Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   conceal carry class (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/conceal-carry-class-22241/)

yankeesfan 01-16-2010 03:00 PM

conceal carry class

i would like to know if there are any websites or information out their that i can study before i take the ccw class just to be a little ahead of the game? i live in ohio if that makes a difference.

canebrake 01-16-2010 03:09 PM

Cash up for the http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...supporting.gif fee, go to the Knowledge Base and read.

They tell me my post on "Read this before you decide to carry" is worth the entrance fee.

docpadds 01-17-2010 08:35 PM

Its really not needed to study first for a good course. The one i volunteer at is designed to allow folks who have zero or lots of knowledge. Everyone gets the ground up approach and doesn't need to be an avid shooter.

Once you have your license then work from there, you can explore further training, more information etc... right now you stand a good chance of picking up bad habits and silly stuff until you fulfil your base knowledge.

Lindenwood 01-21-2010 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by docpadds (Post 214346)
Once you have your license then work from there, you can explore further training, more information etc... right now you stand a good chance of picking up bad habits and silly stuff until you fulfil your base knowledge.

Very true. For the most part, you will mostly be learning gun safety and and laws, with a little about gun handling. And, as stated, they start from the ground so you don't need to study up.

I will tell you to make sure you clear a gun if he hands it to you with the slide or cylinder closed. My instructor made an example out of me with that one, hehe. After my shoot, he took the gun from me, checked it, and gave it back with the slide closed. I didn't check it and he made sure (lightheartedly, of course) that everyone knew it, haha.

_Adam_ 01-22-2010 02:42 AM

I took the class here in ohio, they make sure everyone understands everything before you take your test. My instructor said they had never failed anyone. Be prepared for a long day though, the state requires 12 hours for the class.

docpadds 01-22-2010 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Adam_ (Post 216633)
Be prepared for a long day though, the state requires 12 hours for the class.

We break ours up over 4 days, 3 hours a night (7-10) to fit into work schedules and not ruin weekends (we ruin weekends for instructor training instead :) )

yankeesfan 01-23-2010 10:24 PM

i took the conceal carry class this past week and it was great. i am a novice and learned a ton. i was very lucky to find an instructor that worked around my schedule, we did it over a three day period.

Rentacop 02-09-2010 07:53 PM

Here is a revised list of the best pistol instruction on YouTube :

Pistol Instruction On YouTube

Todd Jarrett :

Todd Jarrett Pistol Shooting

Todd Jarrett Reloads

Todd Jarrett Prone

James Yeager :

James Yeager Malfunction Clearing

Cleaning Guns

James Yeager Glock Lube #2

Glock Lube #1

XS Sights Demo #2

XS Sights #1

Trigger Reset Demo

Sgt Miller
YouTube - millerusaf's Channel Trigger Reset.

Proper Grip

Gabe Suarez :

Close Range Gun-fighting .

Kelly McCann :

Skip first 1:15 Min. intro crap.

Skip First 41 seconds intro crap.

Michigan Militia Training :

Glock Trigger Job

Techniques demonstrated

Jack Weaver :

Personalshootingcoach.com :
Stance

Hickok :
Stance
Grip
Trigger Control

Jeff Cooper :
Trigger Control

Deadeye Steve :
Shooting Fundamentals

Glocktor
Sight Picture Animation

Sgt. Miller
YouTube - millerusaf's Channel Sight Picture.

Front Sight :
Includes How To
Draw a Pistol .

Sportsman’s Whse :
Eliminating flinch. ( rifle film but useful ).

General Instruction.

Dave Anderson
Lubing 1911 .45s.

Debra Medina on Gun Rights and carry.

Lance Thomas
News story on real gunfighter.

Rentacop 02-09-2010 07:54 PM

Duplicate post removed.

oneanddone 03-07-2010 02:08 PM

Thanks for the youtube videos..........