Avoid "Close-Minded" Syndrome - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Avoid "Close-Minded" Syndrome

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2009, 01:26 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 355 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER View Post
If you have a preferred mindset towards something, and it works for you then stick with it.
A cat that jumps on a hot stove quickly learns not to do that again.
It also learns not to jump on a cold stove either....

Just because an individual does something stupid once and gets away with it unscathed, does not mean that it will always be the case. There is strength in numbers. JMO.

I do try to keep an open mind, but I don't rely on that to guide my life - preferring to employ personal (and other's) experience and my internal BS detector instead. Those have served me extremely well over the years.

YMMV.

Old 10-24-2009, 01:29 PM   #12

Liked 355 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
However, I'm also of an age where I have acquired some wisdom and have some faith in my own judgment as well. It's a nice place to be.
Bravo!

Quote:
I really enjoy learning new things and my ego is such that I don't have any issues listening to experts.
That is where things go horribly wrong in most cases. Determining who is, and who isn't an "expert".

Last edited by Highpower; 10-24-2009 at 01:35 PM.

Old 10-24-2009, 01:43 PM   #13

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

The point of the thread is to not follow blindly without research on your own.

Take the advice of seasoned professionals, and use that advice if it is credible. What works for one person will not work for another, though. Don't be afraid to do your own research.

Would you buy a pistol without handling it at all just because a group of people say that is the best pistol ever?

Would you buy a car without taking it for a test drive just because lots of people say the car is the best?

Would you vote blindly for a president because lots of other people say he's great, and will fix the nations problems?

Don't take the same attitude towards learning about self defense. Don't follow blindly without researching things yourself. Keep your mind open, research things, and come to your own conclusions. If you determine that using the tactics taught by Clint Smith are the best for you, and the best pistol for you is a Smith and Wesson Model 10 revolver, don't let someone tell you different.

With that said, be sure to research from credible sources. Credible sources are professionals in the defensive firearm world. Use google and search the following people/places:

GunSite

Thunder Ranch

Tactical Response (I don't like the guy, but there is some good stuff in his lesson plans)

Clint Smith

Jeff Cooper

In fact, don't even take what I say on this forum as gospel...... I have no real credibility, so I encourage you to take anything I've said with a grain of salt. Do the research. It's worth it.

Old 10-26-2009, 01:36 AM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
I expect if taking advice from the masses includes people that have shot for many years, served in the military or in law enforcement. Yep those masses are EXactly who you should get advice from. It isn't so much "popular view" as it is real world experience. Imagine the qualified hands on experience to have a firearm to be considered good or bad. Not a single opinion but many people on on many forums expressing honest use of firearms and ammo.
Even still, that source is not always accurate in its conclusions.

Perfect example: the 9mm pistol round. Anyone with military experience knows that that round is not an adequate stopper... but there is always the unmentioned, vastly important detail that military rounds are FMJ. They don't use today's hottest, heaviest, and furthest-expanding loadings we have available as civilians, which have proven themselves much much more successful.

Not to turn this into another pistol cartridge flame fest, just giving an example to support the original point.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:44 PM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5686 Times on 2971 Posts
Likes Given: 377

when i try to make my mind up about a certain product i will look at buyer responses and weed out opinions of folks who most liekly are just trolling and try and go by previous experience with a given product. one of the things i almost discount out of hand are endorsements by people in the industry or who work for mass media organiziations or who run a business in that industry. it is just hard for me to trust some one who is getting paid to endorse products or write articles for media sources that get paid to advertise products.

the closer an information source is to the product i am interested the less weight their opinion carries for me.

when i was looking at getting my Ruger SR556 i was reading all i could about it all the opinions i could find. most of it was pretty much worthless as it devolved into "gas piston is bad bleh nyah!!". it was a little difficult to make up my mind since it is a new product and there isnt a lot out there on it. so i read a lot of opinions and using my previous experience i went looking for one to see it in person. i knew that some of the greatest battle rifles including the M1 Garand were a gas piston design the SR556 really intrigued me. when i saw it and held the weapon and inspected it in person i bought it.

anyway for me there is no hard and fast rule i just get as much info as possible sift out the BS, haters, trolls, and paid to endorse junk to get to the few nuggets of info that will help me to decide.