CCW what of them?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > CCW what of them?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2012, 08:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Default CCW what of them?

I'm getting ready to take my CCW permits class this weekend what do I have to look foward too?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-23-2012, 08:57 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

I remembered mine being a make-shift classroom in a gun shop taught by a local sheriff. Consisted mostly of forms being filled out, and picture and fingerprints taken.
Then a familiarity of gun laws, what to do, what not to do, and a series of antidotes of burglaries, muggings, etc. as told by officer. Then it's all over!

Old 03-23-2012, 09:01 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 28 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugers9 View Post
I'm getting ready to take my CCW permits class this weekend what do I have to look foward too?
Depending on if the course is strictly law oriented or a combination of law and practical shooting, I would say you should be well informed by the time you get done. I went through the Madison Area Tech College course, it was from 9am to about 4pm, with 1 hour for lunch, and since I had competed in conventional pistol for over 18 years, I needed the legal aspect of this endeavor. The instructor was extremely knowledgeable, (he also taught tactical training courses for Madison area SWAT teams). I found that around 40 to 50% of the students were female. I attended this course in a small community so I am glad the women were interested in this. Seems like there are more private teachings going on, which I haven't heard anything about, but I have heard the GanderMountain courses are good also. They combine legal with the firing of your own gun at their ranges.
I would at the least expect you will come away with a better awareness of what to expect if you ever need to use your weapon. I did not know it was legal in WI to conceal stun guns, knives, batons, when you pass the WI DOJ approved training. It is not legal in WI to have a taser or stun gun unless you have a CCW permit, if you're not an LEO.
I hope you also will look into the USCCA.com for information on liability insurance. It made sense for me to carry it, as I also need liability insurance for my repair business.
Hope this gives you some clues, as usual YMMV
earl

Old 03-23-2012, 11:13 PM   #4

Liked 29 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Mine was a 6 hour course, private instruction on a private range. My instructor covered a lot of information that day. I think I sent 250 rounds down range total for the course and then we covered Florida law for a bout 2 hours.

I can't stress enough to print your states statutes, know them and keep a copy on you. There are many LEO's that do not know the statutes so having a copy could save you a trip down town. In Florida there is a statute allowing open carry when fishing and camping, while fishing 1 day a local LEO had a really bad attitude with me until I requested he let me reach in my back pocket to show him the copy of the statute.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:58 PM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Just finished my class it was a blast just over 3 hours and much of it was range time. For 30 bucks, no complaints here.