Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Colorado Concealed Weapons Certification for Trainers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2012, 10:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Colorado Concealed Weapons Certification for Trainers

I am looking for someone that can give me correct information, on how to obtain my Trainers Certification for Concealed Carry. I am a 21 yr. career long federal Law Enforcement officer, with 19yrs. experience as a Certified Firearms Instructor. I would like to start teaching concealed weapons classes, But have received different information on how to obtian my Concealed Weapons Trainer Certification. Any information will be a great help.

Being in Federal Law Enforcement for over 20 yrs. I have never had to obtain a Concealed Carry Permit, so some of this is obviously new to me.

Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-04-2012, 10:58 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Welcome to FTF. I don't know about your local laws but the NRA offers all sorts of training for different levels of instruction.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:03 PM   #3

Liked 1121 Times on 724 Posts
Likes Given: 276

Your state laws will be different from mine, but in Florida I was "qualified" to teach CCW classes by attending a two day NRA training program.

Check with who ever issues your CCW licenses. (In Fl., it is the Dept of Agriculture....go figure)

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 09-04-2012, 11:07 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 669 Times on 343 Posts

I am new to this forum and firearms in general. That said, after doing some research I plan to get my training at Paradise Firearms in Colorado Springs. If you punch in their name and add a dot com to it they will pop up. I'm sure they can at least point you in the right direction.

Edit : hopefully it's OK to reference a local company so long as I'm not trying to sell stuff for them.

Last edited by TankTop; 09-04-2012 at 11:16 PM.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:34 AM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Zmantex,
Don't know what part of Colorado you are in but if your anywhere near Denver or Colorado Springs look up Colorado Handgun Safety.(coloradohandgunsafety.com) They do a lot of classes and can get you certified as an NRA Basic Pistol Instructor and many other NRA Instructor levels you may want. There are other Instructor level trainers that you may find listed on the NRA website but I got my Instructor cert from CO Handgun Safety a couple years ago so I am familiar with them and would recomend them.
Now just a bit of personal opnion, the NRA Basic Pistol course is just that, basic, very basic. I personally won't put my name on a certificate until I believe that the student has not just the basics, but a good deal more. They must demonstrate to me that they can handle a firearm safely, and understand the seriousness of what they are doing when they began to carry a concealed weapon. I'm sure as a Federal Officer you have the ability to instill that in them. The reason I say this is that there are people pumping out CCW students like cupcakes. They will snag them off the floor at a gun show, sit them in a classroom for three hours and turn them loose with a certificate. Yes its legal and it meets the State requirements, but my expectation is that when a CCW holder does something stupid and becomes the next high profile case, it wont be my name on their certificate.
Anyway, good Luck

Old 09-14-2012, 02:01 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The Sheriff's department will recognize your LEO instructor's credentials. This is from Jefco County's website ( http://jeffco.us/sheriff/sheriff_T62_R126.htm ) but is mirrored in every county I've checked with.

From their website:
A shooting range or handgun training facility that has a “certified instructor.” A “certified instructor” is an instructor for a firearms safety course who is certified as a firearms instructor by a county, municipal, state, or federal law enforcement agency; the Colorado POST board; a federal military agency; or a national nonprofit organization that certifies firearms instructors, operates national firearms competitions, and provides training, including courses in personal protection, in small arms safety, use, and marksmanship. A certified NRA instructor is acceptable.

The “handgun training class” means: a law enforcement training firearms safety course; a firearms safety course offered by a law enforcement agency, an institution of higher education, or a public or private institution or organization or firearms training school, that is open to the general public and is taught by a certified instructor; or a firearms safety course or class that is offered and taught by a certified instructor.

MuzzleFront.com

Enjoy the quiet times, but always reload
MuzzleFront.com

Old 09-23-2012, 07:27 PM   #7

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'll echo what MuzzleFront said, your current qualifications should be more than adequate.

And to locnload, I agree that the three hour lecture only classes scare the crap out of me. Anyone turning out CCW applicants with that as their only training is negligent. There is a massive disparity in what passes for a CCW class here. I'll stop there, I don't want to soapbox in this thread.