Dealing with flinch

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Dealing with flinch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2011, 12:11 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Dealing with flinch

Got a chance to put 100 rounds through my new Ruger P95 and was more or less pleased with the results after not having shot for 15 years. Was elated that my wife went and enjoyed it as much as I did (thank you, thank you!).

I have a consistent flinch due to the heavier than anticipated DA pull. Any suggestions on coping? Should I just continue to practice as many first pulls til I can put it on the mark every time? Any techniques to work on?

Thanks.

Oz

"It is not easy to believe in the survival of civilisation... I think one must continue the politicial struggle, just as a doctor must try to save a patient who is probably going to die." – George Orwell

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-20-2011, 01:01 AM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Don't concentrate on the trigger pull so much. You are anticipating the shot. Focus on the target and just let it happen. Practice that and you will understand.

"Tolerance is the Virtue of a man without Convictions" G. K. Chesterton

ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

Considering the fact that the victim is the first one at the scene of a violent crime, I believe all law abiding citizens should be armed.

"Fast is fine, Accurate is final." - Wyatt Earp

Old 01-20-2011, 01:02 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Intersperse live rounds with snap caps. You won't be sure when the pistol will fire and you'll be able to observe and consciously work on eliminating flinch.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-20-2011, 11:38 PM   #4

It's a semi auto. You can't intersperse snap caps with live rounds and have the gun cycle.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:58 PM   #5

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcreek View Post
It's a semi auto. You can't intersperse snap caps with live rounds and have the gun cycle.
Thats the whole point. It simulates a fail to fire and makes the flinch obvious. Its a great way to train.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 01-21-2011, 12:29 AM   #6

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Intersperse live rounds with snap caps. You won't be sure when the pistol will fire and you'll be able to observe and consciously work on eliminating flinch.
I'm late to the party, but CA beat me to it. I do this all the time with people I train to shoot.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 01-21-2011, 12:31 AM   #7

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
You have sooo much to learn little grasshopper. Knowing if the gun fire or not has nothing to do with it functioning. It's a training method on how to teach people to deal with failures, it just happens to work well with flinching.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Last edited by DarinCraft; 01-21-2011 at 06:52 AM.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:45 AM   #8

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 766

relax,breath,keep eyes on target

Old 01-21-2011, 01:49 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Thanks for sharing bearcreek. It's all good.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-21-2011, 02:38 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5986 Times on 3131 Posts
Likes Given: 427

Quote:
it loads the snap cap and the trainee doesnt know if the round is live or not, trigger is pulled instant flinch feed back. 4 or 5 magazines cures it.

most people dont understand what flinching is. recoil covers it up. the snap cap reveals it and makes it really evident what the trainee is doing wrong. progress is rapid after that.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...