Body armor at the range - Page 8
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Body armor at the range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 01:18 AM   #71
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7675 Times on 4170 Posts
Likes Given: 16077

I never understood why bullet-proof vests have plates in the front.

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 08-05-2013, 01:23 AM   #72
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 190 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
I never understood why bullet-proof vests have plates in the front.
What??????????

GOA,NRA
Old Bolt Actions,
One round at a time.

"This is my Mosin,
There are many like it,
And three or so are mine."

Old 08-05-2013, 01:26 AM   #73
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7675 Times on 4170 Posts
Likes Given: 16077

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM2Grunt

What??????????
If I get shot, it will be in the back.

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 08-05-2013, 03:26 AM   #74
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1335 Times on 699 Posts
Likes Given: 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
I don't go anywhere where I think I need to wear body armor.
I don't go anywhere that I think I will need a gun, but I still carry one. I never plan to crash into another driver, but I keep my insurance paid up. Body armor is not for what you think might happen to you, it's for what you NEVER thought could ever happen to you, but does.

As far as wearing body armor, Under Armour, Cool-Max and even Jockey's 3D Physique undershirts wick moisture away from your body, increase air flow and make Kevlar a little easier to live with. Much like carrying a gun, cheap gear makes it more uncomfortable and will make you miserable in the long run. Test some quality shirts that are listed as "cooling" and also check the ones that increase air flow - both will make wearing armor far easier on a regular basis.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Last edited by TekGreg; 08-05-2013 at 09:52 AM.
People Like This 
Old 08-05-2013, 11:24 AM   #75
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 510 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 158

Quote:
Even a well designed range can have ricochets. And yes, they do happen, people are injured every year by them, so I understand wanting to wear a vest. That's all I'm saying. I'm not saying you should wear a vest, I just understand why someone would want too
Its a bit different here you can't just walk into a range and start shooting. The ranges are owned by club and you have to be a member to shoot on the range or invited. The ranges have to have a inspection and certificate that they comply with regulations. The is a range officer for safety so any poor firearms handling or unsafe shooting and the least you would get is a warning worst told not to come back. So you don't have to worry about idiots turning up and shooting unsafely. So if someone wants to wear a vest go for it I don't see it as necessary here. PS You can't take all risks out of life.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:01 PM   #76
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6576 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
Its a bit different here you can't just walk into a range and start shooting. The ranges are owned by club and you have to be a member to shoot on the range or invited.
Mine is membership only too. Though, there is no check in. You just go there, unload your stuff and pick a lane.

Quote:
The ranges have to have a inspection and certificate that they comply with regulations.
Not sure what regulations our ranges have to abide by, but it si designed to be as safe as possible within reason. At the end of the rifle range, there is a 10-15 ft high dirt wall. Beyond that is about a half a mile of thick woods and then a lake. That still won't prevents ricochets 100%. They can and will happen. If a bullet hits something hard just right, and at the right angle, it could end up coming back towards you. It would be foolish to say it can't happen.

Quote:
The is a range officer for safety so any poor firearms handling or unsafe shooting and the least you would get is a warning worst told not to come back.
Ricochets don't have much (if anything) to do with safe firearm handling. The chances of one can be minimized, but never completely reduced.

Quote:
So you don't have to worry about idiots turning up and shooting unsafely.
I wasn't talking about idiots at the range, I was talking about ricochets. Idiots are a little easier to deal with.

Quote:
So if someone wants to wear a vest go for it I don't see it as necessary here.
I don't see the necessity either since the chance of a ricochet hitting you or someone is still really low, and I avoid idiots at the range. But, I do see the reasoning behind wanting one.

Quote:
PS You can't take all risks out of life.
No you can't.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:42 PM   #77
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 510 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 158

There are a lot of regulations to help prevent ricochets if they are not in place the range won't be allowed to operate. But I don't know what the requirements are in America I am sure some ranges are safer than others.

Quote:
Range Safety

In the interest of safety all (rifle and pistol) shooting ranges are formally designated for the permissible muzzle velocities and muzzle energies that may be used, and when in use a trained officer – the Range Conducting Officer (RCO) – must conduct all firing practices to ensure safety procedures are being followed. The following is a summary:

Muzzle Velocities and Muzzle Energies - each range of each type (Indoor, Outdoor, Smallbore, and Fullbore) has a set of designated MV and ME that are safe to use. This covers limits on the muzzle velocities and muzzle energies of the ammunition (due to the danger of ricochets). For Gallery ranges this might be a muzzle velocity of 2150 ft/sec (655m/s) and muzzle energy of 1496 ft-lb’s (2030 Joules). Hence the .17 HMR is normally banned from .22LR ranges even though a smaller calibre, due to its 2550 ft/s (775 m/s) muzzle velocity.

RCO – a Range Conducting Officer is responsible for the safe running of all live firing on the range and must be present during all firing. The only MoD-recognised RCO Courses are those run by the NRA (for Fullbore and Smallbore) and the NSRA (for Smallbore only). Any club which wishes to use MoD ranges of any sort must have at least one qualified RCO present while firing is taking place. All persons present on a range, including spectators and visitors, come under the control of the RCO whose orders must be obeyed at all times.

In addition to the basic rules of safe firearm handling, there are a number of safety rules that are expected of shooter. These rules include: a) ear and possibly eye protection are required of all shooters and spectators on the firing point, b) when anyone wishes to go down range, they must first request permission of the RCO, c) no handling of firearms is permitted when anyone is beyond the firing line, and d) if anyone observes an unsafe situation they are to immediately shout ‘Stop, Stop, Stop’, etc.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:36 AM   #78

Liked 642 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Thanks for the info Tek! I need body armor and I'm trying to educate myself. It's tricky bc most people just want to talk about why it's crazy if you're not LEO or Mil/how paranoid you are/why they wouldn't wear it/etc.

As I posted previously I work in a high risk field. I'll be the one wearing it, so I don't give a sh!t about any reasons other people have for not wearing it. I will be wearing it to make a living and don't want to lose my life when it could've been prevented.

Recently a friend of mine was murdered during a high risk(legal) activity. He was shot twice in the chest and bled out in a busy parking lot, age 29. Body armor prob would've saved his life had he been wearing it. Life is cruel and I would rather be safer than sorry.

I've been looking at IIA and II because of the heat and light weight/lack of clothing in Florida probably won't allow me to conceal IIIA. I generally only hear folks talk about IIIA, III, and IV. Anyone have any exp with IIA or II?

Old 08-31-2013, 04:37 AM   #79

Liked 247 Times on 175 Posts

1911love :
Level IIa is out of fashion. II is in fashion . I don't see the need for Level III because Level II will give you all of the discomfort you could want (LOL ).

Old 08-31-2013, 09:11 PM   #80

Liked 642 Times on 388 Posts

Thanks Rentacop! Do you feel I could conceal Level II in Florida? The last thing I want is people knowing I'm wearing armor.