Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Cross dominance (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/cross-dominance-51131/)

CocoLeFleur 11-04-2011 12:14 AM

Cross dominance

Ok, now I'm a novice with firearms. Please keep that in mind.

I'm about to start firearms training, handling, safety, accuracy etc. I am left-handed, and I've been made aware that my right eye is the dominant one. Apparently this is a big disadvantage for me.

Now, since I haven't undergone any training yet as to how to hold a weapon etc, is this a huge issue? Would it be easier for me to learn to shoot right-handed, or is it something people usually just learn to tolerate? How bad an issue can this cross-dominance be?

I'm guessing I should be a bit more specific with what I will be shooting. It's going to be pistols and revolvers mainly. Shotguns too, but that isn't going to be an issue. There will be no rifle shooting, since I won't be hunting and will be learning mainly for protection purposes.

You guys have more experience than I do, help me out with a discussion about it! I'm sure I'm misunderstanding the issues involved.

canebrake 11-04-2011 12:17 AM

If your training is for self defense, you better learn both!

BenLuby 11-04-2011 12:27 AM

Being left handed doesn't automatically make you left handed shooting. My youngest son is left handed, shoots his rifle left handed, but pistol shoots right handed. Wife is left handed and shoots her rifles and handguns right handed.

CocoLeFleur 11-04-2011 12:38 AM

Ah thanks Ben. I've shot before and found it to be far more comfortable and natural with my left hand. Although, with professional assistance and training this may change.

BenLuby 11-04-2011 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CocoLeFleur (Post 618870)
Ah thanks Ben. I've shot before and found it to be far more comfortable and natural with my left hand. Although, with professional assistance and training this may change.

If you're more comfortable with it left handed, then adjust it to shoot left handed, even with right eye dominance. Now, when you get the sights adjusted to compensate, no one else could hit the inside of a barn with your firearm, even if locked in it, but you'll be dead on accurate.
Also, never ignore Cane. He's got his ducks in a row and the little suckers are marching in step, too.
He's right in that you should learn to shoot with both hands, and either hand, for emergencies.

Marlinman 11-04-2011 12:50 AM

I agree with canes advice. Id also learn to shoot with both eyes open

fmj 11-04-2011 01:25 AM

Its all been covered but i'll toss in my $2...

My wife is left hand, left eye but knocks the snot out of a gnats ass shooting right handed with the PF-9.

My youngest is Right hand, left eye but shoots both eyes open and does pretty dern well for a novice.