Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Best Practices for Home Defense Handgun Storage (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/best-practices-home-defense-handgun-storage-15392/)

lurkusmaximus 07-03-2009 06:37 PM

Best Practices for Home Defense Handgun Storage

What are the "best practices" for storing a handgun in the home where it can be accessed quickly if needed? Is it wise to have a loaded magazine stored near the firearm so it can be loaded and ready quickly? The gun locks I have seen are not conducive to "quick release", and when in a stressful situation like a home invasion, I could see where the additional time to get your firearm ready may prevent you from protecting yourself.

Also, in a multi-story dwelling, is it better to store the firearm downstairs where it can be obtained quickly in case of "trouble at the door", or upstairs where its closer during the nighttime hours? I'm curious to know where and how members are staying safely prepared.

suprdave 07-03-2009 07:38 PM

I keep my magazines in my handguns(without one in the chamber), and I have a gun in almost every room.

Jay 07-03-2009 08:11 PM

My 1911 is always on my hip in condition one.

A personal protection firearm should always be loaded..... period. If you can't access it instantly, you may not be able to protect yourself with it.

orangello 07-03-2009 08:26 PM

I keep my pistol with a loaded mag in it, in a drawer beside my bed. I don't use the lock; there are no children in my home. The Mossy sits beside the bed, with a few in the ammo tube. I do not keep a magazine in the SKS, nor do i really consider it a weapon of quick reaction.

I think the "right" answer differs depending on your house & household; do you have small children who might be tempted to play with your pistols?

lurkusmaximus 07-03-2009 09:46 PM

No small children. A teeenage daughter that has had training and enjoys shooting, so I'm not concerned about her misusing it.

opaww 07-03-2009 10:01 PM

I ware my .45 auto and my boots to bed where they are with in easy reach

matt g 07-03-2009 10:15 PM

Loaded mag without one in the pipe, stored on a shelf where the kids can't reach it. It's 2 steps from my bed and takes me no time to get to it.

easterner123 07-03-2009 11:53 PM

I have no small or unresponsible children in the house. I have no idea where my father has the handgun, but I have my 870 with ammo next to it ready to go should something happen.

subie-jeep 07-04-2009 04:50 AM

i leave the key in the lock in my gun locker while i'm home,and my car/house keys are on the same keychain so i can't leave without locking it.the locker is in my bedroom,where i spend most of my time at home,10' from my bed.the glock sits on the to shelf of the locker with a loaded mag sitting next to it.the benelli,sks,10/22 are standing in it unloaded but i have five #4 shells sittin loose on the shelf.

lurkusmaximus 07-04-2009 03:38 PM

Thanks for all the sage advice. It appears to me, that the key is "Keep it close, keep it ready". Any delays could be detrimental to your safety and well being.