That Could Never Happen To Me...Could It? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > That Could Never Happen To Me...Could It?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2014, 01:51 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Question for the jury...

If you drop a rifle from a tree stand and it goes off (about a 12-15' drop) is that a negligent discharge or an accidental discharge? Obviously it's negligent firearms handling...
I never have a loaded chamber while in a tree stand. It only takes a second to cam the bolt and load. I'm afraid I could accidently drop my rifle on the ground muzzle up.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:25 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1577 Times on 1075 Posts
Likes Given: 543

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Question for the jury...

If you drop a rifle from a tree stand and it goes off (about a 12-15' drop) is that a negligent discharge or an accidental discharge? Obviously it's negligent firearms handling...
Anyone who attempts to answer this question is just splitting hairs. If you get right down to it there is no such thing as an accidental discharge. For a gun to go off by accident, there has to be a negligent act.

I put a rope on my tree stands to pull my gun up with, even a 6' ladder stand. Once I get situated I pull my gun up and load it. That doesn't mean that I am totally safe. Accidents happen, that is why they are called accidents. We are not in total control of our lives. All we can do is make the best of it.

People say they have never dropped a gun and all that stupidity. That just tells me they haven't used a gun very much.

The lord lets accidents happen to keep us all on our toes.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 01-21-2014, 04:01 PM   #23

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarg1c View Post
I never have a loaded chamber while in a tree stand. It only takes a second to cam the bolt and load. I'm afraid I could accidently drop my rifle on the ground muzzle up.
That's exactly what happened. Left a nice little .30 caliber hole in the seat just a couple inches away from my right ass cheek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Anyone who attempts to answer this question is just splitting hairs. If you get right down to it there is no such thing as an accidental discharge. For a gun to go off by accident, there has to be a negligent act.

I put a rope on my tree stands to pull my gun up with, even a 6' ladder stand. Once I get situated I pull my gun up and load it. That doesn't mean that I am totally safe. Accidents happen, that is why they are called accidents. We are not in total control of our lives. All we can do is make the best of it.

People say they have never dropped a gun and all that stupidity. That just tells me they haven't used a gun very much.

The lord lets accidents happen to keep us all on our toes.
Right. I won't deny my handling was negligent. I let my hands get too cold and then got excited.

I was more curious as to which way people would split those hairs.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:22 PM   #24

Liked 242 Times on 170 Posts
Likes Given: 12

What happened to the OP was very common : After a dry fire session, someone reloads, forgets, and tries one more dry snap .

The best ways to prevent some of the problems cited in this thread are :
1) When you unload a revolver, look in the chambers and count them, count the rounds in your hand, and set the gun down with the cylinder open .

2) Consider all guns loaded per Rule #1 . Dry fire only at a backstop you'd be willing to damage . Check any gun that has left your hands even for a second .
Ideally, have a cleaning and dry fire room that has no live ammo permitted in it .

3) Never hand anyone a loaded gun. Check any gun someone hands you .

4) Kimber discourages lowering the hammer slowly because the company claims it can result in a worse trigger pull . Therefore, do not lower to half-cock .

We all have our lapses and I don't mean to judge anyone here . Any nasty comments to the OP will probably fall on 'deaf ears' anyway .

Last edited by Rentacop; 01-25-2014 at 07:25 PM.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:50 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 411 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Reminds me of posts after ND/S that on some occasions have killed people. Some posting comments like Darwinism, gene pool etc some in particularly poor taste when a father had a ND/ killing his son. Its the ones that think they know it all, and it would never happen to them that you have to worry about. Maybe some should think before they post criticizing others.

Last edited by manta; 01-25-2014 at 08:03 PM.

Old 01-25-2014, 09:15 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
Reminds me of posts after ND/S that on some occasions have killed people. Some posting comments like Darwinism, gene pool etc some in particularly poor taste when a father had a ND/ killing his son. Its the ones that think they know it all, and it would never happen to them that you have to worry about. Maybe some should think before they post criticizing others.
I have never had an ND that involved a firearm. I have thwarted the plans of a couple suicidal holsters, but I had followed the simple safety step of never trying out a new holster with a loaded firearm. Can an ND happen to me? You bet your azz it can, and the day I forget to pull my head out of mine will be the day it happens.

I really have to hand it to the OP. There are not many people that would have posted his experience. We all need to remember that all it takes is one little lapse and any one of us could be posting our own story... if we survive.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:15 AM   #27

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I am glad that no one was injured....it is always a hard lesson, either way.
I belong to the club too....mine was my Glock 19 taken out of the safe, and set on the reloading bench...elbow hit the gun while turning around...gun hit the floor....bang...yes I know...Glocks are supposed to have a WORKING drop safety...mine WASNT. Fortunately, it went off facing a wall AWAY from me...went thru a file cabinet and hit the drywall.
Took it to the smith, and it was repaired. I no longer keep any guns in the safe in a LOADED condition.

Old 01-26-2014, 02:34 AM   #28
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasquanel View Post
Familiarity breeds complacency add the distraction of tv and well you know the rest.
BINGO. We're all going to be or have been guilty of this. That's why we have Safety Officers.

Glad you're OK Balota. Your lessons learned are spot on and a good reminder to all of us. Thanks for posting your story.

I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.
- Bill Watterson, "Calvin", It's a Magical World

Old 01-26-2014, 12:12 PM   #29
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1357 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 1011

You can play with semantics of AD/ND all day but bottom line is it's a f**k-up. I've never had one. That doesn't mean I never will. It probably means statistically that I'm due.

I'd agree that complacency is the worst enemy for experienced shooters. We need to take that extra second to just pause and remind ourselves of the basics.

Stay smart, stay motivated, stay dangerous
winds-of-change Likes This 
Old 01-26-2014, 12:25 PM   #30

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

After reading these post, I remember a couple of years ago at a flee market in Morehead, Ky. a man I know well was showing another an automatic pistol to sell. The gentleman dropped the Magazine and pulled the trigger, killing a woman in the next checkout line. My observations were:

1.) The weapon should not have been loaded if intent to sell.

2.) who ever dropped the magazine evently didn't know that one round would stay in chamber.( or knew but didn't think.)

3). The trigger should never had been pulled in a crowded area.

Was this an AD or ND., what are your take on this. This is realy a true story and weapons cannot be sold there anymore. The weapon should have been pointed in a safe direction at all time.

Last edited by sarg1c; 01-26-2014 at 12:28 PM.