Children and Guns
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Children and Guns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2009, 09:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Children and Guns

What's your stance on this subject? I feel very strongly about educating children about firearms. I'm curious to see what you guys do. What age do you begin teaching your kids? I wrote a 4 part blog post about this subject and received mix reviews.

Children and Guns—Part 1 « Women of Caliber

Children and Guns—Part 2 « Women of Caliber

Children and Guns Part 3 « Women of Caliber

Children and Guns Part 4 « Women of Caliber

Check out today's blog:

Why I DON'T recommend a Stun Gun for Self-Defense

http://www.womenofcaliber.wordpress.com

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-21-2009, 10:08 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I grew up with guns in the house. I was taught that they were dangerous from an early age. My dad first took me shooting at age 4. My brother's first trip was at 2.

We grew up in the woods, guns equaled food and recreation. We were taught those things, along with the responsibilities that went with them.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:11 PM   #3

I'm glad that you were taught about guns at such an early age. That's great!

Check out today's blog:

Old 04-21-2009, 10:22 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Same here, I got my first BB gun at 5 and was shooting competition by 8. My sister and I were taught all about the weapons my dad had and how dangerous they were, that they were not to be played with, etc.

Never had any problems in our house. It was never something that NEEDED to be played with when the parents weren't around. It was always allowed to ask questions or check them out with proper supervision, so the mystique and "fantasy" part of it went out the window very early on.

I am pro education from a very early age - it will save curiosity getting them in trouble later on.

JD

Old 04-21-2009, 10:24 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WomenofCaliber View Post
I'm glad that you were taught about guns at such an early age. That's great!
And so shall my son and daughter. It's my responsibility as a gun owner and a parent.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Old 04-21-2009, 10:26 PM   #6

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Dad took my sister and I shooting when we were 6 and 7. He taught us that guns were not toys, toy guns were toys. He emphasized the destructive nature of guns in that once you pulled the trigger, there was no calling the bullet back or getting a do over; what was done was done. He indoctrinated us with responsibility, something I never thanked him for. For me, I couldn't wait to trade in my toy guns for a real one. My sister went the other way and is anti-gun even though she knows better. That must be a real conflict.

I attended my first hunters safety class when I was 11 years old. Participated on the rifle team in high school (don't see that much anymore) and became an avid outdoorsman. I taught my son to shoot when he was 9 or ten and he went on to earn his Expert Rifleman in the Marines and two requalification bars. I know the Corps had more to do with refining his shooting than I did, but I feel he never got any bum information from old Dad.

I cannot stress how important it is to familiarize children with firearms, especially if they are going to be in a home where firearms are kept. This could even be at a friends home they are visiting. They need to understand the responsibility they undertake when they pick up a weapon.

Last edited by dunerunner; 04-21-2009 at 11:19 PM.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:27 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Never had any problems in our house. It was never something that NEEDED to be played with when the parents weren't around. It was always allowed to ask questions or check them out with proper supervision, so the mystique and "fantasy" part of it went out the window very early on.
This mirrors exactly what went on in our house.

I never heard the words "Don't touch that, it doesn't belong to you."

It was always, "That's dangerous and you need to make sure that dad is around to help you with it, so no one gets hurt."

Roger Waters

Old 04-21-2009, 10:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
And so shall my son and daughter. It's my responsibility as a gun owner and a parent.
I agree 100% It is the parents responsibility to teach their children.

Check out today's blog:

Old 04-21-2009, 10:31 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
I agree 100% It is the parents responsibility to teach their children.
Even if you don't teach them, they still learn from you.

Roger Waters

Old 04-21-2009, 10:54 PM   #10

Quote:
What's your stance on this subject? I feel very strongly about educating children about firearms. I'm curious to see what you guys do. What age do you begin teaching your kids? I wrote a 4 part blog post about this subject and received mix reviews.

Children and Guns—Part 1 « Women of Caliber

Children and Guns—Part 2 « Women of Caliber

Children and Guns Part 3 « Women of Caliber

Children and Guns Part 4 « Women of Caliber
I have been doing firearm training for all walks of life for many years now. There are (2) Number one rules in my book #1 communication (both ways) and #2 "knowledge is everything". I'm not judging your blogs or your good hearted ideas, But I have found that some of the pictures you reference have anti-hunter activist written all over them. JMO: