Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Conditioning and moving targets and combat training! Oh, my!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2009, 03:43 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Conditioning and moving targets and combat training! Oh, my!

I just finished reading Jeff Cooper's Principles of Personal Self Defense for the second time and I have so many questions and ideas that I don't know what to do with myself. One thing that immediately popped into my mind was: Where do I go to practice shooting at moving targets at various ranges?

Thoughts after reading the book:

A few of the principles I could directly say that I practice; Alertness, Aggressiveness, and Speed. For the rest, I definitely need to condition myself to decisively take action and at the same time keeping my cool.

Alertness. I constantly find myself observing and trying to sneak up on my cats. It's way harder than you think. I have indeed gotten better at it, and I keep them on their toes, even though they are in fact quite used to my presence by now. I never enter or exit a door without first glancing what is on the other side. When I am in a crowded and possibly dangerous situation where I might not know the people I am around I try to find a spot close to an exit where I can observe what others are doing.

One question I had in relation to Alertness was the note about swinging wide around corners. Why do this? I suppose one has to rely more on speed in the event a potential assailant hides behind a corner and you cut it close, but isn't an aggressive approach preferred over becoming a target for a longer period of time?

Aggressiveness. I guess it must be my Swedish genes, and possibly my years doing Kung-Fu, since I seem to have no problem to muster the aggressiveness necessary to handle a situation appropriately. This is of course balanced by Coolness, one of the principles that I need to adhere more firmly to.

Speed. Definitely no issues there. I can move fast, both with my hands and when shooting either a bow or a gun. I suppose some of it comes naturally to me, while other parts I have conditioned myself into. The bow, for instance, I began shooting instinctively straight off of the bat and can hit 10s and 8s on a longbow target at 30-40 yards with decent accuracy firing as fast as I can draw the arrows from my quiver. Of course, this was a few years ago, I still have to find an outdoor archery range in my immediate area to keep myself in shape with the bow and arrow.

Now for my array of questions:

• Does anybody know of a range around the Charlotte, NC area that have moving targets?
  • What type of classes should I look for when wanting to learn more about combat shooting? Note: I am neither law enforcement nor military.
  • Are there any combat/martial arts forms involving firearms and melee weapons that are readily available to civilians?
  • What type of classes should I combine to become better at shooting as well as grappling along with similar techniques that might prove useful in a close-quarters combat situation?
Thankful for any help and advice you guys can offer!

Things to think about before you Open Carry
Read this before you decide to carry!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Tags
conditioning, firearms, martial arts, melee, training