them are--and come up against a sniper sometimes your option is blanket his suspected position with organics and call-in whatever heavier firepower is available to quiet the AO down, (obviously depending on terrain and proximity of civilian areas.) If my men are getting shot, I don't always have time to request up the chain for release of a specialized team that requires transport into my position. And even if I have a designated marksman with me, there's no guarantee that he will have the time to invest trying to pinpoint the shooter.

As far as our enemy snipers having a "mission" to engage "important" targets, very few generals are on the sharp edge and most NCOs and junior officers don't advertise their "importance." Considering that most often it's the "unimportant" guys that get hit, I'd guess that most sniper "missions" against us are meant to be disruptive, demoralizing or diversionary without a pre-planned high-value target. Just my 2c.

Damn straight I recall an incident where our teams were in a cordon and search and came under fire from multiple snipers in a building and instead of using and thus exposing our designated marksmen we had a guy get to some concealment and nail the building with a javelin

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

this message was sent using my Barrett 50 straight to your brain.

7point62 Likes This 
Old 04-28-2014, 02:20 PM   #50
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1833 Times on 1308 Posts
Likes Given: 2070

Default Bounty.................

Need I say more................Damn, call in spooky, we have a hot one........................

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

7point62 Likes This