Darwin Awards
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Darwin Awards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2010, 08:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Darwin Awards

I'm tired of life-long gun owners who should know better being in the Darwin Awards for doing dumb stuff with guns. Like the guy who slammed a loaded rifle on the ground to prove that safetys prevent misfires and shot himself in the head. We gotta fix peoples misunderstandings so nobody else dies. Anybody know a common misconception about guns, that needs to be better known?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-05-2010, 08:29 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Never assume the firearm is unloaded. I have a hole in my wall from where a buddy of mine assumed the gun was not loaded and pulled the trigger! I took the gun away from him and made him sit down and watch a firearms safety video.I told him that he would get his gun back in a week and I did that too!

"I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off!" - Dirty Harry

Old 03-05-2010, 08:33 PM   #3

Liked 1127 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

Default Never trust

Never trust a guy you are hunting with if you do not know he is gun safe. Even if its your brother mine almost killed me. lol

Old 03-05-2010, 08:46 PM   #4

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageJoe View Post
Anybody know a common misconception about guns, that needs to be better known?

One of Seven Common Misconceptions That Can Get You Killed: From Front Sight.

"Misconception #6: I will rise to the occasion in a gun fight and be better than I normally am on the shooting range. This misconception comes from people who, in the past, have had great success when facing clutch situations, in activities involving gross motor skills—like the fullback who can be counted on to score the touchdown when it is fourth down and goal-to-go or the underdog boxer who musters everything he has to deliver a knockout punch in the last round. They are successfully responding to the positive effects of adrenaline which makes large muscles stronger and faster. Unfortunately, in a gunfight, your body is going to dump massive amounts of adrenaline (much more than you are accustomed to in any sporting activity) into to your bloodstream from the “fight or flight” survival mechanism. This adrenaline dump will make you temporarily stronger and faster, but it adversely affects fine motor coordination such as your ability to focus on the front sight and press the trigger without disrupting the sight alignment. As a result, you will tend to be about half as good in a real gunfight as you are on your best day on the range.
We prove this to our students in the live-fire shooting house where their adrenaline flows a bit more than on the range! As a result of this phenomena, those who know, train twice as much on the range and in the live-fire simulators, and learn to aggressively move, adapt and shoot, so should they ever need to use their skills to save their life or the lives of their loved ones—in a real lethal encounter— their “half as good” will still more than enough to win! Remember, you will not rise to the occasion in a gun fight. Instead, you will default to the level of your training and then only be half as good as you are on your best day on the range… so you better get great training and train to be twice as good as you think you need to be!"

"Quoted for truth"

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 03-05-2010, 08:50 PM   #5

Liked 496 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 1624

^^^ Well stated sir

Sent by my homing pigeon that suffers from severe social anxiety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yea, um, Darin...that's in the Double Secret Bunker. :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Hookers and optics, cheap is usually a warning.

www.loryno.com

Old 03-07-2010, 12:42 AM   #6

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Good point Iget.

This isnt so much a misconception, but more of a pet peeve of mine. Whenever I see a guy at the gun store pick up a gun, 9 times out of 10 his finger will instantly make its way to the trigger. I am sure I have done it before too, but it just bugs me. Whats wrong with keeping your finger on the side of the frame till you have cleared the weapon? It could be loaded. Who knows? Lots of guys have been shot with unloaded guns.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:03 AM   #7

Since no one else covered it, most guns can not be fired under water. the only one that i know of that can without the gun blowing up and probably killing you is a glock. if you want to shoot at fish, you have to aim at them from out of the water.

Bushrat for life

Old 04-28-2010, 08:24 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

does a glock really fire underwater. That will come in handy emm never. but i would think that with the resistance from the water in the barrel it would be very very dangerous.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:41 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2742 Times on 1436 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Most handguns can be fired under water. The most important point is to point it muzzle up to let the air out of the barrel first.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 04-28-2010, 09:56 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1886 Times on 1343 Posts
Likes Given: 2128

Default Pulling the trigger under water!

I was taught not to fire any weapon when the barrel is obstructed with any foriegn object, including water. So who's going in the pool first!!!! Myth Busters might Know. Wills in da Swamp In La.