Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Carry with a round in the chamber?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2010, 03:27 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 38 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindenwood View Post
Think about this!

You are in your car at a stoplight, and some guy tries reaching through your window to drag you out. Even worse, your kid is in the back seat, so just letting him take the car is absolutely not an option. There is no possible way you'd be able to load a round while likely fighting him off with your left hand. Chamber loaded is the only way to go.

Though, I do carry with the safety off and the trigger in DA mode (Taurus PT92).

The best response to this is to ...... drive away as fast as you can while holding on to the SOB then ... OPPs... I droped him.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:32 AM   #32

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

My opinion: Always carry with one in the chamber. It's there, ready to use, without having to think about it.

I've carried a handgun since Jan of 1972. Back then I don't remember anyone using a holster to carry our weapons off duty with the exception of winter in the north. Then we could put away our peashooter 38's and carry our magnums in shoulder holsters. We all would stick whatever we were carrying in our waistbands. Some would wind tape or rubberbands around the grip to keep the gun from sliding down inside our pants. Later on when we went to semi-auto's; Glocks, Sig's, S&W's, etc. same thing, slide them in the waistband and go. I think the main reason is that the guns were easier to hide without the bulge of a holster.

My son just bought an XDM and he was asking me about a carry holster saying that he remembered I never carried in one. He asked "weren't you afraid of the gun going off"? I told him if I was worried, I never would have done it. He's getting a holster for his peace of mind.

Now I have known several people who have shot themselves, one while practicing his draws from a holster in front of a mirror (in the ass), and one at the range (down the right side of her calf) putting her gun in the holster with her finger still on the trigger. Both were police officers with several years on the job who should have known better.

I have also heard years ago, of older, very cheaply made guns fire after being dropped to the floor or ground. Manufacturers have taken great strides to make better weapons, mostly because of the potential lawsuits.

If you are careless, bad things happen.

Always carry your weapon in the same place and manner, get comfortable with it.
Practice and practice again drawing and replacing the weapon only when its unloaded.
Never put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to fire that weapon and then only when the weapon is pointed in the direction you want to shoot.

Follow the rules of safety and respect your weapon(s) and you should be okay.

My 2 cents......

Old 02-02-2010, 10:31 AM   #33
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
My opinion: Always carry with one in the chamber. It's there, ready to use, without having to think about it.

I've carried a handgun since Jan of 1972. Back then I don't remember anyone using a holster to carry our weapons off duty with the exception of winter in the north. Then we could put away our peashooter 38's and carry our magnums in shoulder holsters. We all would stick whatever we were carrying in our waistbands. Some would wind tape or rubberbands around the grip to keep the gun from sliding down inside our pants. Later on when we went to semi-auto's; Glocks, Sig's, S&W's, etc. same thing, slide them in the waistband and go. I think the main reason is that the guns were easier to hide without the bulge of a holster.

My son just bought an XDM and he was asking me about a carry holster saying that he remembered I never carried in one. He asked "weren't you afraid of the gun going off"? I told him if I was worried, I never would have done it. He's getting a holster for his peace of mind.

Now I have known several people who have shot themselves, one while practicing his draws from a holster in front of a mirror (in the ass), and one at the range (down the right side of her calf) putting her gun in the holster with her finger still on the trigger. Both were police officers with several years on the job who should have known better.

I have also heard years ago, of older, very cheaply made guns fire after being dropped to the floor or ground. Manufacturers have taken great strides to make better weapons, mostly because of the potential lawsuits.

If you are careless, bad things happen.

Always carry your weapon in the same place and manner, get comfortable with it.
Practice and practice again drawing and replacing the weapon only when its unloaded.
Never put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to fire that weapon and then only when the weapon is pointed in the direction you want to shoot.

Follow the rules of safety and respect your weapon(s) and you should be okay.

My 2 cents......
I totally agree. I've been carrying for about as long as you (since early 70's) and not a single mishap with a firearm. PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE is your only way to develop muscle memory.

Those that don't practice and don't obey the rules, get hurt.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:07 PM   #34

Liked 181 Times on 125 Posts

Gentlemen :
I thought Plaxico Burress had put the kibosh on carrying a Glock stuck in the waistband.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:11 AM   #35

There is always a round in the chamber. When it gets bad I doubt there would be enough time to rack the slide. With a good holster you should never have a concern about an AD.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:58 AM   #36

I think this is basically optional for anyone carrying. Cowboys back in the day left a chamber empty in their revolvers for a reason

Old 02-18-2010, 04:18 PM   #37

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer219 View Post
I think this is basically optional for anyone carrying. Cowboys back in the day left a chamber empty in their revolvers for a reason
They carried that way because of the design of the firearm.

Unless you are carrying a firearm with no safeties and an exposed hammer, there is no reason to do so now...

Old 02-18-2010, 09:40 PM   #38

Modern guns are safe to carry with a live round in the chamber. Accidents happen and you cant let one accident turn you into a sissy or a coward.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:53 PM   #39

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyEclipse View Post
Modern guns are safe to carry with a live round in the chamber. Accidents happen and you cant let one accident turn you into a sissy or a coward.
Accidents with firearms have little to do with being a sissy or coward. Being dead or in prison usually takes care of that.

But this thread is getting beat to death. Don't carry if you are only carrying to say you do. Not being ready in a life or death situation could mean your death.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 02-19-2010, 12:45 AM   #40

I meant that hearing about someone having an accidental discharge should not discourage someone to carry without one in the chamber. Carrying without one in the chamber kind of loses the point of owning a firearm. You prepare yourself by carrying a firearm but if it isn't ready to go then you aren't really prepared.
The sissy/coward remark was just sarcasm because I have read this topic many, many times on this forum and I haven't even been a member.

Closed Thread