Blow out kit - looking for ideas

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Blow out kit - looking for ideas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2011, 02:48 PM   #1
bkt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Default Blow out kit - looking for ideas

I'm putting together a simple blow out kit - small Maxpedition bag - and this is what has been recommended. I'd welcome suggestions on must-have items or alternatives to the stuff listed below.

Celox CELOX hemoststic, 35g
IBD / IEB Israeli bandage, 6", sliding
Tourniquet SOF tac touriquet, wide
Nasal tube Nasopharyngeal airway
Chest seal HALO seals, 2 pack
Catheter 3.25", 14ga decomp needle
Shears EMT shears, 5.5"
Gloves Nitrile gloves, OD, long
Antibiotics Ciprofloxacin, Metronidazole
BT patch Blood type patch

Extra space might be taken up by conventional first-aid type stuff - band-aids, neosporin, pain killers, mole skin, etc.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-05-2011, 04:04 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I know this is going to sound odd but tampons, they are good for plugging up holes in guys as well. (Yes I know none of this really sounds right) my cousin told me that while he was serving in Iraq that a lot of medics carried them for plugging holes. It's really like a quick bandage just stick press the plunger and boom.

"ever man out here has a timer, no one know how long it will take but no one last forever"
Sargent Miller

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."

Old 06-05-2011, 06:27 PM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I've talked to several guys who've used tampons as well in the sand box.

A Paramedic friend of mine gave me an old BP cuff that still blows up and holds pressure, but is no longer reliable for accurate reading...he advised using it instead of a tourniquet as it would slow down enough blood to keep you from bleeding out, but not enough to cause you to loose a limb. You can probably get one free if you know anyone in the medical field, emergency or otherwise.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:38 AM   #4

Liked 380 Times on 252 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo45 View Post
I've talked to several guys who've used tampons as well in the sand box.

A Paramedic friend of mine gave me an old BP cuff that still blows up and holds pressure, but is no longer reliable for accurate reading...he advised using it instead of a tourniquet as it would slow down enough blood to keep you from bleeding out, but not enough to cause you to loose a limb. You can probably get one free if you know anyone in the medical field, emergency or otherwise.
+1 on this, Having just finished my EMT course this last semester. just some notes though:
- Don't forget to still apply SERIOUS direct pressure to the wound on top of the "tourniquet"
-Never remove a used dressing from a wound, if it's still bleeding, put more crap over it.
-If it does stop bleeding with the BP cuff, you can SLOWLY lower the pressure on the cuff about 10 PSI every 5 minutes. If you're half hour or less away from the hospital, don't EVER risk trying to lower it. If you're 1+ hours away, You might consider it if you want to try and save the limb. But that's entirely your call. I'd rather lose the limb than die from bleeding out.

EDIT: There's a few reasons why you HAVE to lower it slowly. Firstly, If you immediately release that pressure, You are almost guaranteed to put that person into Hypovalemic or Cardiogenic shock because of the sudden change in Blood pressure. Secondly, the increase in pressure can break through the clotted platelets and put you back at square one with stopping the bleeding. Which at this point, would probably kill the person. So long story short, Keep the Cuff on and get them to a friggin hospital ASAP!!

"You know what happens to men who go looking for blood? They find it." - Kind Old Man

Last edited by TheSadPanda; 06-06-2011 at 04:46 AM.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:57 AM   #5

The tri-fold ready packed suturing kit, needle holder, scapel, blades and needles, and such, also hemostats is a good thing to have along at all times.
Reading this, I'm now BT/ before tampons
We only had flat Kotex and used them in the long war forty plus years ago.
Used them to wrap my IV bottles, which were GLASS and when I needed to use the IV's, pulled off the Kotex wraps and used them to dress wounds.
Old medics never die, we just move to Arizona and dry out slowly.
Still hate the rain

You may find me dead in a ditch one day, but I will be up to my waist in spent rifle brass!