Body armor at the range - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Body armor at the range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2013, 09:10 PM   #61
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 510 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 157

If I thought I needed a vest at the range I would be finding a new range. A day at the range is supposed to be a pleasurable experience not worrying about someone shooting you. PS Apart form that I would be laughed of the range if I arrived wearing a vest.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:44 PM   #62
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6576 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
If I thought I needed a vest at the range I would be finding a new range. A day at the range is supposed to be a pleasurable experience not worrying about someone shooting you. PS Apart form that I would be laughed of the range if I arrived wearing a vest.
I haven't read this thread, but the body armor is most likely to stop ricochets (a very real threat), not random shooters attacking a gun range.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:56 PM   #63
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
I haven't read this thread, but the body armor is most likely to stop ricochets (a very real threat), not random shooters attacking a gun range.
Where do you draw the line, if I was that concerned I would stay away from the range. Until I read this post wearing a vest at the range is not something I have even thought about. If I was in a war zone then it would be a good idea.

Last edited by manta; 08-04-2013 at 10:27 PM.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:39 PM   #64

Quote:
Where do you draw the line, if I was that concerned I would stay away from the range. Until I read this post wearing a vest at the range is not something I have even thought about. If I was in a war zone then it would be a good idea.
People should do what they need to so that they feel safe. Where do they draw the line? That's up to them. It's no secret that ricochets happen. Even if your the only one shooting, they can happen.

Personally, I don't feel the need to wear a vest, but I don't see any reason to criticize anyone who does feel the need to wear one.

This is a bit of an extreme case (if you get hit by a 50 BMG, body armor won't help you), but it illustrates the point.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:44 PM   #65

Quote:
One thing I'd like to ask you though. Do you wear a seat belt? If so, it probably means you are at least somewhat concerned with safety. If it worries you that much, why even drive? It's safer to just avoid cars all together.

In our lives, there are certain risks we all face. That is something that's generally accepted. Driving a car can be dangerous. A seat belt can make it less dangerous. If you have a wreck, it could save your life.

A bullet proof vest is the same way. Ricochets happen, that's a fact of life. In the rare chance that you are hit by one, a vest could save your life.

Like I said, I wouldn't wear one, but I understand why someone would.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:05 AM   #66
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
A bullet proof vest is the same way. Ricochets happen, that's a fact of life. In the rare chance that you are hit by one, a vest could save your life.
The range that I go to I have never seen or heard of a ricochet coming back to the shooting point so I don't see the need for a vest. If there were regular ricochets then I would avoid that range as it is not constructed properly. As for wearing a seat belt that makes sense one reason it's illegal not to here and tens of thousands of people are killed and injured in cars every year. I doubt many are killed by ricochets at properly run and maintained range, the poster was more concerned about other people and their behaviour at the range.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:30 AM   #67

Quote:
The range that I go to I have never seen or heard of a ricochet coming back to the shooting point so I don't see the need for a vest. If there were regular ricochets then I would avoid that range as it is not constructed properly. As for wearing a seat belt that makes sense one reason it's illegal not to here and tens of thousands of people are killed and injured in cars every year. I doubt many are killed by ricochets at properly run and maintained range, the poster was more concerned about other people and their behaviour at the range.
Just because you haven't seen or heard of them doesn't mean they haven't happened, or won't happen.

Even a well designed range can have ricochets. And yes, they do happen, people are injured every year by them, so I understand wanting to wear a vest. That's all I'm saying. I'm not saying you should wear a vest, I just understand why someone would want too.

BTW, A lot of ranges are nothing more than open fields with dirt barriers at the end. They are not all high tech, or indoors, or anything like that. They are just simple ranges.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:47 AM   #68
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 190 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 293

[QUOTE=KJG67;1170221]$35,000 and live to see another day, or make my wife instantly rich with an errant GSW to my center body mass? I'm not sure which she would choose.

$35,00, are you s***tin me, I think I would rather use than money to increase my gun locker collection, and take my chances. Granted, there may be some ding bats out there, and unsafe ranges, but for the most part, in the remaining ranges, wouldn't it just be a fashion just be a fashion statement? You are better of with a little situational awareness, and in the case of dingbats, threat assessment.

GOA,NRA
Old Bolt Actions,
One round at a time.

"This is my Mosin,
There are many like it,
And three or so are mine."

Last edited by HM2Grunt; 08-05-2013 at 01:06 AM.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:59 AM   #69
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 190 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Talk about hot and sweaty. During the '70s all these things were good for was to carry pints of booze out to the field in. Once, at the airport, the drug dog,(for some reason we were suspect) alerted on the massive amount of pogie bait I had stashed in the pockets.

dscf2247.jpg  

GOA,NRA
Old Bolt Actions,
One round at a time.

"This is my Mosin,
There are many like it,
And three or so are mine."

Old 08-05-2013, 01:13 AM   #70

Liked 1604 Times on 961 Posts
Likes Given: 358

I don't go anywhere where I think I need to wear body armor.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

MisterMcCool Likes This