Best Practices for Home Defense Handgun Storage

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Best Practices for Home Defense Handgun Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2009, 07:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Best Practices for Home Defense Handgun Storage

What are the "best practices" for storing a handgun in the home where it can be accessed quickly if needed? Is it wise to have a loaded magazine stored near the firearm so it can be loaded and ready quickly? The gun locks I have seen are not conducive to "quick release", and when in a stressful situation like a home invasion, I could see where the additional time to get your firearm ready may prevent you from protecting yourself.

Also, in a multi-story dwelling, is it better to store the firearm downstairs where it can be obtained quickly in case of "trouble at the door", or upstairs where its closer during the nighttime hours? I'm curious to know where and how members are staying safely prepared.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-03-2009, 08:38 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I keep my magazines in my handguns(without one in the chamber), and I have a gun in almost every room.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:11 PM   #3
Jay

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts

My 1911 is always on my hip in condition one.

A personal protection firearm should always be loaded..... period. If you can't access it instantly, you may not be able to protect yourself with it.

NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 07-03-2009, 09:26 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I keep my pistol with a loaded mag in it, in a drawer beside my bed. I don't use the lock; there are no children in my home. The Mossy sits beside the bed, with a few in the ammo tube. I do not keep a magazine in the SKS, nor do i really consider it a weapon of quick reaction.

I think the "right" answer differs depending on your house & household; do you have small children who might be tempted to play with your pistols?

Old 07-03-2009, 10:46 PM   #5

No small children. A teeenage daughter that has had training and enjoys shooting, so I'm not concerned about her misusing it.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:01 PM   #6

Liked 2058 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

I ware my .45 auto and my boots to bed where they are with in easy reach

Old 07-03-2009, 11:15 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Loaded mag without one in the pipe, stored on a shelf where the kids can't reach it. It's 2 steps from my bed and takes me no time to get to it.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:53 AM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I have no small or unresponsible children in the house. I have no idea where my father has the handgun, but I have my 870 with ammo next to it ready to go should something happen.

"I only regret I have but one life to lose for my country" Nathan Hale

Amendment 2 - Right to Bear Arms. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Old 07-04-2009, 05:50 AM   #9

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i leave the key in the lock in my gun locker while i'm home,and my car/house keys are on the same keychain so i can't leave without locking it.the locker is in my bedroom,where i spend most of my time at home,10' from my bed.the glock sits on the to shelf of the locker with a loaded mag sitting next to it.the benelli,sks,10/22 are standing in it unloaded but i have five #4 shells sittin loose on the shelf.

Last edited by subie-jeep; 07-04-2009 at 05:52 AM.

Old 07-04-2009, 04:38 PM   #10

Thanks for all the sage advice. It appears to me, that the key is "Keep it close, keep it ready". Any delays could be detrimental to your safety and well being.

Tags
best practice, handgun, safety, storage