Children and Guns - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Children and Guns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2009, 12:25 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I was rasied around firearms, got my first BB gun at 7 or 8, bought(I saved for months!) my first shotgun at age 12. My dad owned other firearms and I knew where they were, but I also knew not to mess with them. I was taught very early, watching my dad, grandfather, etc. shoot that guns weren't something to play with. I was also taught the meaning of death, which I think is a big issue related to the topic at hand. I think many children don't understand exactly what death means. I learned this thru talks with my parents, pets, raising animals and growing a garden. Once a child understands a gun CAN(doesn't mean it will) cause death and they understand exactly what death means, they can learn the respect that is required for association with a firearm and the proper handling of that weapon.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 04-23-2009, 12:45 AM   #22

Those were different times, my friend. On my 10th, I was given a sweet little marlin semiauto .22. From that day on, it sat in a gun rack on the wall in my bedroom, no locks, no nothing. My dad held onto the ammo, but I knew where it was if I really wanted to get it. But there was no big deal about it. I knew he would be mad if I took any ammo, and simply did not. My friends came over, and it was not a big deal. I knew where my dads guns were too, but certainly never thought of screwing with them!

Nowadays you need to have trigger locks, and gun safes, and ammo locked up, and who knows what else Obama is going to demand in the coming months. It is like we EXPECT our kids to not behave righteously. We need locks and laws instead of demanding common sense and self responsibility.

Maybe it is the deluge of crappy gun-related films coming out of hollywood. Maybe it is the death-dealing rap music lyrics, or first person shooter video games. I honestly do not know what is causing it, but things are simply not the way they used to be!

Old 04-23-2009, 01:27 AM   #23

I feel that every school system should teach BM (Basic Marksmanship) and firearms safety. Not that stupid NRA BS either. They need to teach the 10 commandments of guns. If we taught kids that along with what really happens when you pull the trigger we would see such a reduced rate of child accidents with firearms.

I grew up in a house so full of guns it was not funny. I think we have 8 gun cabinets in the house total and that means bedrooms each had a gun cabinet. All the keys were kept right on top of them. I knew that if I touched anything in any cabinet I would get the worst azz whooping I have ever seen. I learned about what a firearm can do on our first trip to the ranch. My dad got out his 220 Swift and proceded to thump a squirrel at 275 yards then took me out to look at it. He told me we do this to help the farmer but if you shoot some one this is what happens then it happens to you. So DON'T DO IT.

I was grilled and grilled for months about the 10 commandments of gun safety and proper sight pictures before ever going to the shooting range or the ranch.

If you give kids the knowledge they will have it. Teach kids to respect firearms and that is what they will do.

Our society is going to pot faster and faster every day. Because we are politicaly correct way to much today.

Just today I get a note from my daughters teacher. It says a black student came to her saying my daughter said she was a slave. I talked to my daughter and I got the full story. I guess they were talking and the black girl was saying white people owed her because they owned slaves. My daughter said something about you were not a slave.

To much namby pamby crap today.

Old 04-23-2009, 01:45 AM   #24
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Like most I was raised with guns in the house and learned to shoot at a young age. My Dad use to keep his rifles in glass front gun case that didn't have a lock and he kept a pistol in his dresser drawer. I am one of five kids and we never messed with Dad's guns.

With that said when I became a farther I locked up my guns as I simply didn't want an accident to happen. My kids grew up with guns and shot early but alway when the guns were not in use they were locked up. The exception was the pistol I carried and that was either with me or unloaded and out of sight or in the night stand when I went to bed. I think the potential of harm requires a parent to keep firearms secure even if they believe there children respect and know how to handle firearm properly. A momentary lapse of reason can become a tragidy in a few seconds.

Old 04-23-2009, 03:42 AM   #25

Children and guns... do not belong together unless strictly supervised.

Even if you teach children the 'rule of gun' (hahaha that sounds like rule of thumb) they easily forget because their minds are so actively wandering around the room. Look I'm all for teaching your kids how to shoot and hunt and so on, but the safety rules should be reiterated constantly until it's just knee-jerk reaction. "the gun is always loaded, only point the gun at things you intend to shoot, yada yada..."

Texas is where it's at!
Cheers,
Angry

Old 04-23-2009, 04:03 PM   #26

It's your job as the parent to make sure that the child understands how serious firearms are. Each child is different, one may be ready to learn at 3 or 4, some may not be there until 7 or 8.

Check out today's blog:

Why I DON'T recommend a Stun Gun for Self-Defense

http://www.womenofcaliber.wordpress.com

Old 04-23-2009, 05:01 PM   #27

I posted another blog yesterday. If you're interested here you go.

Countless Government Officials Guilty of Child Endangerment!

When you’re finished reading this piece, I hope that you will see how numerous of our government officials AND the majority of our journalists are actually guilty of premeditated child endangerment in our nation.

Don’t you HATE being manipulated? I don’t know about you, but I LOATHE being manipulated. So much so that when I’m watching a live presentation and I can tell that I’m being manipulated to laugh or clap or holler at a particular moment, I obstinately refuse to be a “joiner.” To me, manipulation is right up there with spewing “bold-face” lies. Such actions are disingenuous, and in my not-so-humble opinion, when such manipulated efforts are perpetrated by a government or otherwise trusted “officials”, it’s worse than just a lie. It’s an act of treason which is intended to strip me of my freedoms and security. So how would you like to discover that countless attempts are shot at you regularly to manipulate how you raise your children, and in doing so are actually putting your children at a significant danger? Yup. Now “Dem’s Fighting Words, Bubba!”

Welcome to the relationship our international media has with guns. Their motives are unfathomable to me, but they clearly reek of a subservience, minion-like attitude of one who is serving a tyrannical king. (Makes me wonder why so much blood has been spilt so that these journalists can have the right of free press, when they clearly do not use such a right freely.) While horrific criminals are being let off Scott free for premeditated murder of children, child abuse, child endangerment, and child slavery, our very own media is in love with manipulating our nation’s parents in their views and education of their children about firearms. IF firearms are a danger to the lives of children, then they are sounding a much needed warning cry. However, IF firearms are actually an effective means of protecting ourselves and our children, then such manipulation is a terrorist act, in my opinion. In such a case, here’s the real crime—the protection and safety of our children should be the number one priority of every single parent in America. Such instincts to protect the children are even remarkably innate in non-parents as well. And IF a firearm can actually ensure that an added measure of safety and security is available for our children, then anyone who would desire to eliminate such a tool is an enemy to my children, the future security of my country, and thus a terrorist enemy to me.

If right now, you cringe at the thought of possessing a firearm in your home or on your persons out of fear that a child may be harmed by it accidentally, then you have indeed fallen prey to this criminal campaign. Here’s why...

If you want you read more click here: Countless Government Officials Guilty of Child Endangerment! « Women of Caliber

The blog is far to long to post the whole thing.

Check out today's blog:

Old 04-23-2009, 05:45 PM   #28

Just like most mentioned here; learned about gun safety early. Got my BB gun at 8, first rimfire rifle at 10 and first centerfire rifle at 14. These were always kept in gun socks under my bed. I never took them out unless Pop was there. He told me, "If you want to take them out fine, let me know and we will go shooting on Saturday."

My friends also had guns under their beds. None of us ever got shot, was arrested or had any gun related problems.

Individual responsibility is totally out the door nowdays.

Semper Fi

Gun Control...sight alignment, sight picture, squeeze...

Old 04-23-2009, 06:32 PM   #29

Liked 76 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Guns, kids, ammo, proper stroage.

Lead by example your kids watch and copy what you do.
I think stressing the importance of guns as a powerfull tool with tremendus potental for fun and also sorrow, My wife came from a part the world where they lived in town and had guns in the home (Barrow Alaska) the sorrow as a young cousin getting shot in the head by a .22 because of ignorance on the part of all parties involved The parents assuming kids would be safe,the boy that put away a loaded firearm (under his bed) and the youngster that treated the firearm as if it wasent loaded (cousin)
Safety is a continious process, never let up, all guns are loaded peroid!
Assumption is the Mother of all F##K ups!
My childern do well safety wise when target shooting, they seem to forget when they are hunting, the best way is to always be aware of the condition of your firearm (by you and them) and being on the job never letting up alway's as the status them guns Hey Zoe are you loaded? is yor bore free of snow & dirt? are you cocked? where is your muzzle pointed? staying aware of the others when hunting/shooting, will your shot carry past what your shooting at? announceing your shot to others!, its a process that comes with time & experence its best to have fun too, But they have to know that bullets cannot be recalled and a .22lr can go through some amazeing stuff includeing kids/Dad's/walls of a home (hasent happened).
I had thankfully started my kids out useing manual single shots (Davey Crickett's) simple to readily see condition of the firearm, easy to clear the action, easy to clear barrel obstructions (snow when hunting) accetable accuracy for kids and reasnonably durable (hate the plastic cocking knob)
The proper storage of a fire arm childern learn by example if you stress the proper storage of a firearm they will follow (monkey see monkey do) you keep guns under beds, in dresser drawers and closets thy'll do the same. they have to have to be shown that tools belong in proper storage , tools in tool boxes, guns in gun safes/guncabinets/ wall racks
Children will listen to what you say but if you do different because you know better or your old and think you know what your doing they will do what you do.
Sending kids to a class is good but it takes the parents to keep the feeble candle of safety from extinguishing through complacency it must be tended at all times.

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 04-23-2009 at 06:44 PM.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:04 PM   #30

I agree Rex. It is definitely the parent's responsibility to teach their kids.

Check out today's blog: