Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Craptical (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/craptical-49973/)

Soliferrum 10-17-2011 02:46 AM

Craptical
 
im not saying im a pro or that i know better, but common sense prevails. ive begun collecting a lot of firearm magazines, pretty much building up a physical database of reviews and pictures. in these mags, i see a bunch of adds or reviews for "tactical" schools. in some of these pictures i cant help to question and blatantly ask, as im siting on the toilet, "what the f*ck are they doing?".

now, ill leave out the names of these schools as i have not attended them and i dont want to give the impression my observation denotes the professionalism of these schools.

one opened up with the picture of the class charging at the camera with their war faces on and such. and of course everyone had a form of AR. It kept on about how it teaches defensive stances and preached function rather than form. which is always good, but please someone explain to me a "defensive stance." ...isnt that for fist fighting? im not quite sure but i think i have enough knowledge that in a gunfight with rifles, unless you have a substantial about of cover between you and your target, you shouldnt be standing much at all.

Other pictures showed a "unique" grip on the rifles they teach. the non firing hand is almost fully extended, small small bend in the elbow, the thumb is over the top of the rifle grip, the web of the hand being almost up against the front sight post. they said this grip helps in target acquisition. i said "meh, what the hell." doing that myself i learned almost all of my left peripheral vision was gone. im not sure how im supposed to fight with my left eye completely blocked. and before anyone says "well its closed anyway cause youre aiming." youre supposed to keep both eyes open when using an optical.

on another review for handguns, different school, they were showing actual lessons in, for lack of a better term, fist fighting with a handgun. bad guy with a knife, good guy showing block with left hand and pulling weapon with his right, as well as PULLING THE BAD GUY CLOSER to close the distance and putting the barrel against him......if i know i have a gun and a guy pulls out anything, im going to push him or get as far away from him as humanly possible cause i know im just going to unload on him when i get the quickest chance, and heres this tool wanting the complete opposite. im not sure if anyone told him in arms distance a knife is ungodly more deadly than a gun.

im just wondering, does anyone have any stories of their own of going to a school and found out youre learning techniques from a Steven Segal? anything overly wrong that it just jumps out at you? im going to start looking for places to go around the northeast texas area and my biggest fear is paying for a class i will leave in a few hours cause im being taught useless lessons by a pompous know it all, who dosent.

IGETEVEN 10-17-2011 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soliferrum (Post 603187)
...on another review for handguns, different school, they were showing actual lessons in, for lack of a better term, fist fighting with a handgun. bad guy with a knife, good guy showing block with left hand and pulling weapon with his right, as well as PULLING THE BAD GUY CLOSER to close the distance and putting the barrel against him......if i know i have a gun and a guy pulls out anything, im going to push him or get as far away from him as humanly possible cause i know im just going to unload on him when i get the quickest chance, and heres this tool wanting the complete opposite. im not sure if anyone told him in arms distance a knife is ungodly more deadly than a gun.

Not if your engaging them, controlling the weapon hand/arm and driving them backwards and/or bringing them down.

CQC training as well as most MA disciplines...move aggressively forward and engage your enemy. You do not want to be within an arm's length distance of a knife or any weapon for that matter. :cool:

Soliferrum 10-17-2011 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IGETEVEN (Post 603431)
Not if your engaging them, controlling the weapon hand/arm and driving them backwards and/or bringing them down.

CQC training as well as most MA disciplines...move aggressively forward and engage your enemy. You do not want to be within an arm's length distance of a knife or any weapon for that matter. :cool:

...so why would you move closer? or try to engage at all. you have a gun, they have a sharp pointy thing. you come around a corner and a guy rushes you, with a knife, that last thing you should really do is "lets go bit*h" and tackle him.

if i was the assailant, you coming closer to me is doing me a favor, by the time you pulled out your weapon, i would have least made one connection into one of your lungs. if a man has a bat, prepare for a fight, if he has a knife, run like hell. or, in this case create distance and unload.

Soliferrum 10-17-2011 02:48 PM

then again, brandishing a knife is just for show anyway, thats why an actual killer would let you play billy bad ass with him then wip it out without you seeing it and jam it up from the bottom of your ribcage. follow all the MMA and hand to hand disciplines you want, youre going to end up shot or stabbed.

IGETEVEN 10-17-2011 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soliferrum (Post 603441)
then again, brandishing a knife is just for show anyway, thats why an actual killer would let you play billy bad ass with him then wip it out without you seeing it and jam it up from the bottom of your ribcage. follow all the MMA and hand to hand disciplines you want, youre going to end up shot or stabbed.

Been in my share and done and seen a lot, and I'm still here....jarhead! ;)

Soliferrum 10-17-2011 03:12 PM

so i can take it you have faced off with a man with a knife and have killed him then. i hope you got the drop on him, cause if it was the other way you were supremely lucky.

IGETEVEN 10-17-2011 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soliferrum (Post 603457)
so i can take it you have faced off with a man with a knife and have killed him then. i hope you got the drop on him, cause if it was the other way you were supremely lucky.

Both, too many times to count. And as I said before...I'm still here. :cool:

Soliferrum 10-17-2011 03:27 PM

ok, but for the supreme bad asses that didnt go to war and kill a lot of people, at least i hope youre talking about war, its retarded for an average joe to learn and to do in a back alley, IMHO.

IGETEVEN 10-17-2011 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soliferrum (Post 603468)
ok, but for the supreme bad asses that didnt go to war and kill a lot of people, at least i hope youre talking about war, its retarded for an average joe to learn and to do in a back alley, IMHO.

You assumed I am an "average Jack" ;)

Works in the back alleys as well. Different situations, different tactics and training. One never forgets training and instincts.
YMMV :cool:

Soliferrum 10-17-2011 03:46 PM

too bad were all not green berets. never mind my post. everyones a bad ass congratulations. im going to go pick a fight and disarm my attacker using a series of head butts.


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:45 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.