Caffeine
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Caffeine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2012, 10:57 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Default Caffeine

I drink quite a bit of soda with caffeine and was wondering how much it affects mu steadiness when shooting?I can tell that I shake a bit and understand that it's gonna happen but want to know how much I could reduce shaking it if I quit having caffeine?

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-05-2012, 11:00 PM   #2

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

You will benefit far more than your shooting by dropping soda of any type!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
JD1969 Likes This 
Old 10-06-2012, 12:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
You will benefit far more than your shooting by dropping soda of any type!
Agreed but if I were to drop soda would my shaking go down? If so I will give up soda.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:58 AM   #4

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The effect probably varies a lot by individual. I think most shooters are probably affected to some degree by a good dose of caffeine. A stronger dose would probably affect almost any shooter.

I am convinced that I shouldn't be drinking more than one cup of coffee on the morning of a range session, or any time I'm doing anything that matters very much! I can feel my concentration and patience running thin if I drink more than one, and I would guesstimate my groups probably would suffer to the tune of 0.10" to 0.25" immediately after a cup of coffee.

I used to have a high-stress job, and start each day with two or three really tall ones. My friends said I was a lot easier to get along with after I started limiting myself to one.

It may or may not have a material impact on "hunting accuracy" but if you are engaged in shooting for precision I'd bet it would be measurable, and therefore not good! The Eastern Bloc markmanship competitors used to take drugs to slow down their heart rates and metabolism back in the day when the East Germans were improving athletic performance through chemistry. I would think caffeine is just pushing in the wrong direction, for most shooters.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:02 AM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 568 Times on 318 Posts
Likes Given: 2444

Unrelated to shooting.
I can drink a cup of coffee and take a nap.
Am going to try a cup before shooting to see if it helps.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:04 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1816 Times on 994 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I drink caffeine free pop.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:10 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 982 Times on 628 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Coffee makes me jittery if I have more than one cup, but I can drink pop unaffected! I can drink pop up till bedtime and then even wake up take a swig and go back to sleep. I would be prone to think it's different for different individuals.

Isaiah 53:5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:22 AM   #8

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I drink coffee all the time. I like coffee. I feel better when I drink coffee but I shoot better in the afternoon when I haven't had any coffee. Chuck Hawkes mentioned the same effect in one of his articles.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 10-06-2012, 01:25 AM   #9

I should probably drink less soda anyway, and I don't drink coffee so I guess it's to my benefit to stop having caffeine and drink small amounts of non-caffeinated soda. (and less sugar and probably get better cardio)

Old 10-06-2012, 03:10 AM   #10

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

I used to drink 4-6 cans of soda everyday and maybe a coffee or two in the morning. I have recently cut out all soda and limit myself to one cup of coffee in the am. I never had the shakes from either but I can tell that I feel 100 times better, I sleep better, I am in a better mood and my body hurts less. IMO the sugar is FAR worse than anything. As a side benefit I did drop 6 lbs in less than a month with no exercise. I don't really need to lose weight, but I suppose it is something to consider. Give up the sugar man, you will feel lots better.

''I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
J.B. Books