Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Carry with a round in the chamber?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2009, 02:15 PM   #21
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5464 Times on 2854 Posts
Likes Given: 354

when i was in the military police the standing orders were to keep the M9 berretta unload with the magazine in its case on the opposite hip from the gun...

i bought my own magazine which was a silver ramline thing of some sort. it had a coiled rolled up piece of metal as a spring and it unrolled as the follow was drepressed with loaded rounds. taking the butt plate off the magazine it appeared that the weapon was empty when viewed in the holster. the butt plate was merely a dust cover.

i carried 18 rounds of 9mm 124gr fmj with one in the chamber every patrol. i would have prefered hollow points but it would have been a bit hard to convince anyone that the nato rounds i was supposed to have mysteriously expanded sometimes it was hard to hide the mag in my pocket during pre-patrol uniform inspections but i wasnt about to go out and do police work unarmed because some hippy in congress was afraid of guns.

my whole point is if your going out dont go out unready if your gonna carry. if your not comfy with your weapon train with it more. if your still not happy pick a different gun. walking around with an unloaded weapon is just asking for someone to take it away from you and use it on you.

Old 11-29-2009, 03:41 PM   #22

I carried a custom Colt 1911 series 70 .45 cocked and locked for over 25 years, on duty and off and never had a problem. No matter what you carry, you need lots of training - proper training. Things learned wrong will be remembered forever, but things learned correctly can soon be forgotten. Only perfect practice makes perfect. Due to our present policy, I now carry a Para 7-45 LDO.

Are you sure that you are keeping your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot? In a video of experienced officers on the F.A.T.S. course, it showed that most of them had their finger on the trigger during their presentation and didn't realize it.

Slow is correct, correct is smooth, smooth becomes fast!

Old 11-30-2009, 09:19 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

In 20 years as an MP I only saw to discharges of a weapon by fellow MPS. Both were due to carelessness. Both were 1911 pistols and had nothing to do with the function of the weapon but the guys caring them.
I always carried with round in the chamber pistol or rifle. Never took the chance of someone getting the drop.

SOUTHERN BORN CONSERVATIVE REDNECK AND VERY PROUD OF IT

ARMY 1970-1971 MP SGT Nam
Army 1976-1994 MP/CID Agent 1SG

Old 12-02-2009, 02:37 AM   #24

Thank you for your service, Robert. I had 4 years Navy Reserve, 8 1/2 years active service, went to Nam. got out and finished up in the Army National Guard with 26 plus years. I was Battalion NBC NCO. We have a MP Guard Unit here in Murphy.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:43 PM   #25

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Think about this!

You are in your car at a stoplight, and some guy tries reaching through your window to drag you out. Even worse, your kid is in the back seat, so just letting him take the car is absolutely not an option. There is no possible way you'd be able to load a round while likely fighting him off with your left hand. Chamber loaded is the only way to go.

Though, I do carry with the safety off and the trigger in DA mode (Taurus PT92).

Old 01-25-2010, 12:10 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelt View Post
I typically carry my Kel Tec P32 without a round in the chamber. With no safety I feel better this way. It would be a distinct disadvantage should I need to fire in a hurry. Any thoughts from the more seasoned concealed carry guys?
The rules of gun safety teach not to rely on any mechanical safety. According to Mr. Murphy, a safety will fail. The only safety you can rely on is keeping your finger off the trigger till you are ready to fire. Carrying in a holster that covers the trigger will help keep everything else out of the trigger guard till you are ready for a bang.

Edit to add: Carrying without one in the chamber turns a firearm into a brick, sometimes you will not have the time or free hand required to cycle the action to chamber a round.

Last edited by SirGeorgeKillian; 01-25-2010 at 12:12 AM.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:05 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelt View Post
I typically carry my Kel Tec P32 without a round in the chamber. With no safety I feel better this way. It would be a distinct disadvantage should I need to fire in a hurry. Any thoughts from the more seasoned concealed carry guys?
Hey! I carry that very same pistol! :^5 It's my "purse pack".

I do carry it hot.

Did you buy it new? It comes with a little plastic disc that you slide behind the trigger while it's holstered. That's it's safety. When you draw, tilt slightly and the disc falls out. Then you're free to bang.

If you don't have one they're easy enough to get. Or maybe you can find something suitable in a tinker toys box or the tool chest.

Last edited by TheGunLady; 02-01-2010 at 04:08 AM.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:43 AM   #28

I have small kids and I am careful not leave my guns where they can get them and I am teaching them about gun safety already. Still though they like to sit on my lap or crawl on me and having a gun in a pocket holster with one in the chamber and no safety is just too uncomfortable to me. The pocket holster covers the trigger but someone mentioned Mr. Murphy a minute ago......

Old 02-01-2010, 11:00 AM   #29
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 53 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I keep one in the pipe all the time. Even my Kel Tec P3AT.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:21 PM   #30

I've come to realize through teaching that many people have the wrong idea about gun safety mechanisms. I use a door lock analogy to help students understand.

When someone locks the dead bolt on the front door of their home, they twist the knob or turn the key and a steel post slides between the door and the door frame. They feel warm and fuzzy and safe knowing that the bolt is engaged and the door cannot be opened.

Car door locks work differently. When someone locks their car doors, all they've done is disengage the door handles. No steel post slides out of anywhere between the car doors and the frame. They've simply made the door handles inoperable. Just because the car doors are locked doesn't mean the doors are any safer to lean on than before the doors were locked.

Anything that thwarts an accidental trigger pull is a "safety". Gun safety mechanisms work more like car door locks. They don't slide the cartridge out of the chamber or make it any less hot, they simply thwart the trigger mechanism and/or make it difficult to fire the gun by pulling the trigger. No matter the safety configuration on a firearm, the cartridge remains in firing position and remains hot. That gun is no less hot than it was before the safety was engaged.

And if one is carrying a double action, that gun is capable of loading a cartridge into the chamber automatically. Just because they didn't put one there on purpose doesn't mean there can't be one there.

Many people will refer to firearms as having "no safety" if there isn't some sort of switch on them, but this isn't necessarily true. As I said, my little Kel Tec has a plastic disc that slides behind the trigger. This does the same thing as a switch safety - thwarts an accidental trigger pull. It is a safety. My double action S&W 640 has a long, heavy trigger pull. That, too, is a safety. One isn't going to accidentally pull that trigger. You have to really want to.

IMO, those sorts of safety mechanisms are actually "safer" than the switch type. Those switches may fail, and/or a sharp strike will engage the firing pin, and one may never know they aren't "safe" until the gun goes bang with the switch in "on" position. People will carry around a firearm with a safety switch on and feel all warm and fuzzy about it. They often stop treating it as a loaded firearm, thinking it's a "safe gun" because the switch is flipped. That's a scary reality.

If I were queen of the world, I'd remove every safety switch mechanism from every handgun. There should never be a "warm and fuzzy" simply because a switch has been flipped. Likewise, there shouldn't be a warm and fuzzy just because one didn't put a cartridge into the chamber on purpose.

Last edited by TheGunLady; 02-01-2010 at 02:29 PM.

Closed Thread