Body armor at the range - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Body armor at the range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 04:58 PM   #11
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2771 Times on 1605 Posts
Likes Given: 1209

Seeing where you come from, I wonder why you haven't bought on already.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 02-03-2013, 05:07 PM   #12

Liked 20 Times on 14 Posts

I'd seriously consider finding a new range rather than feeling I needed a vest at the range. The range officers are pretty adept at getting rid of idiots at the range I go to. You get one chance to correct what you're doing wrong than you're out of there and they're really good at figuring out new shooters and giving them rules and pointers before letting them on the range

Old 02-03-2013, 05:28 PM   #13

Liked 4703 Times on 2275 Posts
Likes Given: 1437

I just posted a new thread...Body Armor Suggestion...looking for advice for folks who've worn this stuff extensively.

As an RSO for my range and given the number of new pistol owners out there, I am going to get myself one.

Looking for something concealable so I don't look like a Mall Ninja, that will stop all major pistol calibers at close range.

Suggestions welcome.

Tack

Old 02-03-2013, 06:39 PM   #14
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Seeing where you come from, I wonder why you haven't bought on already.
LOL! I'm in the 'burbs and relatively safe and quiet here and most of the places I travel to in the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusUserPT92 View Post
I'd seriously consider finding a new range rather than feeling I needed a vest at the range. The range officers are pretty adept at getting rid of idiots at the range I go to. You get one chance to correct what you're doing wrong than you're out of there and they're really good at figuring out new shooters and giving them rules and pointers before letting them on the range
The main range I go to I don't have concerns about at all, other than just someone cracking. If I want to rent with more variety or need to pick up ammo, the other two (one particularly near the city) there's a more varied crowd. I was picking up ammo at one on a Saturday and an old-timer asked if I was shooting today. I said no. He replied "I don't shoot here on the weekend either. Too much riff raff."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
I just posted a new thread...Body Armor Suggestion...looking for advice for folks who've worn this stuff extensively.

As an RSO for my range and given the number of new pistol owners out there, I am going to get myself one.

Looking for something concealable so I don't look like a Mall Ninja, that will stop all major pistol calibers at close range.

Suggestions welcome.

Tack
Cool! Glad I'm not the only one concerned, but you're in the line of fire way more than I am. It only takes once.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:20 AM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2691 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

I spent over 10 years as a range officer/master. Body armor is mandatory on our range. My armor has stopped 12 bullets that bounced back from defective steel targets and various range debris.

I also ALWAYS carried my pistol. When asked, I explained that I was there to insure the safety of EVERYONE. If someone decided to get stupid, I was there to put them down.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 02-05-2013, 04:35 AM   #16
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 914 Times on 603 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
I spent over 10 years as a range officer/master. Body armor is mandatory on our range. My armor has stopped 12 bullets that bounced back from defective steel targets and various range debris.

I also ALWAYS carried my pistol. When asked, I explained that I was there to insure the safety of EVERYONE. If someone decided to get stupid, I was there to put them down.
Mandatory as an employee of the range, or mandatory to use the range?

Old 02-06-2013, 09:14 PM   #17

Liked 85 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

About a month and a half ago went to the range with the wife to work on her stance. standing at the last stall to the left i glanced right only to notice a younger man pointing a bolt action rifle at us. Not only was it pointed at us but he was racking the bolt. I grabed the wife and threw her to the ground. I started yelling cease fire. And once the ro noticed what was going on he started yelling at the kid. Bad idea the kid dropped the rifle while it was still pointed at us. Thank god the bolt sident close all the way. Ever sice then i wear my class lla plate carrier and my trama plates.

you pew pew pew lately bro!?

Old 02-06-2013, 09:50 PM   #18

Liked 4703 Times on 2275 Posts
Likes Given: 1437

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post

Robo...

I've been looking at some level II LEO used and over run vests at bulletproofme.com

I understand these have a 5 year warranty period but this site has video of 11 year old vests stoping everything they were designed to stop... And they seem to Run about half the cost of new.

The only armor I've ever worn was the old woodland camo flak vests that were standard issue back in my grunt days and would appreciate your insight...

If it was your money...
Would you be concerned about a vest that was older than 5 years...
Tuckable flaps? Do these prevent the best from riding up while seated...
Side protection... Sure, it's more protection but is it so uncomfortable that you'd rather not wear it at all...

I'd imaging you've gon through several of these over the years so please enlighten me. With 3 of 4 kids "yet to raise" I'd like to make sure that any range mishaps result in cracked or broken ribs rather than a through and through from some newbs FMJ target load..

Thanks

Tack

Old 02-06-2013, 10:45 PM   #19

Liked 157 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 43

This thread makes me realize how lucky I am to have 28 acres to shoot at for free.Here's a pic of my buddy shooting on my little range,I can get back about 100 yards and still have the hill backstop.

556_0001.jpg  

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

People Like This 
Old 02-06-2013, 10:53 PM   #20

Liked 62 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 71

I wear gator hawk vest while on duty. Worn under a shirt you cant really tell its there. It is fitted to me of course. It will stop handgun rounds and has a center mass trama insert. Tuckable flaps are a joke. I cut mine off of every vest I have owned. The important thing is to find one that fits well and is comfortable so you actually wear it. Make sure the panels overlap on the side. 5 years is our experation time we replace after that. Don't buy armor that has crease lines in it as these will be weak points where bullets can penetrate.