Cleaning Question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Cleaning Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2010, 06:03 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Cleaning Question

I use Hoppes #9 to clean my guns--good product, good price IMHO. My question is--how long is too long to soak gun parts in this stuff? I've never let em soak more than a few hours. Is overnight okay? My 22s get REALLY filthy after a long day of shooting. Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-24-2010, 10:38 AM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

I've been using Hoppes #9 for over 20 years.. And have never had to soak parts overnight. Never.. Clean with #9 till the cloth is clean on every wipe.

Then lube.. That easy.

Gunpowder Addict For 40 Years Now

Old 02-24-2010, 12:31 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I've never had to soak parts, even after shooting all day. I've found that if you run a wet patch, then a brush(I use nylon), and go back and forth, my guns always clean up rather quickly. Sometimes I wet the barrel and let it sit for 5 minutes or so while I work on the smaller parts but that's it. The only time this doesn't work is if I wait more then 24 hours to clean them, which I no longer do.
I don't think you'll hurt any of your gun parts by soaking them for a while. I know hoppes won't hurt polymer frames but I wouldn't feel right soaking them in it.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 02-24-2010, 05:30 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Unless the solution is a caustic or an acid, you do not have to worry about soaking your metal gun parts. When I am working a new project on an old milsurp, I let the barrels and parts soak for days sometimes before getting back to them.

Please note that I mentioned METAL gun parts. I would not let plastic or poly parts set for very long simply because I do not know what affect the solution might have on those parts (if any).

Last edited by TheOldMan; 02-24-2010 at 05:32 PM.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:13 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2947 Times on 1534 Posts
Likes Given: 262

I do annual inspection/cleaning of duty guns. They get detail stripped and dropped in a bucket of solvent to soak. The really nasty ones get left overnight. It just makes cleaning easier to soak them well.

This is not "routine cleaning". This is the detail cleaning and inspection that we mandate on an annual basis. I do not clean the "routine" areas (like barrels). The gun must be "clean" when brought in for this detail cleaning.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 02-24-2010, 07:30 PM   #6

Liked 58 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've been using Hoppes No9 for decades, love the aroma.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:34 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I used to have a neighbor that was a retired LEO. Dave brought his deer rifle by the house and ask me if I could get it clean for him. I looked down the bore and it was freak'n green. Evidently Dave wasn't into cleaning his firearms and that was not what I expected from a law enforcement officer.

I used USP Bore Paste, soaked it overnight with Hoppe and Shooters Choice and finally after a week of cleaning I almost had it satisfactory for my standards.

Remember when using chemicals, read the label very carefully.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:52 PM   #8

Liked 357 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin67 View Post
I use Hoppes #9 to clean my guns--good product, good price IMHO. My question is--how long is too long to soak gun parts in this stuff? I've never let em soak more than a few hours. Is overnight okay? My 22s get REALLY filthy after a long day of shooting. Thanks.
Just don't soak any nickel plated guns in it.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:52 AM   #9

Liked 247 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 12

franklin67 :
The video, " Making Glocks Rock " from AGI discourages the use of Hoppes #9 on Glock Frame rails, which are plated.

Old 02-25-2010, 03:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentacop View Post
franklin67 :
The video, " Making Glocks Rock " from AGI discourages the use of Hoppes #9 on Glock Frame rails, which are plated.
No problem there, as I dont own a Glock-but I'll keep that in mind in case I ever do....

Thanks for all the feedback guys (and girls). I was talking about the metal parts of course. I feel funny about soaking my reciever, which is some kind of plastic (rugers--mark III .22, and a P95).

Anyway, I guess I'll just keep doing what Im doing--letting them soak for just a few minutes and using some good ol' elbow grease

BTW, I too love the smell of hoppes #9. I still try to clean my guns by an open window when Im using it though...