Cheap Ammunition for the Mind!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Cheap Ammunition for the Mind!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2011, 01:41 AM   #1
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1334 Times on 698 Posts
Likes Given: 612

Default Cheap Ammunition for the Mind!

It has often been said that the best weapon we can have is between our ears, however, most public libraries don't have titles that would help us survive in a SHTF scenario. There are several publishers that have book and DVD titles that are interesting to those wanting to learn shooting tactics (but maybe can't afford the classes right now), urban and wilderness survival, off-road driving, trap building, surviving in harsh environments, tracking animals, etc. Paladin Press is one of these but you'll rarely find their materials available for borrowing.

The fact is, most people need to read an instructional book once or twice, watch a DVD three or four times and then it sits on the shelf gathering dust. Since I've been on this forum, I've been impressed with the maturity of the members and I'm wondering if the members would be interested in a trading library from which we could all benefit. If we all add books and DVDs we currently own and don't use to the library and get others we want, our knowledge base could grow exponentially!

I had originally thought of this as a trading source, much like a public library. However, a friend pointed out that the way a public library keeps its assets safe is to track members, collect credit cards as security and fine members for not returning assets, as is popular with government-designed models. This would not only be tedious but would violate some people's sense of anonymity and security that is popular with some. The other model suggested would be similar to a trading book store: Anyone sending in books/DVDs/kits/maps/etc. would be credited 25% of the retail value of the items sent in. All items in inventory could be borrowed/purchased for a deposit/price of 50% of retail value. All items would be shipped Media Mail through the post office to keep costs down and no credit information or deposit needs to be tracked. If you wish to keep the item, you may, because you have essentially purchased it. If not, you return it for credit and get more stuff sent to you!

Now, for all of the accountants out there, yes, a surplus is being generated. However, I thought it could be formed as a 501(c)(3) corporation and any excess funds could be used to purchase books from places like Paladin Press or similar publishers and added to the library. As a corporation, we could get a corporate discount, a bulk discount, and also take advantage of scratch and dent sales to help stock up a maximum number of titles.

Does anyone think this would be a good idea and possibly workable? I haven't started the "SHTF Bookstore" and I'm just looking for input! I'm not an ego that has to be fed, so let me know what holes you can really punch in this idea. Also, if it was a website and you could just order and have it arrive at your doorstep, would you use it? Would you mail your stuff in for credit?

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-01-2011, 01:54 AM   #2

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sounds like a good idea to me and ya id use it but id have to hear a few more peoples imput

Old 10-01-2011, 04:06 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Genious idea completely doable

Old 10-02-2011, 11:54 PM   #4
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1334 Times on 698 Posts
Likes Given: 612

Thanks, so far! Still looking for anyone that has a downside comment - I'd like to know the pitfalls before pushing forward, if I do.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 10-03-2011, 01:15 AM   #5

Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Someone 'borrowing' a hard to find and expensive book and not returning it would be one that would concern me.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLuby
Someone 'borrowing' a hard to find and expensive book and not returning it would be one that would concern me.
That was my thought but I just thought maybe I was being a bit tough on other peoples honor

Old 10-06-2011, 04:07 AM   #7

Liked 1102 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLuby View Post
This could be somewhat rectified by only allowing "Supporting Members" to participate in the process.

In addition, its a honor based system. Anyone that would betray their own honor would no longer be worthy of participating in the system. Its a honor to participate, not a privilege.

So, anymore news on if/how/when this is moving forward? I'm really interested as well!

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 10-06-2011, 04:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigByrd47119

This could be somewhat rectified by only allowing "Supporting Members" to participate in the process.
Im not a supporting member....yet, but I do have alot of books that could be very useful. So how would that situation be handled?

Old 10-06-2011, 06:56 AM   #9

Liked 1102 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
Im not a supporting member....yet, but I do have alot of books that could be very useful. So how would that situation be handled?
Two ways.

1.) Since only Supporting Members can participate, you are SOL (unless you become a Supporting Member).

2.) Anyone can donate to the library, but only Supporting Members can borrow from the library.

I'm not a Supporting Member either at this point in time, but something like this could be a great way to get other people to become Supporting Members. I know I would if it meant being able to borrow from the library.

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 10-06-2011, 10:28 PM   #10

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
~~ The other model suggested would be similar to a trading book store: Anyone sending in books/DVDs/kits/maps/etc. would be credited 25% of the retail value of the items sent in. All items in inventory could be borrowed/purchased for a deposit/price of 50% of retail value. All items would be shipped Media Mail through the post office to keep costs down and no credit information or deposit needs to be tracked. If you wish to keep the item, you may, because you have essentially purchased it. If not, you return it for credit and get more stuff sent to you! ~~
Tek,

Is the model above, the model you are currently suggesting be used?

--------------------------