Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Best fiction author reference? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/best-fiction-author-reference-47752/)

littlehorn 09-04-2011 06:30 AM

Best fiction author reference?

I would like to incorporate weaponry into my fiction writing, but I know next to nothing about guns. What book/DVD/website would provide me with the knowledge I need to write action sequences?

Thanks

jjfuller1 09-04-2011 11:43 AM

tom clancy is a wonderful weapon/action scene writer. especially his books clear and present danger, rainbow six, a few others. however if you seek to learn there are also books like the encyclopedie of guns. it has a lot of weapons historys, and attributes. however there is so much information on this subject and having hands on exprience shooting is a great way to learn. ask a friend if you can tag along to a range sometime. good luck.

c3shooter 09-04-2011 12:34 PM

Rather than attempting to develop an encyclopedic knowledge of ALL firearms (How long does that take? Don't know- I'm at 60+ years and still learning) might I suggest that you identify WHICH firearms might be involved in a story line, and study the daylights out of those?

Wordsmiths chop a HUGE hole in their literary boat when they lose their technical accuracy.
Example- the antebellum novel- "The heady scent of the dogwood blossoms wafted forth on the cool night air..."- but dogwoods HAVE no scent.

Example- "The shooter calmly placed a fresh clip in his Colt revolver."- but there is a difference between a clip and a magazine, and revolvers do not use either one.

In the meantime, we don't mind questions here. Scorn, ridicule and derision are normally reserved for really dumb OPINIONS and poseurs. We may also refer you to some information sources for further edification.

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of--but do it in private and wash your hands afterwards. Robert Heinlein, Notebooks of Lazarus Long

usmcprofessional 09-04-2011 12:54 PM

i agree with c3. just make sure you get the tecnical down. i hate reading how a guy opens up with a full auto AK but the hero covers behind a car door just in time. damn you hollywood

jjfuller1 09-04-2011 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usmcprofessional (Post 574434)
i agree with c3. just make sure you get the tecnical down. i hate reading how a guy opens up with a full auto AK but the hero covers behind a car door just in time. damn you hollywood

very true... as i finished reading that it something clicked. they are fictional stories right? so why cant a door stop a bullet. hahahahaha

c3shooter 09-04-2011 04:02 PM

J- there is a difference between fiction and fantasy.

For a door that stops center fre rifle bullets, would suggest the door of the vault at the local bank. :p

usmcprofessional 09-04-2011 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjfuller1 (Post 574496)
very true... as i finished reading that it something clicked. they are fictional stories right? so why cant a door stop a bullet. hahahahaha

because i dont need a door, i got the force fool! what!

marklonewolf 09-04-2011 04:22 PM

Knowing the weapon being used is the best suggestion and what the Ammo can do. Just look at different guns that are for sale on different sites and what you think look good use it and a writers biggest mistake is not knowing what it even looks like it happens more time that you can imagine.

hydrashok 09-04-2011 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littlehorn (Post 574379)
I would like to incorporate weaponry into my fiction writing, but I know next to nothing about guns. What book/DVD/website would provide me with the knowledge I need to write action sequences?
Thanks

Instead of consulting other works - fiction or non-fiction - it's best to just consult with a "technical advisor" to get your realism down.

I was recently a technical advisor for a movie regarding medical realism and firearms realism. I helped the props guys and the set dressers set up the actors to make the scenes believable.

It's important to make sure your weapons and capabilities "fit". I don't know a single police officer who carries a Hi-Point on duty (although I've come across a few security guards...), and I don't know a single police officer who carries a Desert Eagle .50 cal on duty... although I once met a paramedic who carries one as his daily concealed carry.

I know by first-hand experience that the door on a 1980 Dodge pickup *WILL* stop a .38spl fired at 22 meters away. I also know by first-hand experience that a 7.62x39 will completely penetrate a mobile home... through both exterior walls, two interior walls, and a couch. Based on that experience, I'm pretty sure it'll go through the door on that Dodge pickup.

jjfuller1 09-04-2011 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hydrashok (Post 574598)
Instead of consulting other works - fiction or non-fiction - it's best to just consult with a "technical advisor" to get your realism down.

I was recently a technical advisor for a movie regarding medical realism and firearms realism. I helped the props guys and the set dressers set up the actors to make the scenes believable.

It's important to make sure your weapons and capabilities "fit". I don't know a single police officer who carries a Hi-Point on duty (although I've come across a few security guards...), and I don't know a single police officer who carries a Desert Eagle .50 cal on duty... although I once met a paramedic who carries one as his daily concealed carry.

I know by first-hand experience that the door on a 1980 Dodge pickup *WILL* stop a .38spl fired at 22 meters away. I also know by first-hand experience that a 7.62x39 will completely penetrate a mobile home... through both exterior walls, two interior walls, and a couch. Based on that experience, I'm pretty sure it'll go through the door on that Dodge pickup.

where were you for the movie sniper... he made a headshot on a counter sniper from 700 to 1000yrds with a pistol while being shot at. you mean it was fake? lol