Bad day at the range
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Bad day at the range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2010, 12:31 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Bad day at the range

I found out yesterday that I was left eye dominant. The problem is I'm right handed. They were having ccdw class out at the range, so I waited till they were thru qualifying. I put up my target then load up my XDM 45 and I'm ready to go. Normally I shoot with both eyes open but I found myself having to close my left eye and hold a little right to keep it in the center to low center. The last two clips I didn't even put the first five on the target. I'm used to throwing an occasional one off target but five? I shot 100 rounds and the last two clips were most depressing. Anyone have any suggestons on how I might deal with the cross dominance issues?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-10-2010, 03:19 AM   #2

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Keep both eyes open, but either put a piece of scotch tape across the left eye of your glasses, or a smear of vaseline. This will train your weak eye to take up the slack, while still training you to use both eyes.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 10-10-2010, 03:24 AM   #3

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

I disagree. I don't think you ought to try to train yourself into being right-eye-dominant. I doubt it will happen. Your brain is now hard-wired and why try to fight it? In a critical situation you want EVERYTHING on your side you can.

Cross-dominant people generally shoot (if they are going to use their dominant left eye) with their head tilted far to the right, looking through the left eye.

It just becomes part of the drawing/pointing/aiming process. Mrs. CHLChris just drops her head over to the right and sights her gun with her left eye.

I wouldn't fight your own nature, IMO.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 10-10-2010, 03:26 AM   #4

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Keep both eyes open, but either put a piece of scotch tape across the left eye of your glasses, or a smear of vaseline. This will train your weak eye to take up the slack, while still training you to use both eyes.
I noticed the kid on Top Shot always had something on the left lense of his safety glasses. Now I know...he must have been cross eye dominant. Thanks for the education...

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 10-10-2010, 03:40 AM   #5

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
I disagree. I don't think you ought to try to train yourself into being right-eye-dominant. I doubt it will happen. Your brain is now hard-wired and why try to fight it? In a critical situation you want EVERYTHING on your side you can.

Cross-dominant people generally shoot (if they are going to use their dominant left eye) with their head tilted far to the right, looking through the left eye.

It just becomes part of the drawing/pointing/aiming process. Mrs. CHLChris just drops her head over to the right and sights her gun with her left eye.

I wouldn't fight your own nature, IMO.
positively agree. Im a normal IDPA shooter.left eye dominant right handed.

Im pretty good at it. Brought hardware home from the nationals in Tulsa a few weeks ago.

GET USED TO IT.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 10-10-2010, 03:57 AM   #6

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

You are merely making your weak eye stronger by blurring out the strong eye, and creating muscle memory. It is easy to do, and works.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 10-10-2010, 10:06 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies so far. Although my optometrist said I was left eye dominant with the hold your hand out and make a circle with both eyes open, focus on something, and bring it back to your face method, if I do the triangle test where you make a triangle with your hands and then close one eye and then the other, and the one you could still see the object you focused on is still there, I'm right eye dominant. Very confusing. This is one of two of my targets yesterday, this was probably 50 rounds out of 100 of ammo at 17-18 yards. My second one yesterday was worsethat this. I went today with 50 rounds (dropping $65.00 every weekend at the range can get a bit expensive, not to mention range fees) and less than half were even on the target. So frustrating. The half that did get on the target were with tape over my left lense. So I took the tape off and tried to go back to the way I shot yesterday but didn't seem to be able to hit anything. The one that did hit the center today I sighted with my left eye, but was unable to produce the shot twice so I marked it off as a fluke. I'm 47 years old and I have been an avid hunter since I was ten years old. Shotguns, deer rifles, bows, and plinked with pistols when I was younger. Just got back into pistol shooting and I'm progressively getting worse everytime I go out it seems. Never have I had this type of trouble, until I found out about the cross dominant eye, I thought I was just shooting low and left. I thought I might be jerking the trigger so I bought snap caps....that ain't it.

img_0078.jpg  

Old 10-10-2010, 10:16 PM   #8

Liked 1127 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

Looking at your patterns I feel you are left eye dominant as am I. you need to choose a solution and stick to it. For me it was to close my left eye. Took 3 months but it works for me.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:56 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Beege: I posted this on another spot. I'm right hand/left eye. I don't extend my arms completely out and pull down on my left elbow. This pulls the sights right in front of my left eye. From your target, I suggest problems with your grip and trigger pull. What kind of pistol is it? You might need to tweak the rear sight.