Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Caffeine (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/caffeine-73770/)

Garadex 10-05-2012 10:57 PM

Caffeine

I drink quite a bit of soda with caffeine and was wondering how much it affects mu steadiness when shooting?I can tell that I shake a bit and understand that it's gonna happen but want to know how much I could reduce shaking it if I quit having caffeine?

canebrake 10-05-2012 11:00 PM

You will benefit far more than your shooting by dropping soda of any type!

Garadex 10-06-2012 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 965890)
You will benefit far more than your shooting by dropping soda of any type!

Agreed but if I were to drop soda would my shaking go down? If so I will give up soda.

Khromo 10-06-2012 12:58 AM

The effect probably varies a lot by individual. I think most shooters are probably affected to some degree by a good dose of caffeine. A stronger dose would probably affect almost any shooter.

I am convinced that I shouldn't be drinking more than one cup of coffee on the morning of a range session, or any time I'm doing anything that matters very much! I can feel my concentration and patience running thin if I drink more than one, and I would guesstimate my groups probably would suffer to the tune of 0.10" to 0.25" immediately after a cup of coffee.

I used to have a high-stress job, and start each day with two or three really tall ones. My friends said I was a lot easier to get along with after I started limiting myself to one.

It may or may not have a material impact on "hunting accuracy" but if you are engaged in shooting for precision I'd bet it would be measurable, and therefore not good! The Eastern Bloc markmanship competitors used to take drugs to slow down their heart rates and metabolism back in the day when the East Germans were improving athletic performance through chemistry. I would think caffeine is just pushing in the wrong direction, for most shooters.

shadecorp 10-06-2012 01:02 AM

Unrelated to shooting.
I can drink a cup of coffee and take a nap.
Am going to try a cup before shooting to see if it helps.

Zombiegirl 10-06-2012 01:04 AM

I drink caffeine free pop.

BigB 10-06-2012 01:10 AM

Coffee makes me jittery if I have more than one cup, but I can drink pop unaffected! I can drink pop up till bedtime and then even wake up take a swig and go back to sleep. I would be prone to think it's different for different individuals.

Old_Crow 10-06-2012 01:22 AM

I drink coffee all the time. I like coffee. I feel better when I drink coffee but I shoot better in the afternoon when I haven't had any coffee. Chuck Hawkes mentioned the same effect in one of his articles.

Garadex 10-06-2012 01:25 AM

I should probably drink less soda anyway, and I don't drink coffee so I guess it's to my benefit to stop having caffeine and drink small amounts of non-caffeinated soda. (and less sugar and probably get better cardio)

JD1969 10-06-2012 03:10 AM

I used to drink 4-6 cans of soda everyday and maybe a coffee or two in the morning. I have recently cut out all soda and limit myself to one cup of coffee in the am. I never had the shakes from either but I can tell that I feel 100 times better, I sleep better, I am in a better mood and my body hurts less. IMO the sugar is FAR worse than anything. As a side benefit I did drop 6 lbs in less than a month with no exercise. I don't really need to lose weight, but I suppose it is something to consider. Give up the sugar man, you will feel lots better.