Best fiction author reference?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Best fiction author reference?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2011, 07:30 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Best fiction author reference?

I would like to incorporate weaponry into my fiction writing, but I know next to nothing about guns. What book/DVD/website would provide me with the knowledge I need to write action sequences?

Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-04-2011, 12:43 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1177 Times on 767 Posts
Likes Given: 710

tom clancy is a wonderful weapon/action scene writer. especially his books clear and present danger, rainbow six, a few others. however if you seek to learn there are also books like the encyclopedie of guns. it has a lot of weapons historys, and attributes. however there is so much information on this subject and having hands on exprience shooting is a great way to learn. ask a friend if you can tag along to a range sometime. good luck.

Old 09-04-2011, 01:34 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9567 Times on 4116 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Rather than attempting to develop an encyclopedic knowledge of ALL firearms (How long does that take? Don't know- I'm at 60+ years and still learning) might I suggest that you identify WHICH firearms might be involved in a story line, and study the daylights out of those?

Wordsmiths chop a HUGE hole in their literary boat when they lose their technical accuracy.
Example- the antebellum novel- "The heady scent of the dogwood blossoms wafted forth on the cool night air..."- but dogwoods HAVE no scent.

Example- "The shooter calmly placed a fresh clip in his Colt revolver."- but there is a difference between a clip and a magazine, and revolvers do not use either one.

In the meantime, we don't mind questions here. Scorn, ridicule and derision are normally reserved for really dumb OPINIONS and poseurs. We may also refer you to some information sources for further edification.

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of--but do it in private and wash your hands afterwards. Robert Heinlein, Notebooks of Lazarus Long

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 09-04-2011, 01:54 PM   #4

i agree with c3. just make sure you get the tecnical down. i hate reading how a guy opens up with a full auto AK but the hero covers behind a car door just in time. damn you hollywood

If Sam Colt made men equal, then John Moses Browning made some men better than others.

Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun whose caliber does not start with a "4."

Old 09-04-2011, 04:15 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcprofessional View Post
i agree with c3. just make sure you get the tecnical down. i hate reading how a guy opens up with a full auto AK but the hero covers behind a car door just in time. damn you hollywood
very true... as i finished reading that it something clicked. they are fictional stories right? so why cant a door stop a bullet. hahahahaha

Old 09-04-2011, 05:02 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9567 Times on 4116 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

J- there is a difference between fiction and fantasy.

For a door that stops center fre rifle bullets, would suggest the door of the vault at the local bank.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 09-04-2011, 05:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1 View Post
very true... as i finished reading that it something clicked. they are fictional stories right? so why cant a door stop a bullet. hahahahaha
because i dont need a door, i got the force fool! what!

If Sam Colt made men equal, then John Moses Browning made some men better than others.

Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun whose caliber does not start with a "4."

Old 09-04-2011, 05:22 PM   #8

Knowing the weapon being used is the best suggestion and what the Ammo can do. Just look at different guns that are for sale on different sites and what you think look good use it and a writers biggest mistake is not knowing what it even looks like it happens more time that you can imagine.

LoneWolf-Mark Carpenterhttp://www.lonewolfsageco.com
Southeastern Oklahoma Friends of the NRA

Old 09-04-2011, 06:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlehorn View Post
I would like to incorporate weaponry into my fiction writing, but I know next to nothing about guns. What book/DVD/website would provide me with the knowledge I need to write action sequences?
Thanks
Instead of consulting other works - fiction or non-fiction - it's best to just consult with a "technical advisor" to get your realism down.

I was recently a technical advisor for a movie regarding medical realism and firearms realism. I helped the props guys and the set dressers set up the actors to make the scenes believable.

It's important to make sure your weapons and capabilities "fit". I don't know a single police officer who carries a Hi-Point on duty (although I've come across a few security guards...), and I don't know a single police officer who carries a Desert Eagle .50 cal on duty... although I once met a paramedic who carries one as his daily concealed carry.

I know by first-hand experience that the door on a 1980 Dodge pickup *WILL* stop a .38spl fired at 22 meters away. I also know by first-hand experience that a 7.62x39 will completely penetrate a mobile home... through both exterior walls, two interior walls, and a couch. Based on that experience, I'm pretty sure it'll go through the door on that Dodge pickup.

-=Jerry A. Goodson=-

Tri-State Tactical
1010 N. Louise St.
Atlanta, Texas 75551
430-342-3376

http://www.3tactical.com

Old 09-04-2011, 10:04 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
Instead of consulting other works - fiction or non-fiction - it's best to just consult with a "technical advisor" to get your realism down.

I was recently a technical advisor for a movie regarding medical realism and firearms realism. I helped the props guys and the set dressers set up the actors to make the scenes believable.

It's important to make sure your weapons and capabilities "fit". I don't know a single police officer who carries a Hi-Point on duty (although I've come across a few security guards...), and I don't know a single police officer who carries a Desert Eagle .50 cal on duty... although I once met a paramedic who carries one as his daily concealed carry.

I know by first-hand experience that the door on a 1980 Dodge pickup *WILL* stop a .38spl fired at 22 meters away. I also know by first-hand experience that a 7.62x39 will completely penetrate a mobile home... through both exterior walls, two interior walls, and a couch. Based on that experience, I'm pretty sure it'll go through the door on that Dodge pickup.
where were you for the movie sniper... he made a headshot on a counter sniper from 700 to 1000yrds with a pistol while being shot at. you mean it was fake? lol