Carry with a round in the chamber?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Carry with a round in the chamber?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2009, 12:19 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Carry with a round in the chamber?

I typically carry my Kel Tec P32 without a round in the chamber. With no safety I feel better this way. It would be a distinct disadvantage should I need to fire in a hurry. Any thoughts from the more seasoned concealed carry guys?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-18-2009, 01:16 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelt View Post
I typically carry my Kel Tec P32 without a round in the chamber. With no safety I feel better this way. It would be a distinct disadvantage should I need to fire in a hurry. Any thoughts from the more seasoned concealed carry guys?
Do you carry in a holster? If so, don't stick your finger on the trigger unless you mean to and you'll be just fine... I carry a 1911 with a round in the chamber, though, it does have a safety. If I did carry a DOA pistol w/o a safety I would still carry with one in the chamber. Wasting too much precious time trying to chamber a round when you actually need it IMHO.

Old 10-18-2009, 01:22 AM   #3

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

1. This thread has been done to death.

2. Don't carry if you are not prepared to protect yourself at a moments notice.

3. What do your state laws have to say about the issue?

4. While I like the Kel-Tec P32, I know that it will not shoot itself.

5. No safety, and the handy pocket clip does not make it unsafe.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 10-18-2009, 01:31 AM   #4

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Go out and buy a CCW you're not afraid of.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 10-18-2009, 01:44 AM   #5

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Go out and buy a CCW you're not afraid of.
That's kinda what I was trying to say....in a 'round about way.

At my favorite gun shop, the owner carries a P32 with the pocket clip. I've never seen him limping.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 10-18-2009, 04:36 AM   #6

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

It's funny, when I posted this same question about a Glock, it ended up garnering about 100 replies. But the bottom line was this advice: You must feel comfortable with the weapon you have, and the condition in which you carry it. Carry it the same way ALL the time. The biggest safety is your consistent handling of the weapon in the same, safe way each time you handle it.

Both of my guns are DAO without a safety and one doesn't even have that "safe" trigger thingy. I feel perfectly safe with one in the chamber. But there are others who have trained very consistently to rack the slide every time they draw.

My Kahr is a little too finicky for the slingshot procedure to load a round, and the Glock feels fine with one in the chamber, so that's how I carry.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 10-18-2009, 01:01 PM   #7

It is not about the gun. I am not sure I would be comfortable carrying with a round in the chamber even if it had a manual safety. I used to have a snub nosed 38 revolver. I would carry it with only 4 rounds so I could let it rest on an empty.

With my Kel Tec I have a pocket holster that covers the trigger and I also have the clip so I sometimes carry it inside my waistband. I guess I am just looking to see if others on here carry with one chambered.....

Old 10-18-2009, 01:13 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelt View Post
It is not about the gun. I am not sure I would be comfortable carrying with a round in the chamber even if it had a manual safety. I used to have a snub nosed 38 revolver. I would carry it with only 4 rounds so I could let it rest on an empty.

Why? This issue has been delt with long ago by manufacturers.

With my Kel Tec I have a pocket holster that covers the trigger and I also have the clip so I sometimes carry it inside my waistband. I guess I am just looking to see if others on here carry with one chambered.....
The safety is the double action trigger. I seriously doubt you are accidentally going to fire that weapon, if you do you have no business being around any weapon at all. You aren't carrying a glock with a light trigger and no safety or a 1911 cocked and unlocked. It was designed to be slim and easily concealed and safe enough to carry chambered.

I have always and will always carry with one in the chamber BUT when I draw my weapon my finger doesn't instantly go on the trigger. Keep your finger out of the guard until your ready to fire and you'll be fine. IF I ever have to pull my weapon there won't be time to chamber a round, the S has already HTF and I need action.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 10-18-2009, 02:19 PM   #9

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have a word for people that don't carry with a live round in the pipe-that word is victim. Seriously, there's NO way you're going to have a negligent discharge with that long heavy double action only trigger that your choice of firearm features.

Old 10-18-2009, 03:50 PM   #10

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
It's funny, when I posted this same question about a Glock, it ended up garnering about 100 replies. But the bottom line was this advice: You must feel comfortable with the weapon you have, and the condition in which you carry it. Carry it the same way ALL the time. The biggest safety is your consistent handling of the weapon in the same, safe way each time you handle it.

Both of my guns are DAO without a safety and one doesn't even have that "safe" trigger thingy. I feel perfectly safe with one in the chamber. But there are others who have trained very consistently to rack the slide every time they draw.

My Kahr is a little too finicky for the slingshot procedure to load a round, and the Glock feels fine with one in the chamber, so that's how I carry.
+1 Chris, good solid advice!

I don’t carry a gun dumbed down to be safe, I carry one that will be incredibly dangerous when I “SAFELY” remove it from my holster and blow some dirt bag’s heart out!

The fears expressed are of personal self control, not weapon safety, grow up and take responsibility! OR, take that weapon out of your pocket!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Closed Thread