Carry with a round in the chamber? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Carry with a round in the chamber?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2009, 03:31 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
+1 Chris, good solid advice!

I don’t carry a gun dumbed down to be safe, I carry one that will be incredibly dangerous when I “SAFELY” remove it from my holster and blow some dirt bag’s heart out!

The fears expressed are of personal self control, not weapon safety, grow up and take responsibility! OR, take that weapon out of your pocket!

Indeed, the best advice here.

Personal carry comes with personal responsibility and self control, knowing your weapon like your wive's pleasure zones, and that there are no "do overs" after a life-threatening situation requires you to draw it.

It is over with.

It's final.

Are you confidant? Still standing? Uninjured?

If so, you are the surviving winner! And that......is what this it is all about.

Thanks Cane.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 10-18-2009, 04:20 PM   #12

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Late on this one, but I carry both my 1991A1 and Taurus 24/7 Pro with a round in the pipe and safety on. There is a good 3 second delay in drawing your weapon and racking the slide to engage a round. If your encounter involves another armed (with a gun) BG, you're at a disadvantage; especially if they have their weapon drawn.

I take carrying a weapon very seriously and I am confident every other member who carries does as well. I run scenarios in my head all the time and there are situations I have thought of that I don't ever want to find myself in, but am prepared mentally to deal with them if it happens.

Remember, once the bullet leaves the muzzle of your gun, there are no do overs.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 10-18-2009, 04:25 PM   #13

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
There is a good 3 second delay in drawing your weapon and racking the slide to engage a round. If your encounter involves another armed (with a gun) BG, you're at a disadvantage; especially if they have their weapon drawn.
That heartbeat required to rack a round to battery may well be your last.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 10-18-2009, 04:46 PM   #14

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
There is a good 3 second delay in drawing your weapon and racking the slide to engage a round.
It doesn't even have to be a gun duner.

There was a defense video, I am pretty sure it was a police/FBI training video that showed an officer with a holstered weapon facing two bad guys.

One of the bad guys had a pistol in his waistband and the other had a switchblade knife out and in his hand.

The distance was like 10 feet, 12 feet, something like that.

Before the officer could pull his weapon to shoot the guy with the gun, the guy with the knife had already crossed the distance and mock stabbed the officer.

My thought is this: If you need a weapon in a hurry, you need it now and you need to get it smoking. Taking an additional 2 or 3 seconds to rack a slide is just another 2 or 3 second advantage for the other guy.

Now, if that makes you feel better to carry that way, at least you have a weapon, so that is better than not.

However. Condition 1 is the only way to carry in my opinion.

JD

Old 10-18-2009, 05:42 PM   #15

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Saw something similar on "Best Defence", I believe they were at either Gunsite or Thunder Ranch. So much for bringing a knife to a gun fight!!

And exactly what my thoughts were when writing my response, situations that make your hair stand!!

I hate posting YouTube vids, especially when I don't know the source well; but this one has some good tips for pocket carry.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:34 AM   #16
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Carry like your expecting to need it in a milisecond. If you aren't right with that get more training until you are right with that. Anything less might be an advantage to the threat your facing.

Train, then practice, practice and more practice. It takes time but if you don't at some point just might take the time/life you would of had.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:41 PM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I cannot imagine a situation where I would lawfully carry a firearm for protection but not have a round in the chamber.

Old 11-17-2009, 04:03 AM   #18

Default Please carry loaded.

After teaching cops for over 17 years, please, please, carry a round in the chamber. As was said before, the only way you will accidentally pull that long trigger, is if you put your finger in the trigger guard and pull the trigger. After conducting scenario based training for years with very well trained people, I will tell you, there is no time for you to chamber a round. That is a marginal round in the first place and in a defensive situation, surprise and a head start are what you need. If you take the time to chamber a round, you are shot if he intends to do you harm. If he didn't, now he may. If you have time to approach a bad guy doing harm to another, you may give yourself away by making noise. A small pocket pistol just doesn't have the same effect as a shotgun racking.

Get a pocket holster, load the pistol and carry that way. Just don't carry other items in the same pocket with a pocket gun. Good way to scratch your pistol and maybe snag the trigger. Small chance, but, it is there. I posted some videos on Youtube if you want to see a related video. Search talontraininggroup and look at anything tagged Ruger LCP or similar. There is a distraction drill on one of them.

"Honor never grows old, and honor rejoices the heart of age. It does so because honor is, finally, about defending those noble and worthy things that deserve defending, even if it comes at a high cost. In our time, that may mean social disapproval, public scorn, hardship, persecution, or as always, even death itself.
The question remains: What is worth defending? What is worth dying for? What is worth living for?"

- William J. Bennett

Old 11-17-2009, 05:37 AM   #19

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Relevant to the discussion.

Tueller Drill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

tueller drill - Google Videos

I would always have a round in the chamber.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:55 PM   #20

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Never understood why you would not carry with a round in the chamber.

What are you going to do when TSHTF? Ask the perp Oh please wait while I draw and load my weapon.

No you need to deploy and use said weapon in a manner in which means life or death.

Having an unloaded gun in a gun fight is just as good as having a rock. You better throw it at him and run away flailing your arms and screaming like a 12 year old girl.

Closed Thread