Body armor / Bulletproof vests
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Body armor / Bulletproof vests

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2009, 12:23 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Body armor / Bulletproof vests

Is it legal for a civilian to buy any type of body armor? I am just wondering where you can get it and if it costs alot. I am guessing that in my anti-gun state of Wisconsin, it is probably illegal to have body armor unless you're a cop or something.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-16-2009, 02:12 PM   #2

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogger129 View Post
Is it legal for a civilian to buy any type of body armor? I am just wondering where you can get it and if it costs alot. I am guessing that in my anti-gun state of Wisconsin, it is probably illegal to have body armor unless you're a cop or something.
CRIMINAL STATUTES

The State statutes creating criminal offenses that prohibit the wearing, use, or possession of body armor can be divided into two broad categories: 1) Statutes creating substantive offenses and 2) statutes enhancing sentencing. Most of the statutes fall into the first category; that is, these statutes create separate criminal offenses for which defendants can be charged, convicted, and sentenced. However, two States (California and Wisconsin) opted not to create separate substantive offenses, but rather, adopted enhancing statutes that impose an additional sentence when an individual is convicted of committing a crime while wearing body armor.

BulletProofME.com Body Armor / Bullet proof Vests

Now, don't get an eye poked out messing around. Google search can be your friend.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 09-17-2009, 12:41 AM   #3

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogger129 View Post
I'd have to ask why? If you're a cop it's issued. If you're a soldier, it's issued. These are really the only two reasons I can think of for needing body armor. A civilian wandering around in body armor seems odd to me...

Old 09-17-2009, 12:45 AM   #4

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Name:  google.gif
Views: 1071
Size:  2.1 KB IT!

Maybe you should get a gun first!

Then decide if you need a chicken vest!

I'm just sayin'.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-17-2009, 01:00 AM   #5

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Click >>>>>>>here<<<<<<< to get the best deals on body armor.

Click >>>>>>here<<<<<< to see why you need body armor.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:18 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You would be better off spending that money on a good weapon and proper training on how to use it.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 09-26-2009, 11:56 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You can find body armor over on Gunbroker.com. The brands may not be names that you know and trust, so more than ever, Buyer Beware.

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:47 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Why does everyone insist on calling bullet resistant vests bullet proof?

Layton

Old 09-27-2009, 11:38 AM   #9

Why would a civilian want a bulletproof vest?

Because its our right, just like buying guns is our right.
bulletproof vests are especially wanted by people who would like to open carry.
Its like the civilian full auto thing. Its our right. No, you dont need to have a reason.
I love military stuff, if I could go out n buy fully auto guns, bulletproof vests, grenades and ect, I would. I dont have a reason but I would simply because its awesome.
Its freedom at its finest. Gun control laws aren't about guns, its about control.
Why cant you buy something that helps protect you?
because you become a threat and the government cant handle that.

Freedom isnt free, you have to earn it and then you have to sacrifice.

Layton, its just easier that way.

Old 09-27-2009, 12:12 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9571 Times on 4118 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Well. two weeks ago, I spent a few days with some "civilians" that wear body armor. They work for the company that is clearing unexploded ordnance from a former military range. They are all employees of a private contractor that was hired by the US Govt to do the "remediation" work. A "Blast and Frag" suit looks like it was inspired by Darth Vader.

But for something not so exotic, try working the night shift at a mini-mart- then see how you feel about the Second Chance vest. Or drive a cab, deliver pizza, or make bank deposits. Right now, the 2nd leading cause of death in the US workplace is homicide.

BTW, when the US Dept of Energy was winding down operations at the Rocky Flats Nuclear Weapons Manufacturing facility in Golden CO, the security of 13 TONS of weapons grade plutonium was provided by CIVILIAN employees of a private security firm.

Laws DO vary significantly from state to state- spend some time learning YOUR laws. And Layton is right- many things may be bullet resistant- NOTHING is bullet "proof".

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.