Body armor at the range - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Body armor at the range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2013, 06:27 AM   #51
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1235 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 532

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHunter View Post
I'm an OEF veteran so I am familiar with the IOTV(Improved Outer Tactical Vest). I'm looking for something similar and close to the same amount of protection after recently had to draw down on some dumbass at the range for sending a round past my wifes head because of a negligent discharge. Some advice would be much appreciated.
There's a company in Austin, better known as bulletproofme.com, that sells the exact IOTV vest that you wore in the military as well as a NIJ III-A variant designed to stop handgun bullets IAW NIJ specifications for level III-A armor vs high velocity metal fragments that the military IOTV was designed to stop. They also sell NIJ III and NIJ IV, steel, ceramic, and polyethylene plates that stop rifle bullets. If you need a helmet they sell those, too.

I prefer the concealable III-A full wrap vests to tactical vests and don't use rifle plates. There are concealable vests specifically made for women.

If I were you, I would have had that turd prosecuted.

I hope your wife is ok.

Unfortunately, now that everyone and their dog has a gun thanks to Obama and team, there's a lot of people with firearms that probably should never have been allowed to drive a car.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:40 AM   #52

Liked 70 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 49

my wife is fine a little shaken up but ok. tried pressing charges but was told by the cops that there was nothing they could do. I'm sure he will be a little more careful after getting thrown to the ground and my .270 shoved in his face.

Old 04-20-2013, 01:55 PM   #53
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1427 Times on 722 Posts
Likes Given: 1040

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911love View Post
7.62, what would you recommend for a concealable rig? I'm in FL so I've been looking at IIA, but I'm still confused.

I wouldn't go too high-end for range work. IIA with side protection should be fine. As a general rule IIA or IIIA for pistol rounds, IV if you're worried about rifle bullets.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:18 AM   #54

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Unless you spend occupational levels of time on a firing range, wearing body armor seems a little over the top. If you feel like you need to "gear-up" to go to local range, you can...but I will roll my eyes.
I would wear a nascar helmet for my drive to work before I would wear bodyarmor at the range.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:31 PM   #55

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Ive personally never had any bad experiences at the range , but in the way this world is ive bought a vest and have been wearing it , im not a leo but with my job i go into some lousy neighborhoods and have been in some even worse homes and many times at night for me it just gives me just a little comfort in knowing i stand a better chance going home every night , and in the wake of school shooting and such ive even bought my daughter a back pack from bullet proof back packs , she is ok with taking it with her to school and the movies but argues every where else but i can live with

Old 08-03-2013, 02:34 AM   #56

Liked 644 Times on 389 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Dave, what level did you get and is it hard to conceal? Any tips concerning purchasing and concealing? Thanks.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:48 PM   #57

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I bought a level IIIA with a stab resistance level II from bullet proof me , i called and talked to them and they help me decide one what was best for me , i usually work nights and in some bad parts of the city and was more concerned with stabbings than shootings as for concealing i usually just wear my shirts one size bigger and have never had a problem

Old 08-04-2013, 02:58 PM   #58

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Sorry i cut that short , had to help my daughter , were off for boston again today , anyhow as i was saying a normal shirt size would be a large for me but i buy xl and they seem to cover my vest and my handgun really well , so far ive not had any issues with anyone noticing me carrying even at work , like the others that have said i cut the shirt tails off as they were uncomfortable to me , the people at bullet proof me were awesome in helping me decide what was best for me , give them a call and talk to them also ill try to upload a pic later to show if it looks like i have my vest and gun on or not

Old 08-04-2013, 05:04 PM   #59

I don't think you would want to wear body armor at the range where I shoot. It can (and usually does) get very hot here in central Florida. I think you would be more likely to die from heat stroke or dehydration than an errant bullet if wearing body armor.
ct

Old 08-04-2013, 08:50 PM   #60

Liked 644 Times on 389 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Thanks Dave! I would be interested in seeing that pic. I work in a high risk field and don't want to die trying to feed myself and pay bills. I'm in Florida so the heat and concealment will be a challenge. I've been trying to get as much info as possible before buying. I don't feel I have enough knowledge yet to make a purchas e, but I'm getting close.

Dave, what does a Bullet Proof Me vest run? Did they fit it over the phone?