Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Biometric Handgun Safe (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/biometric-handgun-safe-13056/)

Back40Bob 04-19-2009 11:11 PM

Biometric Handgun Safe

Looking for a small safe/vault to store handgun in. Biometrics for quick access. Any suggestions?

skullcrusher 04-20-2009 12:26 AM

Cabela's and other places sell a unit that can store many fingerprints for quick access. I believe it comes in a couple of sizes.

dnthmn2004 04-20-2009 12:26 AM

Don't? I don't think they have all the bugs worked out perfect yet. Most of the ones I looked at had very bad reviews about them not working. A biometric safe is something I wouldn't even consider buying. Better off getting something that is reliable when it counts, kind of like your personal protection firearm.

skullcrusher 04-20-2009 12:41 AM

I would not own one, I just told him where he can find one. I don't want to trade safety for electronic reliability. I would not own a key pad entry one either, for first defense response weapon.

Spanz 04-20-2009 10:43 AM

I am not familiar enough with them to comment one way or the other.

If I were to get one, I would make sure there was some other mechanical way to open it up in case of failure, like a backup key or purely mechanical spin lock.

dnthmn2004 04-20-2009 11:24 AM

They have back up keys. The point is, why spend an extra $200 on a feature that will not work in an emergency.

Mark F 04-20-2009 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back40Bob (Post 96603)
Looking for a small safe/vault to store handgun in. Biometrics for quick access. Any suggestions?

Yeah, Don't bother....

montveil 04-20-2009 03:03 PM

I have a Gun Safe that has finger pads that you program.
It has an internal light and key function.
I chose it so more than one person can remember the 4 entry sequence.
I also wanted something that can be opened in the dark by feel and the internal light gives me quick access to both the gun and magazines.
I keep my 45 loaded with one in the chamber, hammer down, so all anyone has to do is cock the hammer and pull the trigger. Eliminates the issue of loading magazines, racking the slide etc. It is almost as simple as a revolver.
I keep mine behind some hanging clothes, fastened to the wall and out of sight. I just reach past the clothes and push the keys to access the 45.
My instructor in my concealed carry class recommended that the firearm be located at least 3 paces from the bed so that when arising from a sound sleep you get blood flowing and brain function operating for situation evaluation before taking action. It also helps prevent shooting your bed partner in bed.

Just some thoughts that work for me

Cnynrat 04-20-2009 05:00 PM

You might want to look at the Titan gun vault. It's not biometric, but it is quick access.

Titan Gun Vault

We have two of these.

kdog 04-20-2009 05:27 PM

Keep away from the biometric crap.

The german government is trying, by law, to get legal gun owners to buy a coded dildo into the gun barrel.
The magic word is armatix
But not only that, they want these to be based on biometric access.

Fact is, that the Chaos Computer Club (CCC) had proven how unsecure fingerprints are and how easily they can be faked.
It isn`t very hard.

Biometric systems might be halfway secure in industrial, government or military area, where the scanners are of much higher quality. But in the private sector, they are crap and not worth the money.

You are much better off taking a gun safe whith pin code access using at least six digits or more or someting like the titan vault.