Body armor at the range - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Body armor at the range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 04:14 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 638 Times on 385 Posts
Likes Given: 12

You're right about helping. A lot of my friends would call me crazy if I brought up the subject. The exceptions being veterans I'm close to, they understand, but don't have a lot of exp wearing "stateside armor".

As a side note, I was checking out some armor at a recent gun show. The man selling it said he contracted for Black Water. I asked him if he was still with Academi and he looked puzzled and said who is that? What a complete liar and pretender. I couldn't believe he was saying stuff that wasn't true to try and con me into taking his word and buying the armor.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:57 AM   #42

Liked 49 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911love View Post
You're right about helping. A lot of my friends would call me crazy if I brought up the subject. The exceptions being veterans I'm close to, they understand, but don't have a lot of exp wearing "stateside armor".

As a side note, I was checking out some armor at a recent gun show. The man selling it said he contracted for Black Water. I asked him if he was still with Academi and he looked puzzled and said who is that? What a complete liar and pretender. I couldn't believe he was saying stuff that wasn't true to try and con me into taking his word and buying the armor.
Yeah you will find morons like that out there, all they are trying to do is make a buck off of whatever sucker will listen to their lies

Old 04-19-2013, 08:57 AM   #43

Liked 70 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I'm an OEF veteran so I am familiar with the IOTV(Improved Outer Tactical Vest). I'm looking for something similar and close to the same amount of protection after recently had to draw down on some dumbass at the range for sending a round past my wifes head because of a negligent discharge. Some advice would be much appreciated.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:18 AM   #44
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1357 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 1011

At a handgun combat range about 20 years ago I got burned by a wadcutter ricochet under the arm. I've been hurt enough in my life by flying objects. Nothing stupid about protecting yourself...here at my own range I wear a plate carrier & plate. If I used a public range I'd probably wear a concealable rig.

Stay smart, stay motivated, stay dangerous

Old 04-19-2013, 10:59 PM   #45

Liked 638 Times on 385 Posts
Likes Given: 12

7.62, what would you recommend for a concealable rig? I'm in FL so I've been looking at IIA, but I'm still confused.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:17 PM   #46
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 411 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Quote:
I've just sat back and watched to make sure they weren't being reckless, but I've seen plenty of people that while always pointing the barrel down-range, certainly appear a bit nervous. I'm by no means a seasoned expert, but know enough to help others out when I can or at least point them out the SO. And of course there's a thread here with some crazy and tragic range stories.
If someone here acted unsafely at the range they would be told not to come back.

Old 04-20-2013, 01:47 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHunter View Post
I'm an OEF veteran so I am familiar with the IOTV(Improved Outer Tactical Vest). I'm looking for something similar and close to the same amount of protection after recently had to draw down on some dumbass at the range for sending a round past my wifes head because of a negligent discharge. Some advice would be much appreciated.
Just read your post brother, I can get you hooked up with a good setup like you are wanting, unfortunately I just had spine reconstruction surgery and have taken my meds for the night. I will try to get with you tomorrow and get you some options and info on how to get a setup like you are wanting.

Old 04-20-2013, 01:49 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911love View Post
7.62, what would you recommend for a concealable rig? I'm in FL so I've been looking at IIA, but I'm still confused.
I see you still are a little unsure yet 1911? What are your concerns still about what all info we have gotten you? This is a tough decision so I understand, if you still have some questions go ahead and shoot.

Old 04-20-2013, 01:56 AM   #49

Liked 70 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by customammo72 View Post
Just read your post brother, I can get you hooked up with a good setup like you are wanting, unfortunately I just had spine reconstruction surgery and have taken my meds for the night. I will try to get with you tomorrow and get you some options and info on how to get a setup like you are wanting.
Alright thanks

Old 04-20-2013, 03:44 AM   #50
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2733 Times on 1431 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Robo...

I've been looking at some level II LEO used and over run vests at bulletproofme.com

I understand these have a 5 year warranty period but this site has video of 11 year old vests stoping everything they were designed to stop... And they seem to Run about half the cost of new.

The only armor I've ever worn was the old woodland camo flak vests that were standard issue back in my grunt days and would appreciate your insight...

If it was your money...
Would you be concerned about a vest that was older than 5 years...
Tuckable flaps? Do these prevent the best from riding up while seated...
Side protection... Sure, it's more protection but is it so uncomfortable that you'd rather not wear it at all...

I'd imaging you've gon through several of these over the years so please enlighten me. With 3 of 4 kids "yet to raise" I'd like to make sure that any range mishaps result in cracked or broken ribs rather than a through and through from some newbs FMJ target load..

Thanks

Tack
We tested some old Level IIA armor a few years back. These had been used for a year in drown proofing training. They had been soaked in a swimming pool numerous times and air dried after. They were 14 years old. They all stopped better than they were rated for. Even stopped my .41 Mag 170gr JHC @ 1600 fps!

The old PASGT vests stop pretty well too. The only thing we were able to shoot through them was .357 Sig FMJ's

Any armor is better than no armor. I would stay away from the "gold" armor or anything with Zylon. That stuff is crap. Not thermally stable. LGet it over about 120 degrees and it breaks down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10 View Post
Mandatory as an employee of the range, or mandatory to use the range?
Everyone on the range. Shooting, officiating or observing.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball