Children and Guns - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Children and Guns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2009, 11:02 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugermike View Post
But I have found that some of the pictures you reference have anti-hunter activist written all over them. JMO:
No anti-hunter platform was ever intended.

Check out today's blog:

Why I DON'T recommend a Stun Gun for Self-Defense

http://www.womenofcaliber.wordpress.com

Old 04-21-2009, 11:24 PM   #12

My dad wasn't much on hunting, but he still taught me firearm saftey.
he was alway's big on the handling of firearms and what they could do.

I don't know how many hours I've spent with my oldest son (he's nine) stalking carboard boxs in the back lot with a red ryder BB gun. Teaching proper firearms handling. My youngest son (he's three) trying to follow suit. They both are well aware of what a firearm is capable of doing . Their is no reset like a video game. Anyone could ask my boy's what to do when they find a firearm. Their response would be don't touch it go get Dad!!!

I do have to say the time spent paid off this past fall watching him stalk his first grey squirrel with his .410 . I don't know who was prouder me or him when we sat down for a squirrel dinner that day. Deer season should be interesting this year.

So what if today's AR hunting rifle started off as a military rifle? So did your dad's bolt action and your grandpa's lever action.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:32 AM   #13

I shot my first rifle when I was 5, owned my first rifle when 10. My two kids: started when 6 and I bought rifles for them when they were 10 too. Of course, the laws are stricter now, and I have to lock up their guns for them until they have their licenses.

I guess the answer involves how reliable and able to learn the kids are. There are probably some 20 year olds that are not ready! I think you start them off with .22 rifle, sitting or prone position, and watch them like a hawk. If they are following ALL of the rules you start giving them some slack after maybe 5 times to the range. It helps if it is just you and your kids there--a lot of adults flip out when they see young kids shooting on "their" range.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:43 AM   #14

Liked 348 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 31

IMO the best way to teach children about fireatms is to take them shooting soonly as they come of age to handle the weapon. My dad started my brothers and I about 5 years of age and it was very controlled by dad and mom. Can and bottle targets on our property and how to carry a firearm when shooting as well as not shooting for safety. We never had a BB gun, dad wouldnt allow it. WE started off on a .22 and then to a 16 ga. and then shortly to a bolt .30-.30 before we were 7 y.o. We got to see what damage a bullet could do before it could have been possible a issue, and we were tought respect about what guns could do. My dad who is 98 y.o. now came from Missouri and shooting better have put food on the table or a a$$ whippin was coming from his father. This was an era long gone by, but the value and merits of this generation is priceless in these days and times. My brothers and I have these values only by luck. Guns in our family is no big deal, they are a tool. WE dont see firearms as a defence device or a method of protection, however, if the time arrises we are more than prepaired than most. I rarely hunt any more but I still shoot competition fairly regulary. I compare it to golf. Mostly it's not fun because it's about accuracy and practice, which gets boaring, and taxes ones free time to do other things if you choose to do this and be truely competitive. My dad was given 3 or 4 shells by his dad back in the teens and through the early 1920's and if he didnt bring back as much meat as shells he was given to hunt with he got a a$$ whippen from his dad. They were fairly poor and needed the meat they hunted for to survive. My grand boys ( I only have 2 and they are boys) the oldest one who is just 5 y.o. now shot his first .22 bolt rifle a few months ago. He WILL be taught saftey and how to handle firearms from me and me alone. It's my responsibility and no one elses. My son in law works too much, like me, and doesnt have the proper amount of time to talk and show and let the kids have time to "figure it out" under proper supervision. I dont have a problem with that because I'm here to do that for my grand kids. No NRA coloring book or video will hold a candle to what I can pass down from my dad to my grand boys. (I'm a NRA member BTW) Aside from the aforementioned they (the grand kids) will be taught how to make money and be self sufficent within our given society and not to buy into the "status quo" of society as it stands now or will stand for later. These are only a couple of things that are most critical for me to work on for them IMO. I've done these things for my kids as a single father parent I might add, and it has proven to have worked out well for them.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:50 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanz View Post
I shot my first rifle when I was 5, owned my first rifle when 10. My two kids: started when 6 and I bought rifles for them when they were 10 too. Of course, the laws are stricter now, and I have to lock up their guns for them until they have their licenses.

I guess the answer involves how reliable and able to learn the kids are. There are probably some 20 year olds that are not ready! I think you start them off with .22 rifle, sitting or prone position, and watch them like a hawk. If they are following ALL of the rules you start giving them some slack after maybe 5 times to the range. It helps if it is just you and your kids there--a lot of adults flip out when they see young kids shooting on "their" range.
Great post. We raised three children (two boys and a girl) firearms are a big part of my life and it carried over to the boys. They now all have children of their own and I expect the tradition to continue.
Guns are tools that need to be treated with respect and common sense. Too many people are over thinking some of the most basic thought processes in todays society, it's astounding to me how over protective and controlling our society has become.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:43 AM   #16

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

I was taught from a very young age that guns are not toys and should be treated with respect. I wasn't even allowed to play with "toy" guns until I was old enough to know the difference. Both my parents took gun safety very seriously. My dad was in the National Guard and my mom lived on a farm when she was younger so they were both around guns alot and they also learned the dangers of firearms from a young age.

Now that I have a little one on the way, I know that firearm safety is one thing I'm gonna take pride in teaching him.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 04-22-2009, 03:52 PM   #17

I really have enjoyed reading what some of you guys do. I'm glad that our kids are being taught at a young age. More importantly I am happy that they are being taught to respect firearms!

Check out today's blog:

Old 04-22-2009, 08:33 PM   #18

Guns are pretty much like anything else you train your kids about. You teach them to look both ways when crossing the street. Your show them how to spot a rip tide at the beach. You show him the bad areas of town to stay away from at night. You point out things around the house that can catch fire, pop into their eyes, splinter off and cut them, etc. You show them how to saw a piece of wood without cutting off a finger. So, of course, you want them to know how to shoot a gun too.

Even if you are an anti, you have to acknowledge that sometime between when they are 5 and 20, they will be at someones house, and that kid will pull out his dad's firearm to show off! You want your kid to be smart enough to make sure nobody points it at anybody else, and either makes sure it is safetied and unloaded, or to at least get the heck out of Dodge before he/she gets shot. If they have never had any training, then the peer pressure to be "cool" is going to be too great, and they are going to play ganstah with it. Some kid who has put 500 rounds down range is not going to be fooling around unsafely with a gun his friend has just found! He will know better.

Last edited by Spanz; 04-22-2009 at 08:36 PM.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:35 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanz View Post

Even if you are an anti, you have to acknowledge that sometime between when they are 5 and 20, they will be at someones house, and that kid will pull out his dad's firearm to show off! You want your kid to be smart enough to either make sure it is safetied and unloaded, or to at least get the heck out of Dodge before he/she gets shot. If they have never had any training, then the peer pressure to be "cool" is going to be too great, and they are going to play ganstah with it. Some kid who has put 500 rounds down range is not going to be fooling around unsafely with a gun his friend has just found! He will know better.
This is very well said and so true! Thanks Spanz!

Check out today's blog:

Old 04-22-2009, 10:44 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 56 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Maybe... and I hope you are right.