Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Bump Keys - Is Your Home "Easily" Accessible? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/bump-keys-your-home-easily-accessible-10109/)

Dillinger 01-19-2009 05:19 PM

Bump Keys - Is Your Home "Easily" Accessible?

Okay, I don't frequently pass along the litany of crap that hits my inbox from people who forward everything under the sun to me, but this one item actually got me "concerned" enough to do some investigating.

Key Bumping, or using a 999 key, is a process in which someone not authorized to have access to your residence uses a master style cut key ( for instance for Schlage ) and using a hammer "bumps" the tumblers of your deadbolt or other lock into place so the door, or padlock, can be opened. This "new" system of B & E was apparently discovered in 2005 - shows you how out of touch with the criminal element I am. :eek:

I got e-mailed a news story from down in So Cal where apparently this type of crime is on the rise as "Bump Keys" are now available on the internet.

Wondering if this was more hoax than truth, I checked Snopes, referenced above, and it's true. So, I called the local PD and this is what I was told ( paraphrased )

"While we haven't seen a larger than normal ( I almost laughed out loud at that - "normal" as in a status quo of increase ??) increase in home burglaries we have seen more home burglaries that do not show the typical signs of forced entry."

Okay, so do you think that is because Bump Keys & their methods are being used?

"That is a possibility, but we would not go on record as stating that is the root cause"

Okay, so I guess take that for what it's worth.

In any event, I thought I would pass it along merely because it was "alarming" how easy this particular tactic could be used to enter an otherwise secure residence. The guy on the news report used a bump key and the handle of a screw driver to "enter" the locked deadbolt apartment of a willing participant in about 10 seconds.

I had never heard of this before, so I am getting it out there for discussion / food for thought....

JD

ranger_sxt 01-19-2009 06:14 PM

Discussions with a few good locksmith friends of mine tend to say that this is absolute alarmist crap.

Dillinger 01-19-2009 07:24 PM

*shrug* PM me your e-mail and I will send over the news report. Seemed pretty damn easy to me to be honest. If this nitwit news reporter can do it, I am sure someone else can too....

JD

Stuie 01-19-2009 07:33 PM

I have seen these reports for quiet a while. Before we bought our house 2 years ago. Haven't gotten around to getting bump proof locks as the ones that are a bit pricey as I recall.

I will search for but, there is a video where a locksmith told a 10-12 year old how to make it at some security fair and the kid did and opened a lock first attempt.

I don't recall since I catch very rarely. But I believe they used this technique on "It Takes a Thief" on Discovery Channel

c3shooter 01-19-2009 11:49 PM

Some locks more prone to "bumping" or manipulation than others- worn, dry (no lube) and key cuts close to each other in length. Little spurt of dry lube in the cylinder makes them harder to bump. So does a Medco lock!:p No cuts on the edge of key, and you have to work at it to get a blank. A lock that the bolt binds on the latch plate is durn near impossible to bump. Me, I just install 2 deadbolts, leave one unlocked, so if you are trying to enter, you are unlocking one, locking the other. :rolleyes:

Bighead 01-20-2009 06:00 AM

An excellent reason to have a large, loud dog on the other side of the door, and to run an alarm system.

The goal isn't to make your house burglar-proof (likely impossible), just to make your neighbors house an easier target.

Sucks to hear the criminal trash have figured out another way to take advantage of the rest of us.

ranger_sxt 01-20-2009 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 63771)
*shrug* PM me your e-mail and I will send over the news report. Seemed pretty damn easy to me to be honest. If this nitwit news reporter can do it, I am sure someone else can too....

JD

I've seen the reports, and it works in so few commercially available locks in the US that it's not something that you really need to get worked up about.

If it really worries you, get an alarm installed.

Dillinger 01-20-2009 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranger_sxt (Post 63931)

If it really worries you, get an alarm installed.

I got 113lb German Sheppard that thinks anyone from outside his pack is meat & meant to be destroyed - I'm not to worried about what happens IF someone tries to get inside my place when I am not home. I am worried how much of my stuff will get destroyed in the resulting melee. :eek:

JD

cpttango30 01-20-2009 10:58 PM

snopes.com: Bump Keys

cpttango30 01-20-2009 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 63966)
I got 113lb German Sheppard that thinks anyone from outside his pack is meat & meant to be destroyed - I'm not to worried about what happens IF someone tries to get inside my place when I am not home. I am worried how much of my stuff will get destroyed in the resulting melee. :eek:

JD

I got a 22.2# attack dog and 1, 20# cat 1, #17 cat 2, #9 cats. They are a crack team. The dog will lunge at you on cat will trip you wanting belly rubs, the 20# will then come over and unleash his velcoraptor claws on your face for scaring him, then the old cat will come over an breath in your face and cause you to go into convulsions because her mouth smells like a 10 day old dead skunk ass. By that time I am down stairs and shooting you.