Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Best Book or .com for newbie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2011, 01:00 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 37 Times on 16 Posts

Default Best Book or .com for newbie

I am reading all the mags my Dad sent with me, but can anyone recommend a book or a website that can give me some good basic knowledge on firearms and ballistics? Something like "guns for dummies" would like to understand the cal. vs. mm vs. .###. Really bugs me that I dont know this stuff. Like why is it a .45acp if it isnt just for a colt? I am sure these questions are silly to you all, but I am serious about leatning all I can.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-28-2011, 06:19 AM   #2

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 94

"The Definitive Firearms Site"... ChuckHawks.com

Old 11-28-2011, 09:58 AM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2665 Times on 1551 Posts
Likes Given: 1182

I am glad to hear that you are so interested in learning.
click on this:
Find NRA Near You

see if they have a training session near you (also check the yellow pages for firearms training in your local area)

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 11-28-2011, 10:47 AM   #4
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6759 Times on 4085 Posts
Likes Given: 8090

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelRockRebel View Post
I am reading all the mags my Dad sent with me, but can anyone recommend a book or a website that can give me some good basic knowledge on firearms and ballistics? Something like "guns for dummies" would like to understand the cal. vs. mm vs. .###. Really bugs me that I dont know this stuff. Like why is it a .45acp if it isnt just for a colt? I am sure these questions are silly to you all, but I am serious about leatning all I can.
Bel, I know exactly how you feel. I started here with almost no knowledge of guns but a strong interest to learn. I feel I have come a long way and all I did was ask a gazillion questions here. I have a lot of free time and I'm thinking you might not with your children the ages they are. Mine are all grown so I am at a different stage of life.

Your questions are NOT silly and no one here will think of your questions as such. Sometimes I'd be reading a thread and I'd have a question that I felt would hijack the thread so I started this thread...........

click here for Random Questions thread

Feel free to use it. I have never had a question go unanswered.

I agree, ammunition and calibers, mm and things like 7.62 NATO, etc. is confusing and is STILL confusing to me. The subject is so vast it is mind boggling when you start to get into different weights of bullets, different powders, etc. What someone said to me once here on the forum was to first learn all about the ammunition my guns use. Then build my knowledge up from there. I have decided for now I don't need to worry about the various rifle calibers as I don't own a rifle right now. But if I were to want a rifle, I would first determine what kind of rifle would suit my needs then learn from there. It is almost too overwhelming to try to encompass it all at once. Believe me, some here may remember my early frustration with calibers and ammunition. Taking a step back helped a lot.

Someone will come along here and give you a link to different calibers and various ammunition.

Your interest and eagerness is great and you'll be surprised at how quickly you'll soak up the knowledge.

Last edited by winds-of-change; 11-28-2011 at 11:06 AM.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:43 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8440 Times on 3662 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

Not a dumb question at all- but a VERY large field of endeavor. Designations of cartridges is a study in change, in marketing, personal vanity, and multi-nationalism.

There are several good references that cover MOST of the cartridges out there- such as Frank Barnes Cartridges of the World (if you are not a cartridge collector, see if the library can snag you a copy )

I have about a thousand cartridges in my collection, and that only brushes the surface. This, with it's links, will get you started- Click HERE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartridge_(firearms)

America and Britain used the inch system- so a .44 fires a bullet ABOUT 44/100ths of an inch in diameter. Europeans used the metric system- instead of a .32, they have a 7.65 mm round.

Some of the names are marketing and copyright- since Colt invented the .45 Auto as it is know known, they named the cartridge the .45 Automatic Colt Pistol. Smith and Wesson invented the .40 Smith & Wesson so you see .40 S&W on guns not made by them- THEY own the name.

Some names, like 45-70, were the caliber (45) and number of grains of black powder (70) The 30-06 is a .30 cal rifle cartridge, created in 1906. The 7.62x39 is a 7.62 mm bullet in a 39mm case- but Europeans and Americans measure bore diameter differently. 9mm Luger is PROPERLY called 9mm Parabellum, but could be called other names as well. And there are a BUNCH of "9mm" rounds that are different sizes, for different guns.

This is an extensive field of study on its own. Do as much reading as you can, and get back to us with questions. We won't bite- really.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 11-28-2011, 09:57 PM   #6

Try going to the website: Cornered Cat It is designed specifically for women, but I read it regularly as it has information on MANY topics in addition to "caliber" info. Hope this helps you.

Freedom is the will to be responsible to ourselves. ~Nietzsche

Old 11-29-2011, 12:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Sgt
Try going to the website: Cornered Cat It is designed specifically for women, but I read it regularly as it has information on MANY topics in addition to "caliber" info. Hope this helps you.
Great site! And thank you all for sharing your, knoweledge and experience! You all are being so kind to the girl with all the boys who can't carry in her ass- backwards state of Illinois.

I might just start a boy band, if it weren't for wrestling, baseball, football, drivers ed, grange, blah, blah, blah, oh, and now...shooting!

Old 11-29-2011, 01:54 PM   #8
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6759 Times on 4085 Posts
Likes Given: 8090

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
We won't bite- really.
And those that do bite will be required to wear a muzzle and be kept on a short leash.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:29 PM   #9

I just picked up the 103rd edition of the Shooter's Bible! Would it make me a nerd if I brought it to a gun shop and took notes while they answered my questions?

Old 12-18-2011, 02:53 PM   #10

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change

And those that do bite will be required to wear a muzzle and be kept on a short leash.
gosh darn it!

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------