Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Been sitting a while (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/been-sitting-while-51319/)

rferguson61 11-07-2011 04:21 AM

Been sitting a while

I have recently (to my fathers delight) gotten big into guns and just bought my first one (Savage 110E .270) from auctionarms.com. My dad and I are going to try to catch the second elk season. His guns havent been shot in at least 10 years if not more. I'm getting a cleaning kit for my gun and was going to be nice and clean his up for him. Is there any concern about it having sat for so long? Also is there anything I should do when I clean it besides just running the rods through? Thanks

c3shooter 11-07-2011 10:56 AM

Depends. You told us what YOU got, did not tell us what your DAD has.

Simply having sat for a while is not a problem- rifles are patient. Your do want to check for lube that has dried out, gotten sticky, etc. Got an owner's manual for your rifle?

rferguson61 11-07-2011 02:19 PM

The rifle he has its also a .270 but I don't know what brand. Same with his .22 no idea what brand. And he was a Wetherby 12 gauge. Where all should I look for lube?

c3shooter 11-07-2011 03:10 PM

Bolt action, right? Would pull stock from action, check trigger group for dried grease, etc. Pull bolt, couple of drops of lubricant on the bolt, trigger group, not too much. There are dozens, nay hundreds of different products. CLP works, as does Rem-oil (any sporting goods store) Clean bore good, check screws for snug.

Trez 11-07-2011 04:35 PM

Do what C3 says and youll be fine....
Guns are patient, I think I was the first to shoot my Arisaka since it was "taken" from its previous owner in the Pacific.. ;)

JTJ 11-07-2011 05:07 PM

Dont expect great accuracy immediately after re assembly. It will take some rounds to seat the action. Torque the screws to the proper inch pounds if you can get hold of an inch pound torque wrench or screw driver.

rferguson61 11-07-2011 07:14 PM

Awesome! Thanks guys. :)

fmj 11-07-2011 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 621492)
Depends. You told us what YOU got, did not tell us what your DAD has.

Simply having sat for a while is not a problem- rifles are patient. Your do want to check for lube that has dried out, gotten sticky, etc. Got an owner's manual for your rifle?

Boy, mine must defective. If they havent been shot in a while, i hear them yammering and carrying on about how i ignore them and how its abusive to force them to sit so long in that dark safe!

:rolleyes::D:rolleyes::D:rolleyes::D:rolleyes:

BenLuby 11-08-2011 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fmj (Post 621809)
Boy, mine must defective. If they havent been shot in a while, i hear them yammering and carrying on about how i ignore them and how its abusive to force them to sit so long in that dark safe!

:rolleyes::D:rolleyes::D:rolleyes::D:rolleyes:

You keep yours locked in a SAFE???? Someone call DFCS (Department of Firearm Care and Servicing!!) Locked in a safe. Animal.

therewolf 11-08-2011 06:30 PM

Be sure the guns are unloaded, then I would check the

barrel and especially clean the chamber, and inspect

very carefully with a bore-sight

for dried lubricant.

What happened with me was I chambered a round on

some dried oil or grease which had turned gummy over a couple years,

and wound up with a world class jam. It took quite a bit of

light oil and coaxing to remove the stuck bullet.